Full backs or Half backs with my Mylites 2????
3 3

36 posts in this topic

730 posts

I am getting ready to re-board my HG Iron Man 1-332 run and I am wondering if I should use half backs or the thicker full backs. I don't know that I have ever seen a fullback so if anyone has a preference they would like to share or some picks of the different thickness it would be greatly appreciated.

1,765 posts

Full backs seem to be the popular choice. 

730 posts
4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What is the recommended time to change them? Once every 3 years?

I don't know but I noticed some of my boards from when I was a kid looking really bad (35 years ago) soooo...probably sooner than that I'm guessing.

15,202 posts
Just now, WoWitHurts said:

I don't know but I noticed some of my boards from when I was a kid looking really bad (35 years ago) soooo...probably sooner than that I'm guessing.

Thanks lolI noticed someone posted 1-3 year thing a while ago, but your right I should go look at my 30 year old bagnboards. I've read one or 2 recently and remember OW pages, but some I'd like to keep nice.....Even though they're all readers 

730 posts
5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks lolI noticed someone posted 1-3 year thing a while ago, but your right I should go look at my 30 year old bagnboards. I've read one or 2 recently and remember OW pages, but some I'd like to keep nice.....Even though they're all readers 

Yeah, most of my OO books that survived my basement taking on water that I get graded come back white pages. So 1-3 years is maybe too aggressive AND expensive. But 35 years I am SURE is too long! 

2,069 posts

Fullbacks and Mylites 2 are the gold standard for me. When I was ordering from DCBS I had them ship the books with the mylite/halback upgrade and they felt so.... weak. 

44,160 posts

I like one of each for 1 1/2 backs.

1,392 posts
16 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I am getting ready to re-board my HG Iron Man 1-332 run and I am wondering if I should use half backs or the thicker full backs. I don't know that I have ever seen a fullback so if anyone has a preference they would like to share or some picks of the different thickness it would be greatly appreciated.

I have 1 fullback boards E. Gerber if you're interest. Just pay for shipping and it's yours. 

35 posts

Definitely fullbacks.  Halfbacks are really flimsy.  And, I won't be thinking of changing them out for at least 10 years.

15,036 posts

My understanding is that eGerber fullbacks and a mylite 2 is completely archival and you wont need to change them at all after.

3,663 posts

Comparing Fullbacks (FB) and Halfbacks (HB):

2017-06-16 18.18.43-1.jpg

2017-06-16 18.16.52-1.jpg

I used to go with 2HB (thinking they were as good as 1 FB) until I compared them side-by-side.

So now I go with just 1 FB for most books, and 1FB+1HB for my best books.

Edited by jcjames

11,827 posts

There's no doubt the fullbacks feel a lot firmer but I would think, when stacked tightly in a box, the half backs do the job. Also, you can fit more books in a box with halfbacks. For the books that may need extra support I will use full backs. Regarding the 1.5 fullback approach, I don't think you want things too tight as it may harm the spine or staples. I love the OCD that comes with comic collecting !!!

11,827 posts
7 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Comparing Fullbacks (FB) and Halfbacks (HB):

2017-06-16 18.18.43-1.jpg

2017-06-16 18.16.52-1.jpg

This is interesting but since we don't store our comics like this, what's the point ? Boards are usually applied in a vertical fashion anyway.  Don't forget the mylar adds support also.

3,663 posts
Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

This is interesting but since we don't store our comics like this, what's the point ? Boards are usually applied in a vertical fashion anyway.  Don't forget the mylar adds support also.

Sturdiness of backing board is always important when handling, holding or storing books.

Otherwise - why even use a "board"? Just use buffered paper like microchamber paper. (shrug)

15,036 posts
3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Just now, jcjames said:

Sturdiness of backing board is always important when handling, holding or storing books.

Otherwise - why even use a "board"? Just use buffered paper like microchamber paper. (shrug)

how much does the typical comic weigh? I don't have my scale in front of me...

3,663 posts
Just now, Artboy99 said:

how much does the typical comic weigh? I don't have my scale in front of me...

:facepalm:

Why do people use backing boards instead of backing paper??

39,993 posts

Fullbacks all the way.  Not only for the superior structural support.  They are a stronger buffer against acidic gases, and so provide better long-term protection and require changing less frequently, if ever.

11,827 posts
30 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Fullbacks all the way.  Not only for the superior structural support.  

Why worry about superior support at all ? Just get your comics pressed. LOL. :baiting: 

11,827 posts

For what I consider my top tier books, I use a halfback in a 1mil Mylite, taped down tightly in the back, with the comic placed 'upside down'. This combo, turned so the comic is now right side up, then goes into a 4mil mylar. It seems pretty sturdy, though I have never placed them on bricks and added weight. The fullback/2mil combo do present better, the colors really pop.

Edited by Bomber-Bob