• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other Passions Besides Comics?
3 3

106 posts in this topic

@The Resurrection & @TheFifthHorseman.  I wasn't implying that I was intimidated.  Definitely not.  I've been in my fair share of scuffles.  I guess what I meant was that I don't feel like doing that anymore.  Plus, there aren't really a lot of shows around here that interest me anyhow.  Most of the bands that used to play around town regularly that I enjoyed, don't anymore.  

2 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

@The Resurrection & @TheFifthHorseman.  I wasn't implying that I was intimidated.  Definitely not.  I've been in my fair share of scuffles.  I guess what I meant was that I don't feel like doing that anymore.  Plus, there aren't really a lot of shows around here that interest me anyhow.  Most of the bands that used to play around town regularly that I enjoyed, don't anymore.  

Where you from and what bands? Im interested.

1 minute ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Columbus, OH.  Triceratops, Absolute Magnitude, Nemesis.  Those are a few.  I like Turnstile (like a lot of people).  A friend of mine is in that band.  

Ohhhh you crazy Ohio kids. I'm not to up on the newer school, but my boys band Departed is killing it right now. Out of NJ

17 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:
31 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

I like it.

jeez - the clips in 'nothing left to burn' are pretty disturbing. :(

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

Ohhhh you crazy Ohio kids. I'm not to up on the newer school, but my boys band Departed is killing it right now. Out of NJ

Somethin about that East Coast aggression. Just a way of life

Edited by TheFifthHorseman

22 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Besides a life-long obsession with comics, I do a few other things:

- Hunting deer, elk, squirrels, ducks, etc.  I've probably spent 2-3 weeks of my life in hunting camp in the woods, living in canvas wall tents for the past 40+ years.

- Guns - I used to be passionate, but now I find it hard to find the time to shoot much - I usually only crack them out for hunting camp. When my dad died we split the guns up between the siblings, and I let my oldest son, who is passionate about them have my share.  He'll probably also get mine when the time comes.  My son had a friend from France here this week, and we went up to the range and they shot for about three hours - it was raining so we spent most of time under the shelter, and I have to say I was a little concussed by the end - not the hearing part, as we wear ample protection, but the concussion from high powered stuff under a tin roof/tin walls.

- Sports - both my boys wrestled (as did I) for years through kids program, jr high and H.S.  The older boy wrestled three years for Hofstra University in NY/LI.  I still like to follow the local kids, and even travel hundreds of miles to do so - still go to the state tournament 360 miles distant.  The HS coach this year asked me to be his assistant, but I'm just too old and a technique dyslexic - and the mats/shoes hurt my feet - luckily, he found someone else.  My wife and I love college softball, and watch a lot when the college world series is on.  We even got to a live duck game last year, and that was enough fun so we'll probably go back this year for a few games, but that is 250 miles from here.

- I have a large record / tape / CD collection of music, but don't really want to spend time or money on concerts anymore.  I do love plugging in old stuff and reminiscing.  I played the first 7 Black Sabbath albums (on cassette) while I cut up elk this year!  And played the first 6 Judas Priest albums (on cassette) while driving to and from deer and elk camps this year (250 miles distant).

- Elks.  I joined the local Elks Lodge about 26 years ago, went through the officer chairs and was the Exalter Ruler (president) for a year.  I've written/edited the monthly newsletter for about the last 22 years, with about one two year hiatus.  The last five years that includes printing, folding and mailing 360 copies bulk/non-profit.  I'm the secretary/treasurer for the Past Exalted Ruler's Association, so take the monthly meeting notes, cut checks and make deposits.  It's a lot of work during our annual crab feed, which is the first Saturday in February, especially reconciling and making the deposits. I still end up at the Elks Lodge at least twice a week if not more.  Prime rib on Friday and mixed double shuffleboard tournament this Saturday, so that's where I'll be.

- We have two dogs - both my older sons, who is too busy traveling the world right now.  A 12 year old beagle, Oakley, and 6 year old crazy NY cockalier spaniel rescue dog.  They get me out into the woods every day to climb the mountains east of town, and keep me exercised.

That's about it.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) my wife is a hoarder too, and has a huge book collection.  She reads 10 times faster than me and gains 10 times the content.  Anyway, we have  house full of stuff.

I knew there was a reason I liked your sometime-surly manner. ; )

I grew up on LI and went to Hofstra Law, my brother got his undergrad degree from Hofstra, and neither of us wrestled in college (each of us did just a couple of years of college football), though we wrestled from 10 yr-olds through HS.  Of course I didn't own any guns until I moved to Texas. ; )  And I prefer Pink Floyd to Black Sabbath/Judas Priest though of course I love the harder stuff too.

3 minutes ago, grebal said:

I knew there was a reason I liked your sometime-surly manner. ; )

I grew up on LI and went to Hofstra Law, my brother got his undergrad degree from Hofstra, and neither of us wrestled in college (each of us did just a couple of years of college football), though we wrestled from 10 yr-olds through HS.  Of course I didn't own any guns until I moved to Texas. ; )  And I prefer Pink Floyd to Black Sabbath/Judas Priest though of course I love the harder stuff too.

I like quite a bit of Pink Floyd, but I still classify it as 'suicide music'.

Some other old stuff I like (I didn't live all this, but picked up the taste from my older bros) Pretty Things, Kinks, Robin Trower, Pat Travers, Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Dread Zeppelin. My current passions are 2Cellos and The Cramps (thanks, jimmers!)

There are some compilation albums "From the Cramps Records Vault" which are just stunningly good stuff - all the stuff they listened to before and while performing.  The roots of rock, rock-a-billy, psycho-billy.

54 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I like quite a bit of Pink Floyd, but I still classify it as 'suicide music'.

Some other old stuff I like (I didn't live all this, but picked up the taste from my older bros) Pretty Things, Kinks, Robin Trower, Pat Travers, Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Dread Zeppelin. My current passions are 2Cellos and The Cramps (thanks, jimmers!)

There are some compilation albums "From the Cramps Records Vault" which are just stunningly good stuff - all the stuff they listened to before and while performing.  The roots of rock, rock-a-billy, psycho-billy.

I was a teenage goo goo muck

11 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

jeez - the clips in 'nothing left to burn' are pretty disturbing. :(

"Burn it dowwwwnnnnnnnnnnn" I love that song.

My non-comic passions are largely still nerd-centric: movies (watching, collecting, writing about, reading about, making) and memorabilia, toys (buying/selling), Batman in general, college basketball (Go Cards!), and music (performing, writing, listening, collecting). I would have said "sex" once upon a time, but I'm married, so that's right out.