Does Anyone still Read Spawn?

13 posts in this topic

10 posts

I LOVE Spawn, and always have. Let me make that clear.

My favorite issue was Spawn #100, which to me is CLASSIC. Back when Angela was still an Image character, that fight between Spawn and Angela VS Malebolgia was unforgettable for me, even over 10 years later. Spawn #200 was amazing, as was the Armaggeddon storyline, the Morana storyline, etc. 

It just seems that lately the Spawn story-line reached a plateau. The series has been retconned several times and I haven't collected an issue in some time, because I feel as though either Image ran out of stories for Spawn, or that Spawn's story is just done. Al Simmons died several times, came back several times, quit being Spawn, then is Spawn again, etc. I have to catch up on my reading to see where they are at.

Does anyone here read Spawn currently, and if so what are your thoughts? 

Feel free to disagree, I'd appreciate any feedback.  

Spawn.jpg

8,534 posts

Funny you posted this, I was planning to resurrect an old thread. 

Since Simmons came back, it's been up and down.  Not really too great.  The Larsen run was a bad decision IMO. 

But the last arc has been pretty darn good.  I love Alexander's art, how they are growing some of Simmons' recent decisions in the new arc, the Cyan character, and the influence of Japan.  

Patrick

4,980 posts

I haven't read Spawn since the 90s. For years I've 'planned' to go back and binge read through to see if I'd missed anything worthwhile. I figure, that many issues, there must be a good arc or three.

Someone must still be reading it... Comichron shows it between 15,000 to 20,000 copies per issue over the last couple of years.

451 posts

Still reading and prefer the newer direction it is going. Current Art gives it a nice creepy vibe.

6,656 posts

I've been buying them again for a couple of years, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. They're sitting in a box...waiting. They look pretty nice, though!

575 posts

I haven't been reading it, but I do like the art in recent issues. So, I pick them up from time to time for that.

10,279 posts

The current arc, Dark Horror, is good thus far. I can see it being sought after in the future.

Edited by ygogolak

20,532 posts

I am trying to put together the run out of dollar boxes if I can, would probably go higher for some of those gunslinger issues.  But no, I probably stopped actually reading it in the 30s or 40s.

With that said, my shop puts as many out on the rack as the typical mid-tier marvel or DC title, unlike many small titles where he might only have 2 or 3 copies, so he must be selling them, because I don't see them in the cheap box 3 months later.

10 posts

Spawn has literally been retconned so many times that comic fans tend to categorize Spawn as "First Age, "Second Age", Third Age", etc. Supposedly he was his most powerful when he was "God Spawn" acquiring god-status after eating from the Forbidden Tree. This is how we was able to deter God and Satan and re-create Earth after Armageddon. His 2nd most powerful form was right before he defeated Urizen (with Angela's help), because he had full access to the Green-World.

I stopped at about issue #250-251, because they kept erasing some of the key story line components that really made the mythology solid. I'm not even sure where they are at now, I lost track. As a Spawn fan, I am embarrassed to say I haven't bought a Spawn issue in a long time.

If they ever resurrect the "Curse of the Spawn" saga, I probably would pick that up, it was an interesting anthology. 

8,534 posts

On a vacation last week, I ran into a sizeable portion of Spawn 120 thru 160. 

Was happy to bring a bunch of them home.  

I just can't get enough of Spawn 147!

Patrick

Spawn_147-1.png

33 posts

Ive been a fan since 93' and read them all.   Spawn is responsible for getting me into comics, twice(!) (once when I was a kid and once when I found my old spawns a few years ago).

I like the new comics and story, but I found myself reading with much more enthusiasm on earlier runs (pre-250).  I dont care much for she spawn, new NYX or a new costume.  I'd take Capullo art over Alexander art any day as well. 

With that being said the story is still kinda early and hints at some big things coming, so hopefully im pleasantly surprised.

1 post

Yup am collecting the new issues on subscription and collecting back issues on eBay.

Love Spawn!

>:0)