• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney announces deal to acquire Fox studios
3 3

36 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Certainly don't need another movie anytime soon, but do you think this may open up Marvel to once again produce Marvel's flagship title on a monthly basis again?  I hope so. 

I've never care for the FF in book or movie form.  Just never got into them. 

14 hours ago, VintageComics said:

If there are anti-trust issues that can affect the general public, do you still want it to get approved quickly just so that you collection can be worth more?

I had to do the numbers for Schniderman back in 2012 for the NBC/Comcast merger.  At the time, based on the US market, the market share for film revenue led to the following market power percentage:

Time Warner (soon to be AT&T) 17.1%

Disney 15.7%

Sony 10.5%

21st Century Fox 9.7%

Viacom (They own Paramount) 8.9%

Dreamworks SKG (Now a subsidiary of Comcast, but at the time a stand alone) 1.8%

Comcast (Universal) 13.1%

Lionsgate 9.8%

Weinstein 4.5%

Other 8.3%

This gives us an HHI (Herfindahl-Hirschman Index, the unit used to determine how concentrated a market is) of 1,182.  Per the DOJ that is a very low score and not much market concentration.  However, assuming the numbers are the same (they're not, I will redo them over the weekend) but all the mergers go in place, the new market looks like this:

AT&T 17.1%

Disney 25.4%

Sony 10.5%

Viacom 8.9%

Comcast 14.9%

Lionsgate 9.8%

Weinstein 4.5%

Other 8.3% 

With an HHI of 1,465.33  Still well below the DOJ's warning level of concentration, but a significant increase (almost 300 points) in concentration.  Let me look at the numbers that come out this weekend and I'll update then.

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

I had to do the numbers for Schniderman back in 2012 for the NBC/Comcast merger.  At the time, based on the US market, the market share for film revenue led to the following market power percentage:

Time Warner (soon to be AT&T) 17.1%

Disney 15.7%

Sony 10.5%

21st Century Fox 9.7%

Viacom (They own Paramount) 8.9%

Dreamworks SKG (Now a subsidiary of Comcast, but at the time a stand alone) 1.8%

Comcast (Universal) 13.1%

Lionsgate 9.8%

Weinstein 4.5%

Other 8.3%

This gives us an HHI (Herfindahl-Hirschman Index, the unit used to determine how concentrated a market is) of 1,182.  Per the DOJ that is a very low score and not much market concentration.  However, assuming the numbers are the same (they're not, I will redo them over the weekend) but all the mergers go in place, the new market looks like this:

AT&T 17.1%

Disney 25.4%

Sony 10.5%

Viacom 8.9%

Comcast 14.9%

Lionsgate 9.8%

Weinstein 4.5%

Other 8.3% 

With an HHI of 1,465.33  Still well below the DOJ's warning level of concentration, but a significant increase (almost 300 points) in concentration.  Let me look at the numbers that come out this weekend and I'll update then.

You might want to look into what the merger does with Fox Sports and ESPN on a local level.  I did not say national level as Fox Sports at that level isn't a part of this deal.  Fox had been buying the rights to team's radio over the last 12 months or so.  ESPN is going to have a huge footprint in local markets due to this. 

18 hours ago, VintageComics said:

If there are anti-trust issues that can affect the general public, do you still want it to get approved quickly just so that you collection can be worth more?

Actually never thought about my collection, was more along the lines of Marvel characters in the same universe 

3 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:
21 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Actually never thought about my collection, was more along the lines of Marvel characters in the same universe 

Apologies. I didn't think of it that way. Too used to the new 'pump and dump' mentality of the chat forum lately. lol

3 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Still needs antitrust approval and Government approval in a few countries, will take over a year to do

jaybuck43's post is very informative.

@jaybuck43 - do you see the merger happening in the end as it looks to be pretty significant. Or do you see the current administration as looking on it favorable because of the current trendy view towards big business?

9 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

I've never care for the FF in book or movie form.  Just never got into them. 

To each his own, but the Kirby-Lee stuff is what comics are all about.  Byrne did awesome on his runs too.  Claremont great as well.  They have had some excellent times. 

15 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

To each his own, but the Kirby-Lee stuff is what comics are all about.  Byrne did awesome on his runs too.  Claremont great as well.  They have had some excellent times. 

Right, to each his own.  I've just never gotten into the team.  Sorry, but one plastic man on the planet was enough for me.

Edited by Lucky Baru

On 12/15/2017 at 11:26 AM, Lucky Baru said:

You might want to look into what the merger does with Fox Sports and ESPN on a local level.  I did not say national level as Fox Sports at that level isn't a part of this deal.  Fox had been buying the rights to team's radio over the last 12 months or so.  ESPN is going to have a huge footprint in local markets due to this. 

The anti-trust issues will deal with ESPN absorbing Fox Sports regional affiliates. ESPN is national and Fox Sports built the largest regional network. Now ESPN could be the largest national and regional sports distributor.

Also, if the numbers come back as projected by Forbes, Disney/Marvel Studios and Fox will account for approximately 40% of this year's $$$ at the box office. What pressure will this put on movie theaters if Disney decides to squeeze them for reserving screens (obligated for other studios) or concession profits? 

If this goes through as planned, cable TV networks are scared of what Fox News will become once they get an infusion of billion$. 

4 hours ago, FN-2199 said:

The anti-trust issues will deal with ESPN absorbing Fox Sports regional affiliates. ESPN is national and Fox Sports built the largest regional network. Now ESPN could be the largest national and regional sports distributor.

Also, if the numbers come back as projected by Forbes, Disney/Marvel Studios and Fox will account for approximately 40% of this year's $$$ at the box office. What pressure will this put on movie theaters if Disney decides to squeeze them for reserving screens (obligated for other studios) or concession profits? 

If this goes through as planned, cable TV networks are scared of what Fox News will become once they get an infusion of billion$. 

Not so fast with the very hypothetical concerns. I trust regulators over politicians on these deals, to be honest.

Five antitrust experts said this week the deal would likely win approval from the U.S. Justice Department, which is expected to review the purchase since they have reviewed other content deals, although the agency may require asset sales or conditions.” [Reuters]

I’m an antitrust attorney.  Divestments (asset sales required for the deal to go through) will help determine the post-deal landscape.  Disney is a behemoth in any event; very little bad behavior of note from them to date, relatively speaking.  The quality has spoken for itself, i.e. easy to say they’ve earned it.

Edited by exitmusicblue