• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does everyone feel about ss on older comics
2 2

48 posts in this topic

I can't do SS books either.  I know quite a few who like them signed but to me I feel like a perfectly nice book was just degraded a by the sig.  I've seen a few slabs signed and I think that's a great idea for those who like sigs.  It's not ruining a book while associating the artist/writer with their work.  If I ever nabbed a sig I would rather have it on a poster of a comic.  

I prefer not buying signed silver age books.  They never look as nice to me for some reason.  I like the look of signed bronze age or newer books, so I don't really know the reason.  This applies to all silver age books unless it's signed by Carmine Infantino... I've always been tempted by that Showcase 8 signed by him

I'm okay with older books that were signed prior to the existence of CGC since they were either signed on the inside first page or in pen on the cover.  I'm not a fan of signatures written with a sharpie or metallic pen.  So for older books, I think it's cooler to have a SS that is written with a regular pen versus a sharpie or other marker, but I don't see to many of those floating around. 

I'm not sure if this will make sense, but I prefer a key book with an autograph versus an autograph on a key book.  

I absolutely dislike the sharpie signatures on comics.  Back in the 70s I had Carl Barks and Jack Kirby sign the covers of some of my books, but they used a ball point pen and discreetly placed the signatures so they look good.  Later, in the 90s I was at the SD show and picked up some Spiderman books.  This one was in the group, and Stan's sig didn't even catch my eye...(I must have been blind that day), but I don't mind it because it's in ball point pen.  Ah, the good old days...but if someone offered me a sharpie sig on a book, I'd say..."What's that for, lining my trash can?":insane:

21999505616_5997868fe5_c.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

On 9/10/2017 at 3:34 PM, TomDehnert said:

Just wondering what everyones opinions are on buying signed silver age books. Reason i ask is im about to buy hulk 2 i could by a copy signed by stan lee or i could buy a clean 4.0 the price really isnt much different. I just dont like where the signature is on the signed copy. Stans great but i also like a clean cover. Whats everyone opinions?

Makes the unsigned copies worth more.  Since Stan signs everything I really don't feel that his signature adds any value.