• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

How should the following analogy be completed?

Kevin Feige is to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as __________ is to the __________ Comics Universe.

Is there an equivalent to Feige in comics history?  He's not Stan Lee because Stan wrote content but Feige doesn't.  But Feige is guiding the selection of screenwriters, directors, and story elements so well I wonder if there's SOME equivalent to him from comics history.  Someone like Jim Shooter or Joe Quesada, maybe, but both of those guys wrote and/or did art from time to time, although not so much during their time as Editor in Chief.  And I'm not sure either of those guys did for Marvel comics what Feige has done for the movies.  Maybe he's a modern day Martin Goodman--they're in roughly the same roles--but I'm not sure you can attribute much to Goodman and that Lee, Kirby, and Ditko deserve all the credit.

Or does Feige have no close equivalent?

The possibilties are endless with some of the franchises acquired in this deal.

Just a few now owned by Disney

Aliens

Predator

Planet of the Apes

X-Files

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Simpsons

Futurama

Eventually I think Marvel will get involved with all the above for new comic book stories and reprint trade paperbacks.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It is official now X-Men, Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer are coming home!

DISNEY-FOX Deal APPROVED: The X-MEN & FF Are Coming Home

https://www.newsarama.com/41133-official-disney-fox-deal-done-the-x-men-ff-are-coming-home.html

In a meeting Friday morning, shareholders of 21st Century Fox and the Walt Disney Company approved Disney's $71.3 billion bid to tak eover a large portion of Fox's assets, including 20th Century Fox's movie and TV studio.

The U.S. Department of Justice has already approved the transaction.

In separate meetings, shareholders reportedly approved the transaction in sessions that lasted less than 15 minutes each. 

According to Variety, 21st Century Fox CFO John Nallen told shareholders the merger is expected to be completed in the first half of 2019. 

Here's how Disney described how the transaction would affect the Marvel Cinematic Universe when the proposed takeover was officially announced last year:

“The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love...”

That's a lot of debt. 

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

Looking forward to seeing what Disney can do with these properties.  I mean Disney Fantastic Four cannot be worse than Fox Fant4stic can it?

No it cannot. I can dress my Pomeranians up as the Thing and Galactus and make a better Fantastic Four movie in my backyard.

11 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Looking forward to seeing what Disney can do with these properties.  I mean Disney Fantastic Four cannot be worse than Fox Fant4stic can it?

FF has had 2 shots.  It just doesn't play well or translate that well to film. 

Edited by Lucky Baru

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I agree. The four themselves, and I also find Galactus and Silver Surfer, especially Galactus, not readily translatable to film.

Of the six of them  I think Human Torch has translated the best, while the absolute worse has been the Thing. He has looked so fake and cheap in all three movies. 

Also in the future I would expect Marvel to find some way to make them translate better, as they always seem to find away to make their characters come alive on the big screen.

Actually looking forward to a Hulk vs Thing fight in the movies. Come on Marvel you can pull it off.

Image result for fantastic four 25

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 7/28/2018 at 7:35 AM, Lucky Baru said:

FF has had 2 shots.  It just doesn't play well or translate that well to film. 

I don't think there is anything inherently more difficult in translating those properties to film than any other. Fox just didn't have the first clue on how to do it.

Marvel does. They made a talking raccoon and a tree into a success. FF, Surfer and Galactus are total layups in comparison. 

39 minutes ago, october said:

I don't think there is anything inherently more difficult in translating those properties to film than any other. Fox just didn't have the first clue on how to do it.

Marvel does. They made a talking raccoon and a tree into a success. FF, Surfer and Galactus are total layups in comparison. 

I agree absolutely ... although Marvel has blown a few (Inhumans can be resurrected), they know how to capture the essence of what the original storytellers were trying to convey .... so, the $64 000.00 question is: at what point in the so-called "Great American Novel" do you jump in? Do you start it right from the bombardment of cosmic rays, or are there other, perhaps more clever 'entry' points to bring the FF authentically to the screen?

Edited by BuscemasAvengers

15 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

I agree absolutely ... although Marvel has blown a few (Inhumans can be resurrected), they know how to capture the essence of what the original storytellers were trying to convey .... so, the $64 000.00 question is: at what point in the so-called "Great American Novel" do you jump in? Do you start it right from the bombardment of cosmic rays, or are there other, perhaps more clever 'entry' points to bring the FF authentically to the screen?

A good buddy of mine posted this on FB as his treatment for the FF.  I think it’s great.

“Make the Fantastic Four movie a period piece set in the Space Race. Cast them as the outdated archetypal characters they are, like a satire of Mad Men. At the end of the first movie/origin they are thrown forward in time to just post-Infiity War. Reed is as brilliant as Tony, but his tech is all done in a retro-futuristic Kirby style.”

The biggest problem has been the studios trying to “modernize” them.  It doesn’t work as it loses all the goofy charm that made them so wonderful in the first place.  

4 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

A good buddy of mine posted this on FB as his treatment for the FF.  I think it’s great.

“Make the Fantastic Four movie a period piece set in the Space Race. Cast them as the outdated archetypal characters they are, like a satire of Mad Men. At the end of the first movie/origin they are thrown forward in time to just post-Infiity War. Reed is as brilliant as Tony, but his tech is all done in a retro-futuristic Kirby style.”

The biggest problem has been the studios trying to “modernize” them.  It doesn’t work as it loses all the goofy charm that made them so wonderful in the first place.  

Intriquing ... I have confidence in the level of creativity and respect for the Marvel tradition these guys have shown over the past 10 years ... I need to see Kirby bubbles/krackle!!  Question: can the Watcher be a part of the coming story line?

On 7/29/2018 at 10:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

A few of us have said the same thing about making a time piece and I think it would be awesome.

On an unrelated point, I'm not sure how I feel about the mergers that have been happening with Disney.

While Marvel has been putting out amazing movies that I have thoroughly enjoyed watching (and I think they will continue to make great movies for some time) I am not sure how I feel about the size of the company and the market share it takes up.

While not a monopoly they certain now hold the lion's share of rights to pop-culture story telling but because this is an unprecedented merger I'm not sure how that translates into that old saying of how 'competition is good'.