• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High priced modern comic art
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2018 at 9:50 PM, Nexus said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with a seller asking whatever he wants. Where SGM *might* have skirted the line was in hyping WHITE KNIGHT as the next DKR (with himself as the next Miller). If it wasn’t that explicit, it was at least implicit...and very calculated. That it looks to have worked, well, maybe buyers have themselves to blame, too. Certainly, in this hobby, hardly unusual behavior. I mentioned it here, as others had made that point previously. YMMV.

Oh. It was explicit. That’s literally how he sold it to DC when he was negotiating with them. 

14 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

who is the current IT spidey artist?  Stegman?  if yes, then seems like you can get your pick of a ton of art at reasonable prices.  nothing near what finch, sgm, capullo, etc are asking for Batman.

http://cadencecomicart.com/artist.php?artist=32

Stegman draws digitally, though. OA from Stuart Immonen’s run on ASM sold pretty well. 

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

On a separate, but related note, I saw on Twitter than Brian Hitch and Sean G. Murphy were talking about how Brian should break away from The Man (i.e. an OA rep) and sell his stuff directly to "The People."

Same old argument though...not everyone has the time/support staff i.e. family/smarts to do it right and the middleman will always exist despite bringing nothing but convenience.

Rafael Grampa is selling a Batman cover and you get a sketch with the purchase for $10K. Batman premium in effect. (I myself would jump on a Grampa if I saw it cheap enough for me but no interest in SGM.)

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

Same old argument though...not everyone has the time/support staff i.e. family/smarts to do it right and the middleman will always exist despite bringing nothing but convenience.

Rafael Grampa is selling a Batman cover and you get a sketch with the purchase for $10K. Batman premium in effect. (I myself would jump on a Grampa if I saw it cheap enough for me but no interest in SGM.)

If it's this one, it sold already.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1445110

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There you go! In only a few days as it was not marked sold when I looked it over recently. The quality of the "sketch" is some of the value but $10K for a brand new cover. Good for him and a great piece of art for the buyer. I hope we see the sketch too!

4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Last couple of years. He inks blue line print outs for his published OA. 

Interesting.  my interior i'm about positive has real pencils on it, the blue line pencil marks are still visible and not photocopies.

It was also inked by John livesay, not stegman directly.  Maybe I'll ping Livesay directly to make sure it's physical pencils (just so i know exactly what I have)

3 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

i have the cover to superior spidey 2. i think its blueline with original inks by him.

So, I asked Mr Livesay and basically he said that at this point Stegman was doing layouts digital, and then physical pencils. that John inked.  So it may make sense that if he was inking it himself he may have skipped pencils all together.  But he also said that there was a transition, so he may be all digital now and Ryan's the best source to get all that info.

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

So, I asked Mr Livesay and basically he said that at this point Stegman was doing layouts digital, and then physical pencils. that John inked.  So it may make sense that if he was inking it himself he may have skipped pencils all together.  But he also said that there was a transition, so he may be all digital now and Ryan's the best source to get all that info.

Fwiw, a buddy has a Stegman page from his Fantastic Four issues during Hickman's run, and I believe that's full pencils/inks on the page. Maybe he shifted to digital after that period?

i don't think there's really FMV you can estimate.....if we take the case of SGM, the prices are what they are because he knows some people are ready to pay that price (and he sold some, or else, he would have lowered the prices)

and the same goes for every artist, alex ross, campbell, anyone

We talked a lot about SGM, but to me, he didn't do anything wrong, and all artists are doing the same thing, trying to get the best price from their art....but people talked a lot about SGM because  i guess they're frustated  about not being able to buy a batman page anymore (i was frustated too, i was so ready to buy a page, but when i saw the prices, it was too much for me)

the only one who i think is over exagerating is capullo, i don't think his batman run was that good (it was just average, and he still doesn't know how to draw a human figure), and he charges his page the double of a frank miller page (at least)

On 1/4/2018 at 8:48 PM, Panelfan1 said:

@stinkininkin wondering if you also collect modern art from new comics?

