• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Purchase or Not to Purchase. CGC Graded Comic with Rusted Staples.
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

Pondering whether or not to purchase a Silver Age CGC graded book 7.0, Uncanny X-Men 2. The grader notes mention "light cover break colors, light creases, and multiple staple rusted."

What are your thoughts on rusted staples? Is this going to be an issue later down the road? 

Edited by finalfan7asy

48 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

Not a rare book. I would pass personally.

I do see a lot of them online and they are pricey. Rusted staples sound like it a problem long-term but then again, I'm not too familiar with what blemishes to avoid.

Edited by finalfan7asy

I'll accept them if the book is very scarce and the price is right........... XM 2 isn't in that category, ..... nor are hardly any Silver Age books, although I would love to own a sweet copy. One thing to point out......... I consider staple discoloration more palatable than full blown rust that has migrated to the paper. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Technically, it's The X-Men until issue 142.  Issue 142 added "Uncanny"  Just sayin...:blush:

With proper storage, rust on the staples will not get worse or migrate.  By proper, I mean reasonable temperatures and humidity levels. If you feel hot and sweaty where your books are stored, the rust could get worse and migrate.  If you comfortable, all should be good. 

While many collectors put rusted staples on their "IDK about that" list, ultimately a CGC graded 7.0 is a CGC graded 7.0. They are the grading professionals - and they took the staple rust into account when grading the book. If the price is fair and you want the book, go for it. 

Edited by Tony S

5 hours ago, rogue14 said:

I guess rusted staples on any book is a no go and something to avoid. Rust on anything really.

Can the staples be changed and then the comic regarded? 

Yes. Staples could be replaced or cleaned. BUT if CGC  detects the switch - and they almost certainly will - you will get a conserved grade. Not universal blue label.  So a bad idea.  At least as far as the value of the book is concerned. 

Under Overstreet Grading Guidelines, replacing or cleaning rusted staples is allowed.  But none of the comic grading companies exactly follow the Overstreet Guidelines. 

11 hours ago, Tony S said:

Yes. Staples could be replaced or cleaned. BUT if CGC  detects the switch - and they almost certainly will - you will get a conserved grade. Not universal blue label.  So a bad idea.  At least as far as the value of the book is concerned. 

Under Overstreet Grading Guidelines, replacing or cleaning rusted staples is allowed.  But none of the comic grading companies exactly follow the Overstreet Guidelines. 

Got it. So I guess there not much that can be done then aside from keeping the rusted staples and hoping for th best.

14 hours ago, Tony S said:

While many collectors put rusted staples on their "IDK about that" list, ultimately a CGC graded 7.0 is a CGC graded 7.0. They are the grading professionals - and they took the staple rust into account when grading the book. If the price is fair and you want the book, go for it. 

I agree that a CGC 7.0 is a CGC 7.0 BUT as far as valuation, all CGC 7.0's are not equal. Books with certain flaws are simply not as desirable and I would put Rusty staples in that category. The OP mentioned the book was priced at over 800.00. That is a strong price for this book with Rusty staples. For that kind of money, he can get a book with better credentials. I still say pass.

Ok I know something about stored books with rust.

You got alot of responses some right some wrong but here's the thing.

It's hard to say "right/wrong" with this example. 

Rust means presents of moisture and if the moisture is still in the paper and it may...then rust will continue to migrate faster when encapsulated for obvious reasons.

There is a possibility the rust was old or from many years ago stored in an attic with moisture-and since then has been open and breathing for a bit in a cool dry environment  and the current presents of moisture is very low.

There's no way of knowing unless you owned the book since the 60's.

The presents of moisture cannot be detected by "feel" unless saturated...and believe it makes all the difference with encapsulated books.