• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay issue and I am seeking some advice
1 1

69 posts in this topic

Greetings.

I recently sold a comic on Ebay and I sent it in good faith. I did my part.

The tracking shows it has been delivered, and now the buyer is claiming that he never got it.

Has anyone ever dealt with this through Ebay disputes? I don't feel I should have to refund the buyer since I can prove the item was "successfully delivered" yet at the same time I can certainly understand how I would feel if the situation was reversed. The total is over $700.00.

Insurance does not apply to an item that was successfully delivered.

I am just wondering what to expect from Ebay. Anyone have experience? I dislike that the buyer is potentially out $700.00, OR that my side is going to have to refund the money and then be out the item. Especially since I was selling it for my unemployed friend. :frown:

Edited by Artboy99

IIRC, tracking is only in your favor if there is an adult signature of the receiver collected on the other end.

Otherwise tracking is nice, but worthless in settling disputes.

35 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

IIRC, tracking is only in your favor if there is an adult signature of the receiver collected on the other end.

Most of the time I agree with this but not always.  I had a $100 book being shown as delivered but the lady claimed it had never arrived.  No signature confirmation on that amount so I waited to see what E-Bay would do.  They found in my favor but I still felt bad and found her another copy and had it shipped to her on my dime.  Original book never did show up back at my house.  Signature confirmation is usually suggested and may be required over $300 so that may change their stance but good luck in the book showing up.

Edited by 1Cool

48 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Greetings.

The tracking shows it has been delivered, and now the buyer is claiming that he never got it.

Has anyone ever dealt with this through Ebay disputes? I don't feel I should have to refund the buyer since I can prove the item was "successfully delivered" yet at the same time I can certainly understand how I would feel if the situation was reversed. The total is over $700.00.

I am just wondering what to expect from Ebay. Anyone have experience? I dislike that the buyer is potentially out $700.00, OR that my side is going to have to refund the money and then be out the item. Especially since I was selling it for my unemployed friend. :frown:

Signature confirmation is your friend. I use it when selling high-dollar items to unfamiliar customers. 

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
26 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Most of the time I agree with this but not always.  I had a $100 book being shown as delivered but the lady claimed it had never arrived.  No signature confirmation on that amount so I waited to see what E-Bay would do.  They found in my favor but I still felt bad and found her another copy and had it shipped to her on my dime.  Book never did show up.  Signature confirmation is usually suggested and may be required over $300 so that may change their stance but good luck in the book showing up.

Over a certain dollar amount (I believe it is $250) Paypal requires signatures to protect the seller. That may be the difference between your cases here. A $100 book would be under the threshold.

Signature confirmation can certainly be your friend, however I have heard and experienced several relatively recent situations where the delivery person has signed for the item themselves and just left it.  This is blatant mail fraud of course, but I've yet to hear of any occasion where the perp was actually disciplined. 

I sell a lot on the bay and I would never refund a buyer when item is shown as delivered in tracking.  I've gotten sob stories of all kinds and my response is, I'm sorry to hear that but let's go through ebay's process and handle this correctly.  In the two cases where this has been an issue, both have been decided in my favor (seller).  These items were $150 and slightly less if I recall so not $700 like yours but I don't know that ebay requires signature above any dollar value for the listing.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Signature confirmation can certainly be your friend, however I have heard and experienced several relatively recent situations where the delivery person has signed for the item themselves and just left it.  This is blatant mail fraud of course, but I've yet to hear of any occasion where the perp was actually disciplined. 

PO boxes to receive your packages are your friend in this case. If you receive books on a regular basis, as I imagine we all do around here, it is a cheap form of insurance against this sort of tomfoolery.

3 minutes ago, mysterio said:

PO boxes to receive your packages are your friend in this case. If you receive books on a regular basis, as I imagine we all do around here, it is a cheap form of insurance against this sort of tomfoolery.

Give USPS even more money?  Pass.  I'd much rather give the Postal Inspection Service some work.

Edited by mattn792

Just now, mattn792 said:
3 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Give USPS even more money?  Pass.  I'd much rather give the Postal Inspection Service some work.

So instead of paying money to provide peace of mind that you will get your books, and can make easy cases against the PO if you don't, you'd rather pay out for the books you don't receive. Makes sense.

31 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Most of the time I agree with this but not always.  I had a $100 book being shown as delivered but the lady claimed it had never arrived.  No signature confirmation on that amount so I waited to see what E-Bay would do.  They found in my favor but I still felt bad and found her another copy and had it shipped to her on my dime.  Original book never did show up back at my house.  Signature confirmation is usually suggested and may be required over $300 so that may change their stance but good luck in the book showing up.

Signature confirmation is only required on items valued at or above $750.00

I've had this happen as well and eBay should judge in your favor.  Keep in mind there are fraudulent buyers who prey on sellers who don't use sig tracking for large purchases.  Definitely do not refund this buyer.  The tracking is there for a reason and you've followed all of the rules eBay has provided.  The buyer can now file a claim with USPS and resolve it that way.  I actually had a buyer try to say the book wasn't delivered and I had shipped the book with signature tracking.  

Just now, comicquant said:

I've had this happen as well and eBay should judge in your favor.  Keep in mind there are fraudulent buyers who prey on sellers who don't use sig tracking for large purchases.  Definitely do not refund this buyer.  The tracking is there for a reason and you've followed all of the rules eBay has provided.  The buyer can now file a claim with USPS and resolve it that way.  I actually had a buyer try to say the book wasn't delivered and I had shipped the book with signature tracking.  

Since this happened I use sig tracking on any order over $100.  

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Greetings.

You won't have to refund the money.

The buyer will either be stuck without a refund or more likely will be compensated by eBay.

35 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I agree. I have my post office hold packages throughout the week. I pick them up every Saturday. 

Granted, I pretty much live in Mayberry. My post office is very small and I'm on a first-name basis with everyone there. But they agree to hold my packages throughout the week for no extra charge...no PO Box required. 

It might be a pain, but it's better than having the packages destroyed by the weather, roaming animals, or a thief. 

7 minutes ago, newshane said:

I agree. I have my post office hold packages throughout the week. I pick them up every Saturday. 

Granted, I pretty much live in Mayberry. My post office is very small and I'm on a first-name basis with everyone there. But they agree to hold my packages throughout the week for no extra charge...no PO Box required. 

It might be a pain, but it's better than having the packages destroyed by the weather, roaming animals, or a thief. 

That’s a sweet setup. 

to those who say signature verification helps it doesn't as I have had shipments be "delivered" and be signed for that did not get delivered to the buyer.

This instance the package goes from Canada (me) to Brazil.