• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Living large on Stan’s dime!
2 2

92 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

When I used to work in HR, one of the employees came in one day and said he just discovered he hadn't got a check in the past three months or so.

It turns out he had gotten drunk when traveling, and passed out before he could get his motel door closed.  Someone rolled him, and obtained his bank card pin out of his wallet, and started making withdrawals from his account.  So he moved the money to a new bank account, without notifying HR about the change.  Since his checks had been electronically deposited in the old account, they just started to bounce back to Treasury, which at that time only did like quarterly audits on unclaimed funds.

The interesting thing about this to me is none of our jobs made anyone rich.  I couldn't believe any of them (or me) could go three months without a paycheck and not notice.  Most employees would be squealing the first payperiod without a check.  I didn't know much about the guy, but I assumed then that he was independently wealthy in some manner, and was just working as a hobby of some sort.

This is one of my anxiety dreams that pop up every so often: I realize I haven't been paid for a while, but can't remember how long, and don't know how to find out.

Others are: It's moving day/I'm leaving a vacation spot and I have rooms full of stuff that haven't been packed;  I'm working two jobs, and neither employer knows of the other and both expect me to work with them at the same time - and I've suddenly remembered something is due that I haven't started;   I'd forgotten I still own some of my old cars, and I can't remember where they are - and when I find one, it gets moved again before I can locate the key;  A beautiful woman wants to be intimate with me, but we can't find a private place, and if we do, something happens to interrupt us. 

44 minutes ago, rjpb said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

When I used to work in HR, one of the employees came in one day and said he just discovered he hadn't got a check in the past three months or so.

It turns out he had gotten drunk when traveling, and passed out before he could get his motel door closed.  Someone rolled him, and obtained his bank card pin out of his wallet, and started making withdrawals from his account.  So he moved the money to a new bank account, without notifying HR about the change.  Since his checks had been electronically deposited in the old account, they just started to bounce back to Treasury, which at that time only did like quarterly audits on unclaimed funds.

The interesting thing about this to me is none of our jobs made anyone rich.  I couldn't believe any of them (or me) could go three months without a paycheck and not notice.  Most employees would be squealing the first payperiod without a check.  I didn't know much about the guy, but I assumed then that he was independently wealthy in some manner, and was just working as a hobby of some sort.

This is one of my anxiety dreams that pop up every so often: I realize I haven't been paid for a while, but can't remember how long, and don't know how to find out.

Others are: It's moving day/I'm leaving a vacation spot and I have rooms full of stuff that haven't been packed;  I'm working two jobs, and neither employer knows of the other and both expect me to work with them at the same time - and I've suddenly remembered something is due that I haven't started;   I'd forgotten I still own some of my old cars, and I can't remember where they are - and when I find one, it gets moved again before I can locate the key;  A beautiful woman wants to be intimate with me, but we can't find a private place, and if we do, something happens to interrupt us. 

I have had very similar dreams throughout the course of my life..., 

Including the failed parachute one.  I was a smokejumper for nine years, and accumulated 226 jumps on both round and square parachute systems.  Anyway, I can verify that you don't die when you hit the ground (bounce) in a dream.  However, it does scare the carp out of you, and wakes you up.

57 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Well since were escalating. My biggest nightmare which thank god i never get often is me getting stuck in a small and very tight elevator. I mean Im not even joking I wouldnt be surprised if one day Ill just DIE from that dream

Then theres the less stressful nightmare episodes of me forgetting where I parked my car and me forgetting to feed my dog while I was away for a few days

A few summer ago I had this crazy dream/nightmare, may have even been sleep paralysis. I thought I was awake as I could see my bedroom, walls starting creaking and all of a sudden the entire rear wall of the house started separating and fell off the house crashing down, and I could feel the impact. 

This happened like a day or two after I had installed a window A/C.  I think I was worried that I didn't secure it well enough at the time, and then dreamed that it was so heavy it pulled the wall off the house. 

49 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Well since were escalating. My biggest nightmare which thank god i never get often is me getting stuck in a small and very tight elevator. I mean Im not even joking I wouldnt be surprised if one day Ill just DIE from that dream

Then theres the less stressful nightmare episodes of me forgetting where I parked my car and me forgetting to feed my dog while I was away for a few days

I don't have it very often but one frantic dream that stands out for me involves a room full of large aquariums. No lights on in the room other than the ambient glow of the fish tank lighting.  I had aquariums since the age of 11 but gave it up around the time I turned 40. Just didn't have the time or the interest I guess. But in the dream-- I have tons of different tanks (they are on shelving stacked to the ceiling, against the walls of the room) and they are all in terrible shape with fish not being fed, algae growth, low water-- it is a weird dream.

The other one I have sometimes (more frequently when I was younger) is hard to describe. There are these vertical lines that I guess I am in the middle of and then they start getting more and more compressed until there is nothing but darkness. I think that one has to do with either death or possibly claustrophobia. Most of my dreams are kind of fun though or like watching a movie. In fact, when I wake up remembering a good one, I update a my email log I have of the dream in terms of a potential movie or TV idea.

Edited by 01TheDude

13 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

OK last one on the topic of dreams (kind of) and now this is the craziest thing im ever gonna share on this board:

There was a time I used to date chicks and whenever they spent the night I used to ALWAYS have dreams about high end keys - I sh*t you not. I could never explain it.. It wasnt so much a dream but more of a repetitive thought about a certain random book which popped in my head while I was in deep sleep with each girl 

Go figure that one out!!

Was this the book you dreamt of aweandlorder?

journey_shagg1.jpg

4 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Man, this little gem is buried in the Living Large on Stan's Dime thread.

I'm going to figure this one out:

Satisfying your sexual impulses through conquests previously thought unattainable is repeated in your subconscious with a substitute and more powerful object of desire. It's innate wish fulfillment.

So, if you are able to figure out how to get the girl, your mind is telling you there is a way to get that high-end key.

:tink:

A-MAZING!

^^

Thank you friend. I knew it had to make sense!!

On 1/4/2018 at 9:55 PM, ygogolak said:

How much money do you have to to not notice $850k missing?

He deservedly has quite a bit, but I'm sure it's more the fact that he's 91 years old and hires accountants (and apparently not the most diligent ones) to take care of his money that's the reason.

6 minutes ago, namisgr said:

He deservedly has quite a bit, but I'm sure it's more the fact that he's 91 years old and hires accountants (and apparently not the most diligent ones) to take care of his money that's the reason.

Yes, I'm sure he personally doesn't have a clue day-to-day how much he has. But there should be someone watching that.

Yup. He's very old, likely in poor health, has recently lost his wife, is quite vulnerable, and if he's employing a financial team they should've been more competent and alert under the circumstances.

Here's what I don't get - its 2018.  Basically any bank worth its salt has online account access.  So there's no one on Stan's team that does a daily login at 9ish AM, checks the transaction ledger, and says "$850,000 made out to 'Condo for me!!!'?  Hey, wait a minute..."?  Total incompetence, or an inside job.