• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the most widely desired comic book for $100?
2 2

109 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, boatfund said:

I don't believe this is a long term strategy for drawing traffic, nor increasing sales long term.  Having collected for a long time and also going to baseball card shows with friends in 90s I am reminded of dealers with dice boards (roll the dice win what's on that space), and grab bags with a chance of the day's hot card or comic.  It may make you stand out from other dealers however it might not be in the way you want.  Is this how you want to be known as a comics dealer - the raffle guy? Or the guy that has the great comics?  You've gotten responses from lots of other people and I'm the only one saying this so maybe I'm wrong.  This is just my 2 cents.

(thumbsu I agree, and posted a similar response yesterday...

Edited by jools&jim

7 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

A random cheap Stan SSslab. Even if pgx

Hadn't thought of going that route but it's good.  You can get a Stan sig pretty cheap but the general public thinks his sigs are like gold - just look at the lines at each show.  Definitely going to consider this one.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Valid point.  I do think it is a bit cheesy but since last years Con was a disaster (worst Con for me other then Baltimore) I'm willing to be known as the raffle guy if it brings in some more casual buyers.  I don't think a raffle for a Star Wars 1 will bring in the big fish comic buyers but if I can get 20 new customers to stop that wouldn't otherwise then I consider it a success.  I don't have the huge selection of killer keys (they sell way to fast online) so I think you have to try different things to attract buyers when 10 other guys have the same books in the room.

Bad shows happen.

I attended a show where the organizer decided to put it on Mother's Day. :frustrated: The entire day I sold one comic: an Infinity Gauntlet #1 for $20.00. I spent $105.00 on the table space, so I went home with a negative number. Complete waste of time.

I also did a show last year that involves some travel and hotel expense, and did so poorly that I made the decision if I don't do XXXX dollars at the next one I won't return. Thankfully I surpassed that figure easily at the following show.

My advice is to not worry about those few bad shows and soldier on. There will be better shows.

12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Bad shows happen.

I attended a show where the organizer decided to put it on Mother's Day. :frustrated: The entire day I sold one comic: an Infinity Gauntlet #1 for $20.00. I spent $105.00 on the table space, so I went home with a negative number. Complete waste of time.

I also did a show last year that involves some travel and hotel expense, and did so poorly that I made the decision if I don't do XXXX dollars at the next one I won't return. Thankfully I surpassed that figure easily at the following show.

My advice is to not worry about those few bad shows and soldier on. There will be better shows.

Yea - I had some good shows last year that made up for the bad ones but part of it is my expectations.  Last year at Akron I spent $250 to set up and sold $800 which to me is just plain bad especially for a two day show.  The dynamics of each Con are so different sometimes you just need a small gimmick to make it a great show.  Some people offer blow out prices - some bring multiple copies of IH 181 - some come back year after year to get the coveted spot right as you walk in.  I've never seen a key book raffle before (did see that dice guy at a Dayton show years ago) so it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Valid point.  I do think it is a bit cheesy but since last years Con was a disaster (worst Con for me other then Baltimore) I'm willing to be known as the raffle guy if it brings in some more casual buyers.  I don't think a raffle for a Star Wars 1 will bring in the big fish comic buyers but if I can get 20 new customers to stop that wouldn't otherwise then I consider it a success.  I don't have the huge selection of killer keys (they sell way to fast online) so I think you have to try different things to attract buyers when 10 other guys have the same books in the room.

Judging by your comment 'killer keys sell way too fast online' I'm guessing your con sales are down because you sell your best stuff online.  The success of one business model is harming the other business model and I don't think a raffle will make a difference. 

I don't know what kind of con inventory you have but consider making your con booth mostly a discount booth to move low value, difficult to ship or slow selling items.

:50% off boxes - we sold 4 longs of 10 longs at our last show.  I'd rather see this stuff move than sell a few at guide and barely pay for the space they take up.
:$1 books - toss a few $5 or $10 'treasures' in here and toss in a few more later in the day.  I've also seen a lot of sellers moving to $2 books but I've stayed at $1 as I believe that makes my $1 books more attractive
Sets - we sell a lot of sets and pay a little more for runs and I actively search for books I need to complete runs

To answer your original question:  I'd go with a 9.0-9.2 X-Men 108 (first Byrne/Austin on X-Men; the beginning of the greatest run on X-Men).

Why?  Because it's also a conversation piece that lets you draw folks in to a discussion and provide you with an opportunity to discuss and sell other cool books.  

8 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

To answer your original question:  I'd go with a 9.0-9.2 X-Men 108 (first Byrne/Austin on X-Men; the beginning of the greatest run on X-Men).

Why?  Because it's also a conversation piece that lets you draw folks in to a discussion and provide you with an opportunity to discuss and sell other cool books.  

Not picking on this reply but it is exactly why I dislike picking a specific book:

This just doesn't do it for me. I already have 3 of those ( that I struggle to sell to be honest ). This book appeals only to the buyer that knows what it is, so a person that clearly collects comics. A person that collects comics is already likely buying something at the booth. I think 1Cool is searching for that item that might entice those who are not buying to make that small $20.00 purchase.

I don't think there is a good choice for a single comic or magazine to be honest, but if it must be a comic it needs to be recognizable easily and definitely a cross product item. I like the Star Wars #1 for this reason.

Who knew this topic would generate such a response! :)

41 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Not picking on this reply but it is exactly why I dislike picking a specific book:

This just doesn't do it for me. I already have 3 of those ( that I struggle to sell to be honest ). This book appeals only to the buyer that knows what it is, so a person that clearly collects comics. A person that collects comics is already likely buying something at the booth. I think 1Cool is searching for that item that might entice those who are not buying to make that small $20.00 purchase.

