• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's a grade for a "solid reading copy"
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Gonna be looking for an xmen 94 solid reading copy soon and wondering what  grade we're looking at.  

3.0.?  Just want all pages and panels complete, no water damage, or wrinkled/crinkled pages. I think I got a VG book once and a panel was missing.  I need it for my massive xmen 94-150 first time reading Clairmont run entirely in floppy-form.

Already got a 9.4 entombed in plastic flat as a pancake pressed to death copy. 

Edited by NoMan

For a reading copy, VG to VG+ seems about right to me. It's not going to fall apart in your hands, and it doesn't look (or smell, hopefully!) like total garbage. You can read it without worrying about "hurting it", but you won't be ashamed to own it either!

for an x-men 94, i'd agree with a 4.0-5.0

however, I think that determining what constitutes as a 'reader copy' may depend on the book in question. 

I wouldn't want a bronze age reader that was a 1.0, since there are many VG-ish books out there for great prices.

with SA or GA keys, 'reader copies' at VG are sometimes worth more than people can afford. I know a few book that I'd consider to be holy grails in VG.

Good luck with your hunt

Not sure if the OP was looking for a more technical definition, but if we look at Overstreet grading definitions ...

2.0 Good (GD) ... "is often considered a reading copy". I don't think you can have missing panels, coupons or Marvel Value Stamps and still be a 2.0. The water wrinkle/crinkle probably throws you into the 4.0 Very Good (VG) grade. Even then, you are allowed minor soiling (if you equate soiling with water wrinkle/crinkle). That stops being allowed at a 5.0 Very Good/Fine (VG/F).

On 10/17/2017 at 3:48 PM, NoMan said:

Gonna be looking for an xmen 94 solid reading copy soon and wondering what  grade we're looking at.  

3.0.?  Just want all pages and panels complete, no water damage, or wrinkled/crinkled pages. I think I got a VG book once and a panel was missing.  I need it for my massive xmen 94-150 first time reading Clairmont run entirely in floppy-form.

Already got a 9.4 entombed in plastic flat as a pancake pressed to death copy. 

Personally, I would not get hung up on a technical grade.  If you are looking for a solid reader, paper and staples quality is most important for me.  That makes it harder to purchase online.   I have very stable G comics that look and handle great.  Just something to consider during your pursuit.  Good luck!

A 2.0 can be ragged and coming apart.  I think 4.0 is the ideal grade for a comic that holds together, but can be handled casually without risk of further damage.  5.0 is starting to have some eye appeal, and anything before 1965 is collectible for me in that grade.