• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November '71, Marvel Cover Prices?

16 posts in this topic

Was November of ‘71 a weird month that Marvel put out 15 cent covers, 20 cent covers, and the larger size 25 centers? If so, I get that the 25 centers were for a specific reason. However, has Marvel ever put out so many non price variants in the same month?

Seems like most of the more popular issues and some Westerns were the thicker 25 cent issues. I believe Amazing Adventures #9 was from that month and a 20 center, as was Creatures on the Loose 14 and Two-Gun Kid 101. And the "kid" type issues remained at 15 cents, Li'l Kids #3 for instance. Marvel Spotlight #1 also was issued at 15 cents.

Did Marvel ever do this before or since? I know this isn't going to create some new variant craze, it just seems a bit odd. 

7 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Do you know if all books changed, or only most of them? How were the thicker 25 cent US books priced in England that month?

The titles which had a pence variant on that date were 6p for a regular size issue or 8p for a double size.  Quite a coincidence really, the experiment in one off double sized issues clashing with English decimalisation. 

To illustrate, here's two Nov 71 8p double sized issues....

102p.thumb.jpg.05b3b3cf6b503d4eecb2e74ab6ad2e8e.jpg 93.thumb.jpg.7d97f410b2271efc549daaaebc305c1d.jpg 

...followed by their Dec 71 6p regular sized issues:

103p.thumb.jpg.a7aa77d1e7b44027001bb85c1b1f9762.jpg 94.thumb.jpg.42cdf7e79db5485d97e71b74f9baaf25.jpg

Re the titles in your first post:

Amazing Adventures #9 

9.thumb.jpg.c95c31265e718c78451586ec5431e312.jpg

Creatures on the Loose 14 - no pence copy exists

Two-Gun Kid 101 - no pence copy exists

Li'l Kids #3 - no pence copy exists

Marvel Spotlight #1 - no pence copy exists

Let me know if you're interested in any other titles (thumbsu

10 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

The titles which had a pence variant on that date were 6p for a regular size issue or 8p for a double size.  Quite a coincidence really, the experiment in one off double sized issues clashing with English decimalisation. 

Actually, sorry, not all double sized were 8p - this FF is only 6p. Odd isn't it hm

116.thumb.jpg.aea5e4fee21b6bea3294a410af1c4d6f.jpg

4 hours ago, electricprune said:

Was November of ‘71 a weird month that Marvel put out 15 cent covers, 20 cent covers, and the larger size 25 centers? If so, I get that the 25 centers were for a specific reason. However, has Marvel ever put out so many non price variants in the same month?

Seems like most of the more popular issues and some Westerns were the thicker 25 cent issues. I believe Amazing Adventures #9 was from that month and a 20 center, as was Creatures on the Loose 14 and Two-Gun Kid 101. And the "kid" type issues remained at 15 cents, Li'l Kids #3 for instance. Marvel Spotlight #1 also was issued at 15 cents.

Did Marvel ever do this before or since? I know this isn't going to create some new variant craze, it just seems a bit odd. 

I thought all titles went to 25-cent giant-size books for that one month to ease the sting of transition from 15 to 20 cents? There were 15's and 20's (at normal size) that month too?

24 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I thought all titles went to 25-cent giant-size books for that one month to ease the sting of transition from 15 to 20 cents? There were 15's and 20's (at normal size) that month too?

Well, my post was as much a questions as a statement. But looking at the dates, it looks like the ones I listed are all from 11-71. I believe there are a handful more I didn't list as well, both 20 cent and 15 cent issues. I haven't seen a title with a 25 cent cover and a 15 or 20 cent cover, so I believe it's correct.

7 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Well, my post was as much a questions as a statement. But looking at the dates, it looks like the ones I listed are all from 11-71. I believe there are a handful more I didn't list as well, both 20 cent and 15 cent issues. I haven't seen a title with a 25 cent cover and a 15 or 20 cent cover, so I believe it's correct.

I guess so! I always thought the story was it was a price-hike obfuscation, but that apocrypha does not hold up if some were 15 and 20.

I Do wonder if the pattern over three months is 15-25-20 across all titles, as Avengers 93 was a 25-cent giant. Hmmm....

Edited by Readcomix
Typos galore

On 12/22/2017 at 9:37 AM, electricprune said:

Yep

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/newsstand.php?publisher=marvel&type=cover&month=11&year=1971&sort=alpha

9 minutes ago, Primetime said:

And there is the answer, thanks! It looks like the 15 cent covers were release very early for a November cover date. I'm guessing why they weren't changed.

8 minutes ago, electricprune said:

And there is the answer, thanks! It looks like the 15 cent covers were release very early for a November cover date. I'm guessing why they weren't changed.

8 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Happy to help. My guess is that is appeared Marvel was trying to experiment with a price bump from 15 to 25 cents. In doing so, they printed 48 page comics and priced them at a quarter while having some 15 centers out still. Somehow, perhaps sales data reflected a quarter was too steep a hike so they opted to go with 20 cents. Of course we know in 1974, it did go up to a quarter followed by all the 30 and 35 cent price variant experimentation.