• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior Cover Tanning

9 posts in this topic

Purchased some "hi grade" silver books - on many, the exterior.

This was an ebay purchase - I am protected if I want to return - but I would like to know more about this defect to see if we can work something out without the hassle.

Exterior - no sign of tanning. Interior - the start of a tan window.  Books are supposedly 9.2/9.4 - and on the outside do seem to be in that range. Pages are all supple - so the very worst of them might be CR-OW.

How bad is this? looking for general feel of how CGC may or may not hammer the grade.....59ceb4ba25806_tanning1.thumb.jpg.2a55e87b5eff59d36aa57a35da163645.jpgIMG_5283.thumb.JPG.64e44572cf33f8c78d8ffef73fb4036c.JPG

I submitted an ASM #46 not long ago (got it back in August) with the exact same tanning scenario.  Nothing on the front cover but light tanning on the interior cover.  When I sent it in I thought it was an 8.5 not taking the tanning into account.  It came back an 8.5 so I feel like it won't be hit too hard by graders. But I've been wrong before (once).

10 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I submitted an ASM #46 not long ago (got it back in August) with the exact same tanning scenario.  Nothing on the front cover but light tanning on the interior cover.  When I sent it in I thought it was an 8.5 not taking the tanning into account.  It came back an 8.5 so I feel like it won't be hit too hard by graders. But I've been wrong before (once).

thx - I have not gone through the whole lot - and I think this is one of the worst ones. Have to re-check overstreet when I get home - but I believe their general notes do not give me enough detail to be sure. More overall page quality - and not this...  ( and their examples are cover pics - not interior pics, lol).

The seller is saying close to the same thing - that the color alone is not as important as the page quality ( and I have seen CR-OW 9.6 CGC books) - while I generally agree ( and feel it is a buyers preference for this kind of issue) , I usually do not get the hi grade silvers in so seeing this worries me, lol - and want to be more confident as there is a huge difference in 9.2/9.4 and 8/8.5

quick edit/question - did they mention the tanning in the graders notes????

Edited by W16227

I have a Pogo Possum #5 with heavy tanning inside the covers. According to the notes, one grader gave it 9.2 without noting tanning (it looks 9.2 from outside IMHO). The other graders gave it 7.5. But the tanning is much worse than on yours - I've cracked it out since. I'm inclined to agree that it won't matter a lot for your book.

pogo_05.thumb.jpg.d2eadec6d5b6a5301a8cebfadc887831.jpg

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think it will modestly be taken into consideration by the graders, however, I do not think they will be 'hammered'.

THANKS - Just so much easier when it is like AJD's example, lol.... that full bloom tanning is something I would not expect in any higher grade book ( and I hammer that  when I grade) --- just such a FMV drop for these if many of the "9.4" candidates drop to a 9.0 ( or lower)..... and I like to do my homework when I am not sure...

On 9/30/2017 at 6:30 AM, AJD said:

According to the notes, one grader gave it 9.2 without noting tanning (it looks 9.2 from outside IMHO). The other graders gave it 7.5.

Can you explain how you do this (figure out what each grader gives it)? Do you have to call them?

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

Can you explain how you do this (figure out what each grader gives it)? Do you have to call them?

Yes, the info came from a phone call a helpful US-based boardie made for me. I was surprised it was broken down like that, but presumably that's because there was a big discrepancy in the grades assigned.