• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this legit CGC? Label/slab questions
1 1

21 posts in this topic

eBay link:

I was looking at this auction; is the label legit? Counterfeit? The info of the comic is there, but there isn't any CGC emblem logo on center of label printed, and is that hologram wonky looking? Is just an old slab? I looked at serial # and it is in the system, but is this legit? HELP

1 minute ago, VicMCotto said:

Thanks, it's legit.  Seller is mycomicshop and they're trustworthy.  You can see the 'CGC Universal Grade' designation along the top and the CGC hologram on the right of the label.  This is not the most recent generation of CGC case or label.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, Terrapin said:

FYI, you can usually buy the books they have on eBay cheaper on their own website. Don't know how they get away with it. That's only for bin books not auction.

I think theres usually a difference of around 10%.  if the book is less than $100, I'll buy it on ebay when ebay gives 15$ off.  Plus I might get 1-2% cash back from ebates, and that the savings add up.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:25 PM, Terrapin said:

FYI, you can usually buy the books they have on eBay cheaper on their own website. Don't know how they get away with it. That's only for bin books not auction.

No big secret or clandestine behavior, I believe these are consignment books and Lone Star doesn't set the asking price on a consignment although I believe they offer guidance and previous sales data to help a consignor.  But with different venues, many times, sellers may ask different prices based on fees on a particular site and they are free to ask what they wish, the market will ultimately too high or not.  Folks that sell books here for example (as an exclusive offering may tend to offer it lower than another site since there are fees incurred - outside of PP if that is the requested method but that is incurred wherever).  

The son's owner, Conan (@mycomicshop), is an active board member here and he has shared the methodology for the tap increase on Ebay and I believe too it does not cost the consignor additional fees to have the additional exposure on both the MCS and EBay sites.  Not trying to promote MCS necessarily, it just seemed like there may some thought of misdirection with the EBay listings and I do not believe that is the case.

54 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

I was wondering why eBay allows it given their policies.

I am not an EBay expert at all.  Which policies would prohibit it?  Just curious?  

I know other dealers list on their sites as well as ebay. Plus other sites at the same time wuth different asking prices.  

I just wasn't aware of any prohibition but again, it could be mu ignorance.

eBay just changed their policy so if they find you have sold something listed on their site outside the site they will charge you for the sellers fee. So you can no longer remove an item and sell it elsewhere in a way that eBay can track. This would seem to be one of the easier ones to track. I'm not sure how mycomicshop and other shops are dealing with this new policy.

12 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

eBay just changed their policy so if they find you have sold something listed on their site outside the site they will charge you for the sellers fee. So you can no longer remove an item and sell it elsewhere in a way that eBay can track. This would seem to be one of the easier ones to track. I'm not sure how mycomicshop and other shops are dealing with this new policy.

I am almost positive Lone Star (MCS) has some automated routine that automatically closes the EBay auction if it sells from their site.  The others I am unsure.  Maybe hte big ones Metropolis who lists on Ebay and CC/Metro does too but no doubt others are not as adept.  Can the seller still close an auction by choosing the item is no longer available or does that automatically incur fees?

22 minutes ago, telerites said:

I am almost positive Lone Star (MCS) has some automated routine that automatically closes the EBay auction if it sells from their site.  The others I am unsure.  Maybe hte big ones Metropolis who lists on Ebay and CC/Metro does too but no doubt others are not as adept.  Can the seller still close an auction by choosing the item is no longer available or does that automatically incur fees?

If they find you have sold it elsewhere you will be charged. I've heard some were charged even when they did not sell it off-site (it was a different copy of the same issue they had sold) and had to dispute the fee. Removing an item must trigger some flag for investigation. 

On 10/11/2017 at 11:44 AM, Terrapin said:

Nothing in eBay's policies prevents the same inventory from being offered for sale in other venues in addition to eBay. If buyers already know about those multiple venues, they can buy it wherever they want. And sellers are free to advertise the existence of their inventory anywhere they want as long as they don't do it on eBay, or in the context of messaging conducted through eBay.

Basically, if you're interrupting an existing transaction or in-progress communication with an ebay buyer and redirecting the deal elsewhere to avoid ebay fees, that's what eBay is cracking down on.

3 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

Nothing in eBay's policies prevents the same inventory from being offered for sale in other venues in addition to eBay. If buyers already know about those multiple venues, they can buy it wherever they want. And sellers are free to advertise the existence of their inventory anywhere they want as long as they don't do it on eBay, or in the context of messaging conducted through eBay.

Basically, if you're interrupting an existing transaction or in-progress communication with an ebay buyer and redirecting the deal elsewhere to avoid ebay fees, that's what eBay is cracking down on.

So would that mean you can withdraw a bin on eBay to sell it elsewhere but not an auction item?

10 hours ago, Terrapin said:
14 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

So would that mean you can withdraw a bin on eBay to sell it elsewhere but not an auction item?

I would think if an auction type listing has bids, it would be problematic unless there was an error in the listing.  I know I notified one seller of a GA book that had bids and was in the hundreds of dollars that the book had missing pages after asking for a page count.  The seller ended the listing and relisted with the pages missing noted.  Not sure if both the error and the relist made it possible but I assume if there is an error in the listing, sellers can end the auction and probably under no obligation to relist.   

Unless they need to show some proof to Ebay of the error, I also assume they could just that reason for any other scenarios.

On 10/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, revat said:

I think theres usually a difference of around 10%.  if the book is less than $100, I'll buy it on ebay when ebay gives 15$ off.  Plus I might get 1-2% cash back from ebates, and that the savings add up.

They appear to add the 10% commission, approx. shipping costs and if a consignment, the 3% charge for CC/paypal that you would also pay in their site when checking out. I've bought less expensive items from them through ebay as well when ebay is offering bonuses, or in one case when I had $30 in ebay bucks about to expire.

14 hours ago, Terrapin said:

If there's no interested ebay buyer already in communication with you about your listing, sure, you can end a BIN any time. But if a buyer is already communicating with you about the listing, you're not supposed to take the transaction elsewhere. That's fee avoidance.