• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single best profit or loss on a comic deal?
3 3

104 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Say a 9.8 Cap Comics is discovered and it sells for $10M then the buyer sells it a decade later for a $100k profit...  As a percentage gain over time from a profit perspective, its a fart in the wind.  If that same person said "Hey I made $100k profit today", some may think its outstanding.  

$100,000 doesn't sound like a fart in the wind to me. I don't think holding something for a decade counts as a flip anyway.

Edited by october

5 minutes ago, romanheart said:

:applause:

May I ask what book you sold?

Some of you are a little sensitive about the 'flip' word. I know there are some who are primarily investors on the board so I was curious on your success.

It was an original Superman 1. I never even held it in my hands. Owned it but can't say I ever held it. I had it shipped direct from the auction house I won it from right to cgc (retro removal re grade) and then shipped direct to a different auction house. 

I've told this story many times, but in October of 2016 I bought a raw copy of ASM #16 for $175 BIN on eBay.  I had refreshed my feed and it just popped up.  The sellers pics were terrible but I thought the book looked decent and figured for the price it was worth the gamble.  I sent the book to CGC in November and got it back sometime around January.  It came back a 9.2.  Not sure what the going price is as it won't be leaving my PC but all said and done its been my best purchase to date.

asm_16_large.jpg

fJ0kqsL - Imgur.jpg

I bought plenty of books out of the bargain bins that I have sold for $100 or more. So have a lot of guys on these boards. Are those my best sales because they happened to be the highest percentage point in gains? I don't think so.

Edited by october

3 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

I didn't even know this was possible. You literally the restorations removed?

Yes, it is allowed.  I think it's kinda screwy that the marketplace encourages it, but it does.   Kudos to Junk for playing the game perfectly.  

As far as percentage vs amount discuss... it all depends on the market. With a market like ours it most likely pays off to make percentage because of demand and profit margin. 

Real estate in comparison makes more sense to deal with much much smaller percentage when flipping because the amounts are astronomical and the demand is much bigger. 

Flipping a 50,000$ comic is a lot more difficult and time consuming then flipping a house for the same amount.  MOST collectors and even dealers don't deal with these amounts on a daily basis

Flipping a few 25$ comics for 75 is more realistic. 

There are always exceptions to the role but if I were to be realistic I would always look to make at least 3 times the amount I have invested in a book and at least anywhere from 15-30% the amount on a house

My recent good flip was actually on Craigslist. I picked up hundreds of Manga books from a retired dealer a few months ago and flipped them same week for 3,500 profit. Was the easiest cash money I ever made off comics 

2 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Before (restored) and after (blue label) 

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG

That is just strange.  A CGC 7.0 Blue would be what - a $700,000 book?  And it goes for $30 - $35k in a purple case.  So a restored copy is only worth 5% of the unrestored copy?

3 hours ago, romanheart said:

I was curious to know what kind of deals the big flippers on this board have had which have been noteworthy in profit gain and/or loss on a comic book deal.

For myself, I have made roughly $100-200 on a deal at most and roughly lost the same when I have sold.

This is a terrible idea for a thread. Financials should be kept private. Why don't you start a who's got the biggest thread also. Nothing positive can come from bragging about flips. :boo:

I think its been long enough ago to share, but many 5-6 years ago there was a craigslist ad for free comics being given away locally.  And there was no pictures, but a partial list attached.  The list looked pretty good, so I went about 15 minutes before it started.  It was a huge room in and old house with like 20 long boxes.  A guys roommate had moved out when the guy got married.  The roommate left his comics in the room, and it had been six months since the roommate had made ANY contact with them.  The new wife, now pregnant, just wanted the comics OUT.

Here's the books I remember getting, all the books were in comic long boxes but NONE of them were in bags and boards.  There were no duplicates, mostly found in runs.  Most of it was 80's-90's drek, but there were some gems. All were direct, no newsstands.

Xmen 92-143 (low to mid grade)

Preacher 1 (had it graded to CGC 9.0, but sold at peak of Preacher hype)

Swamp Thing 49-53

Nightwing 1 New 52

Groo 1 (not valuable but cool!)

Tales of the Teen Titans 44 (graded to CGC 9.8 UNPRESSED)

Batman 457

New Teen Titans 1,2, 16 (VF)

A couple of Hughes Power Girl sketch covers, can't remember which ones.

A couple of Usagi Yojimbos

A bunch of other minor keys in VFish range - AA10, MOS 17-18, probably a half short box of stuff that.

A few early Turtle books, but not the really valuable ones.

There were a couple of other major books I got too, just can't remember now.

Books I missed out on but saw other people get or were obviously missing in the runs:

NM 87, 98

TMNT 1 (I think the 1st print), and other early valuable TMNT

Supmerman Muhammad Ali

There were a bunch of other good trades I think but I didn't know much about which were valuable.

Ms Marvel 16-18 (the mystique stuff)

She Hulk 1

Obviously the key book would have been TMNT 1, but I think overall the books I sold from that lot got me about $1600, and I still have some of them as part of my collection.  But suffice it to say that it was an exciting morning.

20 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is a terrible idea for a thread. Financials should be kept private. Why don't you start a who's got the biggest thread also. Nothing positive can come from bragging about flips. :boo:

From what I can see throughout the entire universe of collectibles, whether it's cars, cards, coins or comics or whatever it's ALL about bragging and spoon measuring. I have xxx. So do I but mine is still Sealed. But I have a case of them, yeah well I have the mold that made them. Admit you've never fell into such a conversation. 

3 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

From what I can see throughout the entire universe of collectibles, whether it's cars, cards, coins or comics or whatever it's ALL about bragging and spoon measuring. I have xxx. So do I but mine is still Sealed. But I have a case of them, yeah well I have the mold that made them. Admit you've never fell into such a conversation. 

You have a xxx still sealed? Really missing out!

1 minute ago, Junkdrawer said:

Yes, all the stuff you mentioned is fine to talk and brag: highest graded, biggest hoard, most valuable, etc. However the details of how much you paid and what you sold it for should be private. I have never asked anyone, family or friends, what their net worth is and I don't want to know.