• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic to you is worth your entire collection?
3 3

40 posts in this topic

If tallying the $$$ and going for the most then it's a no brainer..... cuz my whole collection is not worth the cost of an Action #1.  Still, my whole collection has way more personal satisfaction $$$ than an Action #1 would give me

9 hours ago, Cocomonkey said:

I mean...

12 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

If you could trade all the comics you own for just one book, what would it be?

You didn't say it had to be a fair trade...so I would trade my entire collection for an Action 1, preferably 9.0. I could then pretty easily sell that and not only rebuild my collection, but complete it in entirely 9.8s.

^^

There is no single comic of roughly equivalent value that I would even briefly consider, but I would definitely take a trade like that in a heartbeat.

Thinking it through, there are too many conflicts to let go of certain issues in my collection which I’m extremely fond of, especially some of my bronze Age keys, even if I pooled everything together to trade for one Golden Age or Silver Age super-key book. 

Emotional connection, memories, nostalgia associated with the books I already own outweighs trading them all off for one big status symbol.  I’d still end up easily with a dozen I’d be too reluctant and indecisive to part with.

Theoretically, a pipe dream, nicely-presenting  9.0 + Tec 27 or AF 15.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Thinking it through, there are too many conflicts to let go of certain issues in my collection which I’m extremely fond of, especially some of my bronze Age keys, even if I pooled everything together to trade for one Golden Age or Silver Age super-key book. 

Emotional connection, memories, nostalgia associated with the books I already own outweighs trading them all off for one big status symbol.  I’d still end up easily with a dozen I’d be too reluctant and indecisive to part with.

Theoretically, a pipe dream, nicely-presenting  9.0 + Tec 27 or AF 15.  

I think a tec 27 would be tops for me also although the big 5 would include Action 1, Det 27, Marvel Mystery 1 , Captain America 1, Batman 1, SubMariner 1, Human Torch 1, Worlds Best 1, All American 16, Green Lantern 1, Police 1,  ....... oh, that's more than 5 isn't it ?    :luhv:

3 hours ago, Senormac said:

I think a tec 27 would be tops for me also although the big 5 would include Action 1, Det 27, Marvel Mystery 1 , Captain America 1, Batman 1, SubMariner 1, Human Torch 1, Worlds Best 1, All American 16, Green Lantern 1, Police 1,  ....... oh, that's more than 5 isn't it ?    :luhv:

At least this makes me feel less guilty about breaking the rules by posting two books. 

Police Comics 1 is a great choice.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Time have changed.  Years back, I would see more people wanting an Action 1 more than a Tec 27.  Now it seems to be the opposite.

I can remember the late 70s,  :preach: and in those days many would've picked Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1 or Marvel Comics 1.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I can remember the late 70s,  :preach: and in those days many would've picked Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1 or Marvel Comics 1.

I bet. I read somewhere about that as well. I think there was even a point in time where marvel 1 was the most valuable comic.

I have calculated that in the last and if I sold every comic I have I would be able to afford a amazing fantasy 15 3.5, I'd probably not do this though. and If I did do it I would not do this with it... 

i know that picture is totally unrelated, but come on Stan! And by Stan I mean max and the other people who put a 95 year old man to sign thousand stars of books a day.

IMG_0212.PNG

Edited by Aliens

12 hours ago, Aliens said:

I have calculated that in the last and if I sold every comic I have I would be able to afford a amazing fantasy 15 3.5, I'd probably not do this though. and If I did do it I would not do this with it... 

i know that picture is totally unrelated, but come on Stan! And by Stan I mean max and the other people who put a 95 year old man to sign thousand stars of books a day.

IMG_0212.PNG

Ya know, now that I think about it, wouldn't you think that after the hundreds of copies of AF 15 he has signed, he would pretty much put it in a similar place.  I know if I was signing the book (for whatever odd reason) I would put it right across the grey sky under Spidey's left arm...     (shrug)

5 hours ago, hippiecop said:

Ya know, now that I think about it, wouldn't you think that after the hundreds of copies of AF 15 he has signed, he would pretty much put it in a similar place.  I know if I was signing the book (for whatever odd reason) I would put it right across the grey sky under Spidey's left arm...     (shrug)

I think the way it works is that he's basically signing the table in front of him.

If your books happens to be in a good place on that table when his hand moves you win. 

Wonder how many times he misses the book completely, or catches just the edge?

But then I wonder too many things, like how owners of Action 1, Marvel Comics 1 or Tec 27 must chuckle at the thread's OT.

Not that any of us are going to be offered a deal like this so it is all "just for fun"--- so I will answer with these two options:

A mid grade JIM 83 or a high grade Daredevil 1

Those are my two favorite characters and that is probably around what my collection might be worth sold in bulk.

Not going to happen of course-- but an interesting question. Can't imagine not having all these books I've had since I was a pre-teen or all the ones I've added since getting the collecting bug back around 2014.

I had thought few times about trading some of my books for a mega key. Oh,  I did had traded a few ones for the specific ones I wanted. The ones I had weren’t what I collected but was meant to sell one day. But when someone have this book I wanted on my list. I traded one to get it. Sometimes it works out good.

but my entire collection? Unlikely, never as I had assembled so many great books over decades and the last 5 years since. It will be difficult for me to do it. I still have some books since I was a teen, even few ones from when I was a kid. Too much memories on the books. 

I am like Uncle Scoorge with his money. Remembering each coin and knew how he got it. It is the same with me. 

What I really want to get is Archie 1, Superman 24, Batman 1, Showcase 4 in nice grades... :x

To many of my books are evenly weighted.  I supposed if I completely left the hobby and kept just one as a token, it'd be Bats 232 or Bats 227, or maybe even Conan 1.  Something that's iconic and look nice on the wall.