Newbie Dell Comics Duck Question - Donald Duck #26

21 posts in this topic

30 posts

Hi All,

This is something I have wondered for a while - as I have been looking for a nice copy of this issue and haven't come across one.

I love the cover for Donald Duck 26. I don't buy many books, so when I do, I try for a CGC 7 or better quality wise.  However, this book really never shows up in that grade or higher.

Why is that?  Is this just a not heavily collected series, so people arent having them graded? Are they just hard to find in higher grades because they were marketed to smaller kids?

Just looking for a little education on the Dell Duck books :)

Thank you!

4164623.jpg

8,211 posts

Hey that would go nice with my Little Lulu 16.  Hmmm...

But to your question...yes, they were printed in huge numbers, widely distributed, bought mainly by kids and the *spoon* was read out of them.  So something along the lines of a 7.0 is going to be tough.   Maybe lower your standards a bit and go with more presentation than overall grade.

Edited by CKB
spooned!

1,154 posts

38 Blue 1 PLOD (Purple label)

19 graded at 7.0 and above.   Since  your supply is pretty low, the price will be high.

8.0 went for $501.90 in August 2017 Heritage Auction.  Depending on where you reside, you may have to add sales tax to the final cost.  Before the 8.0, there have been no Heritage Auctions of slabbed copies since 2010.

I tried to win a Four Color 238 Blue 9.0 on Heritage, but quit at $775.  With Buyer's Premium and Sales Tax, the next bid would be over GPA.

1,489 posts

Here is my copy.

I am no expert at grading, however, I would guess that I too fall below your 7.0 expectation.

Keep looking.  They are out there IF you really want one.

DD26.jpeg

454 posts

Disney comics like Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories are probably the most popular comics ever. In the 50s and into the 60s each title was selling well over a million copies a month I think. Also I think they were just comics that were read a million times, passed from person to person and kids probably kept them longer and read them more, so they are usually beat to heck.

15,647 posts

For some reason, the Gerber Guides scarcity index was a little higher than it was for other contemporary Duck books, and it's certainly tough in grade. My copy would probably fall in the 6.0-6.5 range.

donaldducktrickortreat.jpg

30 posts

Thank you all so much for the feedback - This all makes sense, especially considering the target audience at the time.

Ill keep my eyes out for a good presenting copy! I just love this cover too much!!!

30 posts
13 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

For some reason, the Gerber Guides scarcity index was a little higher than it was for other contemporary Duck books, and it's certainly tough in grade. My copy would probably fall in the 6.0-6.5 range.

donaldducktrickortreat.jpg

I would be thrilled with a copy that presents this nicely!!!  Really beautiful example you have!!

1,970 posts

If you ever want to make Don Rosa lose it at a convention, ask him to sign a copy of this issue.

Edited by mattn792

30 posts
19 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

If you ever want to make Don Rosa lose it at a convention, ask him to sign a copy of this issue.

I think I need to hear the backstory behind this . :)

1,970 posts

It's pretty widely known that Rosa is a total jerk unless you kiss his ___ and make absolutely no mention of Disney in his presence.

The only time I ever dealt with him was when someone asked me to see if he was doing sketches.  He wasn't interested in doing one, which was cool, but I still wanted to take a quick second to thank him for all he did for (some of my all time favorite characters) Uncle Scrooge, the nephews, and Donald...at which point his rebuke was "Donald Duck is Carl Barks" and he snidely turned away.  I could've pointed out that Donald is all over his work and the wall art of his booth, but it wasn't worth the grief.  F him.   

But since the issue you highlighted is a Carl Barks book...  :devil:

15,262 posts
5 hours ago, mattn792 said:

It's pretty widely known that Rosa is a total jerk unless you kiss his ___ and make absolutely no mention of Disney in his presence.

The only time I ever dealt with him was when someone asked me to see if he was doing sketches.  He wasn't interested in doing one, which was cool, but I still wanted to take a quick second to thank him for all he did for (some of my all time favorite characters) Uncle Scrooge, the nephews, and Donald...at which point his rebuke was "Donald Duck is Carl Barks" and he snidely turned away.  I could've pointed out that Donald is all over his work and the wall art of his booth, but it wasn't worth the grief.  F him.   

But since the issue you highlighted is a Carl Barks book...  :devil:

Wow.  sounds like D. R. is a bitter old man :( 

15,262 posts
15 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:
18 hours ago, Senormac said:

Wow.  sounds like D. R. is a bitter old man :( 

Sorry, but that forum name is already taken.lol

lol

6,864 posts

Donald.jpg.26619b7658114fc2c306b6f337dba789.jpg

here's mine bought from Heritage a few years back, they had it graded as a 6.0 (shrug)

5,469 posts

BTW, as originally published in DD #26, the story had several pages cut by Disney's editors because they were too spooky. The restored version was reprinted in Donald Duck Adventures #47 in 2005 - it's probably worth spending a couple of bucks to read it as Barks intended. The page I linked shows the restored first page, and its great splash panel.

9,774 posts

Isn't part of the condition problem due to the Halloween mask on the back?

Kids had more reason to destroy this issue.

0806058001b_1200.jpg