• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting a comic for restoration removal?

6 posts in this topic

Hello!

First time poster :-)

I have just bought my first slabbed comic - Haunt of Fear #5 - which was slabbed about 18 months ago. It has a restored grade of 7.0 and the restoration score is 'Slight (B-1)'.

I'd like to investigate having the restoration removed with a view to having it re-graded with a universal grade. I have 2 questions:

1. Is the book assessed prior to any work to ascertain if it actually can be 'unrestored'?

2. Does the time from when the restoration was done impact how effectively it can be removed?

Thanks!

1. CCS will review if the restoration is removable if you send it to them prior to cracking the slab.  IF they cant tell you because they can not see the restoration (such as in the interior of the book), they will inform you prior to cracking the slab.  Some restoration can not be fixed such as cover trims.

2. It can, it depends on what the restoration is.

I will tell you from experience that removing restoration almost always lowers the grade of the book

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

18 hours ago, PanchoG said:

Hello!

First time poster :-)

I have just bought my first slabbed comic - Haunt of Fear #5 - which was slabbed about 18 months ago. It has a restored grade of 7.0 and the restoration score is 'Slight (B-1)'.

I'd like to investigate having the restoration removed with a view to having it re-graded with a universal grade. I have 2 questions:

1. Is the book assessed prior to any work to ascertain if it actually can be 'unrestored'?

2. Does the time from when the restoration was done impact how effectively it can be removed?

Thanks!

You need to post a picture for us to give a good answer.