I don't think there is a good choice for a single comic or magazine to be honest, but if it must be a comic it needs to be recognizable easily and definitely a cross product item. I like the Star Wars #1 for this reason.

Who knew this topic would generate such a response! :)

Here's where we disagree:  I assume that he's trying to sell collectible comic books at this Comic Con, not new product (like collected editions, manufactured collectibles, or other such stuff and books).  If that's the case, I'd pick a comic which would pull in comic collectors and get them talking to you.  X-Men 108 is a collectible comic that appeals to the around 50 demographic that seems a prevalent group of collectors.  A similar choice would be a miller DD - I like 164 in high grade CGC.   Relationships build sales.  Of course, if his inventory is weak on that time period - pick a book that jives with his inventory.

(Now if he was operating a store, especially one that make money mostly on new product, then I'd agree he should be picking an item that will suck in non-collectors.  Folks who might be making purchases out of nostalgia, like the IDW Star Wars strip book, and then a Star Wars 1` would be an excellent choice.)

But, I'm coming at this from the perspective of a comic collector and what attracts me to comic booths at conventions, not from the perspective of a dealer trying to sale non-comic product at a convention.

Edited by sfcityduck

I like the idea of having a raffle.  I think that $20 for a ticket is too much.   If the tickets were $5 - $10 they would sell, or spend $XXX (not of raffle tickets) at your booth.   

Having a possibility of one choice of 4 prizes will draw people in even more.   

On 10/19/2017 at 4:30 PM, jools&jim said:

I'm not a general con-goer these days, nor much of one at all, given that I only attend one per year (which I skipped this year).  So feel free to ignore me...I would!

That said...when I was a lot more active back in the '80s and '90s, this sort of thing (i.e., raffles or other promotional stunts) would make me steer clear of a booth completely: too carnival like, I suppose, and there is a whiff of desperation about this as a selling tactic which would scare me off, or make me dismiss the dealer as being somehow less than professional. 

The other thing to consider is that when it's time to pick the winner, you're going to have a crowd around your booth which could block the aisles, and may spill over into your neighbors' space as well.  This, as you can imagine, may not sit well with the promoter and the other dealers in your vicinity.

2c

It is a good business savy idea by him, as he will get traffic to his booth. It creates interest.

9 hours ago, Phantalien said:

I like the idea of having a raffle.  I think that $20 for a ticket is too much.   If the tickets were $5 - $10 they would sell, or spend $XXX (not of raffle tickets) at your booth.   

Having a possibility of one choice of 4 prizes will draw people in even more.   

I agree with idea. Lower entry point will get him more people to participate. 

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Also what kind of audience is op trying to bring to his booth?  The comic product he picks will be very important to what kind of crowd he wants to draw to his booth.

It really is a very important part of the promotion.  I think if I picked a X-Men 108 or Daredevil 13 I'd really only attract the hardcore collectors who may be missing that issue.  I could pick one of my Marvel Graphic Novel 4 and the flippers would get excited since it's hot right now but the casual buyer would probably yawn since they know very little about the book.  I still considering a Spidey book since everyone knows that character (should be getting back a Spidey vs Wolverine CGC 9.8 this week).  The Star Wars 1 is definitely in the lead since it definitely will be a discussion piece for even non comic book fans and comic collectors alike.  The Con is two weeks from today so it will be a last second decision.

I think a couple people are confused.  It's not a raffle per say (don't think it's legal to have a cash raffle at a Con) but more a promotion to entice more buyers to spend money.  I love the idea of doing a raffle for high priced books (tried it here and got the idea banned) but I don't think promoters want cash raffles at their shows.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree with idea. Lower entry point will get him more people to participate. 

The $ amount is slightly arbitrary but I think $10 is too low.  If I do $2000 in sales then I've got to get 200 raffle tickets filled in since I'm not requiring people to be there in order to win.  100 seems like a much easier number to manage. 

How about a low grade NM98.  You could probably find a 5.0 for around $100

How about a low grade Hulk 180.  You could get a 3.5 or 4.0 if you are patient.

How about a single slabbed page from AF15.  I see them go for around $100

If you want something Mint then how about a 9.8 JS Campbell variant cover from something like Gwenpool or a Campbell Spiderman issue

I'd recommend a movie or tv related comic for the giveaway.  How about a Strange Tales 135?  Experienced collectors have one, but we can always use another.  Younger collectors are going to be awed by it.  Put a card behind it that says "1st appearance SHIELD, 1965" so the tourists also get the significance.

No matter what comic you choose for your giveaway, remember to stock your bins with comics related to the giveaway.  If someone stops by and starts talking about SHIELD, you can sell Fury Vs SHIELD sets, Marvel Team-Up 83-87, Bronze Captain Americas, 90's Nick Fury in your dollar bins, Ultimates vol 1...

I don't like the idea of giving away a $100 worth of bin books.  On my first visit to your bin, I've already bought everything I wanted.  If I'm on the fence about a book, the draw would prompt me to leave it behind, in the event that I win and get it free later.  Would I buy it later if I didn't win?  Probably not, I didn't like it enough to walk away with it the first time.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:54 AM, electricprune said:

Wolverine Limited Series #1. Slabbed 9.4 might be just below that. Slabbed 9.6 is a bit higher. Yes, there are tons of them out there, but they seem to keep increasing in value slowly, but steadily.

If you're just thinking unslabbed, I would think those grades would still be enticing.

+1  an awesome cover.