Your comment - made me sincerely curious

Either way, as a collector, I'm only buying art I love and not art that someone convinces me is the next big thing (big price or no), but maybe that's just me.

No, I don't collect modern art.  My statement just reflects my general philosophy when it comes to collecting.  I started collecting OA in 1980, and back then a lot of art I collected WAS modern art at the time.  Among other things, I bought Frank Miller art from Daredevil and the Wolverine mini even though it was only a year or two old at the time.  Even the "old" stuff I coveted and accumulated like Kirby, Adams and Wrightson was generally less than 10 years old at the time.

However, I do think there is a great deal of just outstanding art being produced today, and feel it's a good time to collect strictly from a quality of art standpoint, while price point is a completely different conversation.

Scott

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

No, I don't collect modern art.  My statement just reflects my general philosophy when it comes to collecting.  I started collecting OA in 1980, and back then a lot of art I collected WAS modern art at the time.  Among other things, I bought Frank Miller art from Daredevil and the Wolverine mini even though it was only a year or two old at the time.  Even the "old" stuff I coveted and accumulated like Kirby, Adams and Wrightson was generally less than 10 years old at the time.

However, I do think there is a great deal of just outstanding art being produced today, and feel it's a good time to collect strictly from a quality of art standpoint, while price point is a completely different conversation.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I appreciate your reply  -but am curious - you feel its a good time to collect from a quality standpoint, as long as its not you doing so?  hope this doesn't seem like I am trying  to pick a fight - I just love talking art and you are a super cool guy (talked with you at SDCC a few times)  What you are saying is that quality is not the reason you personally buy, rather its stuff that you liked in the past? because on these boards, a lot of folks would agree they buy for nostalgia. if a person is a  modern comic reader -and like the stories and art being produced - that's not exactly nostalgia but its still a connection to the comic.

Personally, I buy both nostalgia based stuff and modern stuff where the art appeals to me -but usually with characters I relate to (out of nostalgia). For example - I like a lot of marvel and dc heroes. if there is a new piece of art with a character I like, I will consider it and sometimes purchase based on the quality of the art (quality in this case meaning its physical appeal to me) even though there is no nostalgia with the particular modern issue its from.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Hi Scott,

I appreciate your reply  -but am curious - you feel its a good time to collect from a quality standpoint, as long as its not you doing so?  hope this doesn't seem like I am trying  to pick a fight - I just love talking art and you are a super cool guy (talked with you at SDCC a few times)  What you are saying is that quality is not the reason you personally buy, rather its stuff that you liked in the past? because on these boards, a lot of folks would agree they buy for nostalgia. if a person is a  modern comic reader -and like the stories and art being produced - that's not exactly nostalgia but its still a connection to the comic.

Personally, I buy both nostalgia based stuff and modern stuff where the art appeals to me -but usually with characters I relate to (out of nostalgia). For example - I like a lot of marvel and dc heroes. if there is a new piece of art with a character I like, I will consider it and sometimes purchase based on the quality of the art (quality in this case meaning its physical appeal to me) even though there is no nostalgia with the particular modern issue its from.

I'm not hell bent on acquiring ANYTHING, whether new or old, nostalgic or not because I am on the back end of my particular collecting cycle.  I buy very little these days because I am shocked at how much I love my collection and don't have a tremendous need to improve upon it (especially with the finite resources at my disposal).  I think one can participate in this hobby via the friends made and seeing the art that comes along (and commenting on it and the state of the hobby like I do here on this board) without necessarily being in the mix to add another piece to the collection.  If the right piece comes along every once in a while at the right price, I'd definitely be interested in adding on, but quite honestly you're probably talking to the wrong guy about active collecting strategies.  I'm no longer that guy.

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

21 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Scott

Philip Tan's work fits into your observation about outstanding art being produced today.  I'm surprised that his work is still as reasonably priced as it is compared to some of the other modern artist.