• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dry clean color loss
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I had a book dry cleaned by an experienced amateur (a friend). The book looks much better but the is some slight color loss around an area that previously had a prominent black mark. You can only really notice the color loss if you know where to look under magnification. 

My question is...since this is noticable, would it possibly be considered restoration? I was under the impression that cleaning is not considered restoration.

Before and after pics attached. 

6BD6C1AF-EE10-453E-A360-6B22B07511FB.jpeg

BAFD4017-94FA-4690-BC10-AE8602E12B2E.jpeg

I don't think your friend should have even attempted to remove that from the front cover. Just stick to the white areas of the Back Cover. It shouldn't be considered restoration, as long as he only did a dry wipe, no chemicals. However, CGC does not like this and it will be taken into account when grading. On a personal level I absolutely hate the sight of something like this. It's obviously not original to the book. Why would you give him nice book like this to work on ? 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't think your friend should have even attempted to remove that from the front cover. Just stick to the white areas of the Back Cover. It shouldn't be considered restoration, as long as he only did a dry wipe, no chemicals. However, CGC does not like this and it will be taken into account when grading. On a personal level I absolutely hate the sight of something like this. It's obviously not original to the book. Why would you give him nice book like this to work on ? 

Well, this book is intended for my personal collection and the back needed some work. I guess I don't see the harm in removing the black lines from the white portion of the front (I had asked him to try). From an eye appeal perspective, I think value was added (to my eye at least) by cleaning the front. 

I will say, however, that when I saw the color loss I was a bit worried that the value of the book would be diminished if the dry clean was then considered to be restoration. Thanks for the response, its appreciated.

5 hours ago, ned said:

It looks good, an improvement in my opinion.

Really? CGC or any grading company will hammer the loss of ink to the front cover. That book would have graded higher with the dirt left on it.

But...whatever floats your boat.

On 10/14/2017 at 8:26 PM, Rorsack said:

I guess I don't see the harm in removing the black lines from the white portion of the front (I had asked him to try). From an eye appeal perspective, I think value was added (to my eye at least) by cleaning the front. 

It looks like he tried to remove some of the black lines from the yellow portion also and then stopped when the yellow starting rubbing off ? As far as eye appeal, when looking at this book, it's obvious what happened. The line is intermittent, broken off in the white areas, the yellow area was rubbed off, and as you said you can see loss of cover gloss. Sorry but I think it looks terrible and no value was added, probably lost value because it will now grade lower.

10 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It looks like he tried to remove some of the black lines from the yellow portion also and then stopped when the yellow starting rubbing off ? As far as eye appeal, when looking at this book, it's obvious what happened. The line is intermittent, broken off in the white areas, the yellow area was rubbed off, and as you said you can see loss of cover gloss. Sorry but I think it looks terrible and no value was added, probably lost value because it will now grade lower.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment of what happened. I'm surprised to learn that the grade/value would actually be higher with the black line, so it seems a mistake was made. That's unfortunate, but this isn't really a gradable book, just an entry in my personal collection. I really appreciate the feedback, thx.

I've posted it over here if anyone is curious what the rest looks like:

On 10/20/2017 at 8:49 PM, newshane said:

It wouldn't be considered restoration. It would be considered damage.

Yes, and it most certainly is. 

It looks pretty bad. This is why amateurs shouldn't be allowed to work on anyone else's books. This stuff can be removed without resulting color loss, but it is a VERY delicate, VERY time consuming, VERY delicate process.

Sorry to see this happen.

3 hours ago, faster friends said:

That defect is very common on this book. I have seen many copies like this. Cgc does not take off for this mark. 

I would have left it alone.

In defense of the OP, how is one supposed to know that a specific flaw is common to a book ? Most of us, unlike CGC, do not see multiple copies of a book on a daily basis. It's just another reason why I think CGC should NOT allow certain flaws to get a free pass. A flaw is a flaw no matter how it originated. While I would never have tried to remove it, I can see why it bothered the OP.