• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 with some issues

4 posts in this topic

I've posted the photo of the Marvel Value Stamp from this IH181 in some other threads and gotten interesting feedback, but I thought I might pick you all's brains on what kind of grade this would get overall.  The three main issues with this comic from my completely inexperienced eye are:

1. price is marked out with black marker

2. page yellowing that gets worse at the bottom

3. the MVS was cut out by the original owner, taped into the collectors book, removed from the collectors book then re-taped into the comic in the same position.

I've heard someone say that'd definitely get a Restoration grade, but another person said it'd be Qualified and posted CGC's views about tape.  He seemed to think it would get graded as if the stamp were not present, and points deducted for there being tape.  Do you all agree with that?  Given all the issues combined and the general state of the comic, what do you suppose a Qualified or even a Universal grade for this might be?

LCp0M6I.jpg

ft8rK3g.jpg

3xUjBUt.jpg

Thanks all for any help!

Edit: oh one more question since I'm here: Would the tape on the stamp cause any ill effects if I had this pressed?  And/or is there really any value in having a book in this shape pressed?

Edited by davebo357

well it is about a 4.0/4.5 if the stamp was never tampered with

I'd give it a shot at 3.0/3.5.....the way it is

CGC's issue on tape is not "restoration" as far as I know. I'm Curious though, because I had a comic come back 3.0 that "originally had tape", but I pulled it off. It doesn't say tape anywhere on the label though, it is blue/yellow with no resto. I guess it is possible that it says tape in the grader's notes, which I don't have.....

in short if your's gets blue label, my opinon it would just be labeled on the cover with a blue label saying where the tape is, such as "tape on cover". I don't know how they'd word it with the MVS, but perhaps "MVS added with tape" and if that is the case it may get green qualified label.....just because CGC might not be able to confirm that the MVS came from the same book....