• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A very different way to sell a colllection.
1 1

86 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Comic buying - where the more you have the less they're worth!

Selling 10,000 shares takes a click of a mouse.  Selling 10,000 comic books takes a lot of time, customers and expertise which all cost money.  Selling 2 or 3 keys is easy but 40 long boxes of books is a part time job.

6 hours ago, wombat said:

I'm thinking you are going to be going home quickly. 

This.

Seller seems like a loon.

Seller has ALREADY cherry-picked and arranged his collection into particular boxes in particular order to show you.

So turn it around and tell him you understand that he doesn't want to get cherry-picked - and neither do you! Buh-bye!

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Selling 10,000 shares takes a click of a mouse.  Selling 10,000 comic books takes a lot of time, customers and expertise which all cost money.  Selling 2 or 3 keys is easy but 40 long boxes of books is a part time job.

Too bad sellers in the wild don't factor that into the dream prices they assign to their 'collections'.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

So if he says $1,000 for the 1st box and you agree - you bought it.  Now the next box is $1,000 but you don't like that box - so you only get box #1.  If you like the price for lets say box #1, #2, #3 and #4 then he may give you a price for everything in boxes 5-20.  I like complicated but that sounds overly complicated even for me.

Clownishly so.

Sounds worthwhile to a possible buyer only if the stuff he is selling is very desirable and extra-ordinary. 

Based on the description of the comics, agree with the thread consensus that it would be a waste of your time unless he comes at you with extra-ordinarily lower expectations than most other new sellers.

Just now, batman_fan said:

If he is close by, I would go see box 1. If the deal is good buy it and move on to the next on. Worst case you buy nothing and wasted some time. Best case you end up with 5000 books at a decent price. 

Heading there now. Not expecting to buy all 5,000. It's a 25 minute ride, but I have some free play to cash in on that side of town anyway.

5 minutes ago, grebal said:

Sounds worthwhile to a possible buyer only if the stuff he is selling is very desirable and extra-ordinary. 

Based on the description of the comics, agree with the thread consensus that it would be a waste of your time unless he comes at you with extra-ordinarily lower expectations than most other new sellers.

He's not a new seller. He's a long time mail order/small show dealer who is downsizing from a large house to an apartment. From our conversation, I'd be shocked if the stuff is priced sky high. My biggest concern is he bought up a couple of formerly hot books as examples of what he has.

10 minutes ago, shadroch said:

He's not a new seller. He's a long time mail order/small show dealer who is downsizing from a large house to an apartment. From our conversation, I'd be shocked if the stuff is priced sky high. My biggest concern is he bought up a couple of formerly hot books as examples of what he has.

i understand wanting not to be "cherry picked" but the all or nothing is the best way. ask him flat out  how much he wants for all of it even the drek then view the whole collection and if he's price is right take it if not counter offer. 

when i look at a collection I'm very upfront with how i buy and i DONT just buy the keys my offer is for the whole collection. thats rude because now they have nothing but junk to offer to the next person that they call to sell and is now a waste of time for all parties. 

also id love to hear how people come across collections ethier hear or PM. maybe we can share ideas....if were not in the same state lol

27 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Any over / under action on how much that first box will cost?

tree-fiddy??

25 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
53 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

tree-fiddy??

It would be funny if it was $350 for the 1st box.

Then we would no what his agenda was?  (shrug)

lol@porcupine48