• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX Reputation Rehab?
3 3

235 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

You guys were talking about a "slab only" and about "label fraud" and "stickers on the inside" (of an ungraded book), right?  Did I misunderstand the conversation? 

That's what I was responding to.   If there is no assigned grade (no resto check, etc..), what's the point of a label?  Why would you need a company sticker?  What "fraud prevention" would need to be in place?   Why would you need anything other than the slab itself?  That's what I was trying to say.     

Mackenzie was talking about potential fraud stemming from printing fake high-grade labels and slipping them into these hypothetical slabbed/ungraded book slabs.  I think Mac proposed this would be easier in the hypothetical situation as you'd only have to slip a label into the slab, you wouldn't have to remove one as you would if you did it with a graded book. 

I merely said that if that were a real concern, an interior sticker exclusive to slabbed/ungraded books would be an easy fraud deterrent.  If a slab has both a label and a sticker present, one would know that an aftermarket label has been slipped into an ungraded case.  Besides, the sticker could be their way of branding this hypothetical product, preventing it from being mistaken for competitors who may start doing the same thing. 

But again, I don't think a slabbed/ungraded book would open up a whole slew of fraud cases.  I don't think Mackenzie really did either.  Just thinking (typing?) out loud. 

Edited by Turtle

13 hours ago, mosconi said:

Hate to beat this dead horse any further, but if anyone wants to see how PGX's Silver Age grading compares to CGC, here's an example of their 4.5 O.o in comparison to the only CGC 4.5 that I own (My scanner cut off the bottom portion of the ASM #3 but their are no tears or chips on the book).  

PGX asm 4.jpg

asm 3231.jpg

While I would call the PGX a 3.5 at a glance, the CGC book certainly has something wrong that is not showing on the FC. I own loads of low grade books. This is not an accurate representation of both companies

On 9/14/2017 at 2:25 PM, woowoo said:

I have never seen this story?. PGX is not in the same class as CGC we all know that. I have talked to Daniel and he is not a total  dummy on comic book's and I hope that this is not true hm. I agree they do over grade on most books but not all. I have seen stories where a CGC book has been sent to them after cracked out and come back with a lower grade than CGC gave the book or the same. I will be the first to say I only trust CGC grading 100%. if I was buying (thumbsu

It did happen to a great person here. I'll  let him chime in if he wants to.

36 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

While I would call the PGX a 3.5 at a glance, the CGC book certainly has something wrong that is not showing on the FC. I own loads of low grade books. This is not an accurate representation of both companies

Here's a scan of the ASM #3 back cover.  There is definitely some wear and light creases on the bc that affects the grade. 

asm 3 bc382.jpg

Edited by mosconi

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Mackenzie was talking about potential fraud stemming from printing fake high-grade labels and slipping them into these hypothetical slabbed/ungraded book slabs.  I think Mac proposed this would be easier in the hypothetical situation as you'd only have to slip a label into the slab, you wouldn't have to remove one as you would if you did it with a graded book. 

I merely said that if that were a real concern, an interior sticker exclusive to slabbed/ungraded books would be an easy fraud deterrent.  If a slab has both a label and a sticker present, one would know that an aftermarket label has been slipped into an ungraded case.  Besides, the sticker could be their way of branding this hypothetical product, preventing it from being mistaken for competitors who may start doing the same thing. 

But again, I don't think a slabbed/ungraded book would open up a whole slew of fraud cases.  I don't think Mackenzie really did either.  Just thinking (typing?) out loud. 

I think if they really went this route, you could make it all much easier and just change the slab in a way that's obvious (ie. maybe there's not top portion of the slab where the label would usually go), without changing it so much that it would effect costs.

12 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

There are a lot of people that, to be honest, don't know jack.  Doesn't stop them from spouting off though.   Lots of "side choosing".   There are some good people posting as well, but too much nonsense to wade thru to read something worth reading.   Better just to come here.  Yeah, there's some nonsense but much easier to find good content. 

What I figured. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. 

3 hours ago, CKinTO said:

I think if they really went this route, you could make it all much easier and just change the slab in a way that's obvious (ie. maybe there's not top portion of the slab where the label would usually go), without changing it so much that it would effect costs.

Bingo.  And that's what I was envisioning when I initially responded.  I was stuck in traffic on my last response, so didn't have time to elaborate.  A separate slab for the "slab only" option.  Probably would cost them some bucks up front to create a new mold for that purpose.  Not sure it's "worth it" to them.  Even at $5 to slab the book, by the time you have to/return shipping, you're looking at $15-20/book to slab.  A mylar and two fullbacks will run you what, $3-5? 

In any case, the new slab doesn't spread like the old ones did.  And, I think, the label is inserted into the inner well now.  It's more "tamper proof" now than ever. 

On 9/12/2017 at 8:08 PM, thehumantorch said:

Glad to see you posting again Steve.  

Nothing has changed for PGX.  In general their books sell for less and most serious collectors know the 'company' has 'issues'.  

There's a lot of PGX graded books out there and I'd imagine all of the major auction houses have been offered collections to sell containing PGX books.  Out of curiosity I checked Heritage Auctions and couldn't find any 'PGX' books in their 'Past Sales' archive.  Comiclink doesn't have a searchable Past Sales archive so couldn't search there but I think I've seen PGX books there. 

I don't believe Heritage accepts PGX books.  CLink and CC do, or at least they did.  

Some have posted that they submitted a PGX to CGC and it came back a higher grade.  This would seem to indicate PGX is stricter. except there are as many cases of PGX books that came back a lower grade.  The takeaway is that they cant grade.  Over, under,-wrong both ways.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Some have posted that they submitted a PGX to CGC and it came back a higher grade.  This would seem to indicate PGX is stricter. except there are as many cases of PGX books that came back a lower grade.  The takeaway is that they cant grade.  Over, under,-wrong both ways.

Kav  its like a bad girlfriend that you say I will never go back than you do.:signfunny:

1 minute ago, woowoo said:

Kav  its like a bad girlfriend that you say I will never go back than you do.:signfunny:

THIS TIME I MEAN IT!