• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wichita Eagle reports on FX Toys Joel Magee's purchase of AF 15
1 1

28 posts in this topic

The Wichita Eagle has reported on the purchase of an Amazing Fantasy 15 by "toy scout" buyer Joel Magee of FX Toys.  In a few words, FX Toys and Joel Magee have been the subject of numerous warnings of questionable buying/selling activities. 

At one time, there were two seperate BBB warnings - here is one: http://bit.ly/25FltyY.  I'm providing this for context as some of the questions and concerns this warning raises have reemerged in this recent incident.

A Google search on FX toys will direct you to a number of posts describing questionable selling practices on eBay.

Here is the online video and the online article - the latter includes a transcript of how he assessed the AF 15.

Do you guys think his $12k offer was fair?

Edited by comicwiz

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

It's hard to really see what's going on with the book from the photo (size).   It looks nicer than a 3 from the pic.   If it is around a 3, 12K cash sounds pretty fair to me.  

If you have a chance, watch the video. It looks like a solid mid-grade to me.  And his talk about the book being a "restoration candidate" (in the transcript of the online article) should give some clue as to whether this is someone that knows how to grade comics.

Thanks for the blow up.   Yeah, looks much better in that pic.  Solid mid-grade as you say.   12K is pretty "light" for that book.   You said the guy is a huckster, so not surprising.  You wouldn't expect that a dealer is going to pay GPA high for it, but the offer certainly should've been much higher (double?). 

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Thanks for the blow up.   Yeah, looks much better in that pic.  Solid mid-grade as you say.   12K is pretty "light" for that book.   You said the guy is a huckster, so not surprising.  You wouldn't expect that a dealer is going to pay GPA high for it, but the offer certainly should've been much higher (double?). 

It's an old guy, and he was looking for money to buy a house. That's probably the part that bugs me most. Most of the reputable guys on these boards who buy/sell will tell you they would have stepped-up for a book like that. I know I would have in a heartbeat.  It's also been years that I've seen this going on in toys, and to see him making a move in comics is infuriating to say the least. Someone should get one of these trucks in front of every show he sets-up:

truck_sign.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

6 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I could be missing something, but is that a pretty decent sized chip out of the lower left corner?  If so, how would that be considered mid-grade?  Just wondering.  

In the worst case (and I mean, entire piece missing, not chipping, or folded-in) I still don't see it dropping below a 4.5. I've seen mid-grades with Marvel chipping along the entire outer edge of the book. Also consider this book, time and time again, has demonstrated it's ability to sell for a premium when it presents better than it's assigned grade.

Edited by comicwiz

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

In the worst case (and I mean, entire piece missing, not chipping, or folded-in) I still don't see it dropping below a 4.5. I've seen mid-grades with Marvel chipping along the entire outer edge of the book.

Fair enough.  You're definitely right about the chipping with that book.  It's crazy how AF 15s will receive grades into the 5.0s with chipping along the right edge.  

I don't think he's too far off...  There is a 1" x 1" chunk missing out of the lower left corner of the front cover.  Add the writing and the rest of the dings and you're right around where it should be.  Couple that with the fact he knows he's on camera and its probably a bad time to disclose negotiation tactics right after getting a ton of negative press for offering 10% off value for toys (which is industry standard for a dealer).  I don't know any of the back story for this guy but this particular deal didn't come across as a bad one.

Edited by comicquant

7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

It's amazing how you guys are assigning a grade to this book without seeing the back cover.

Using the X-Ray Specs I bought as a kid I can see it just fine: a corner crease, slightly dirty and a light stain from a glass of Tang.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

after getting a ton of negative press for offering 10% of value for toys (which is industry standard for a dealer)

WOW, did not know this about the standard dealer payout percentages in the collectible toys market