• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] A little ROMANCE
1 1

55 posts in this topic

1st :takeit: takes it

PayPal please within 3 days

Shipping is $10 per book for CONTUS - $15 to our Canadian friends.  More than one book, actual shipping will apply. 

Returns within 7 days of receipt, shipping back on you unless I miss something

No HOSies or Probies

Edited by Dr. Love

Reserved for recap

Cowboy Love #29  SOLD to Comcav

First Romance #24 SOLD to PopKulture

Girls' Love #19  SOLD to Comcav

Great Lover Romances #18  SOLD to Bumble Kitty

Pictorial Romances #19 SOLD to Comcav

Teen-Age Diary Secrets #4 SOLD to Comcav

Secret Loves #1 SOLD to Comcav

Young Love #39 SOLD to Bumble Kitty

Secret Hearts #7 SOLD to goldust40

Romance Tales #9 PULLED

THANK YOU - this thread is closed.  Please PM if you have any interest in the following books that are left.

Love Tales #50  VG/F $125  $85  -- great Hartley cover, signed Everett story

Lovers #35 G $25  $15  -- signed Maneely cover, one of only three

Romance Diary #2 VF- $100 -- early Marvel photocover, low issue number

Sweethearts #120 VF+ $75 -- start of Charlton bronze age romance, hippy tie dye Peter Max

Sweetheart Diary #41 VG $25  $15 -- one of the few Charlton 68 page .15 cent books

thank you!  this thread ends tonight around 11 pst. 

Edited by Dr. Love

Cowboy Love #29 (Charlton, 4/55) VG+ Supple and tight  $45  SOLD

Barely silver, with the big code box that is kinda cool.  Of course for a title like this, going Code didn't really make a whole lot of difference!  Cowboy Love was one of the titles that Charlton acquired from Fawcett as they went down.  Fawcett had it for 11 photocover (Fawcett only did photocovers for romance) issues from '49-'51, then Charlton gave it 4 issues in '55.

The cover here is inspired work by Ted Galindo (pencils) and Ray Osrin (inks).  Osrin is a great inker who did a lot of work with Baker.  Simply and beautifully composed, with a subtle sky color fade into fantastic shading work in the foreground.  It is a peaceful, romantic moment.  When I see it I always think of the James Taylor song, "Sweet Baby James".  I have hunted and have never found even a mid-grade copy over 25 years.  I love it so much I finally got a VG copy that I gave to Matt Nelson to restore to a lovely condition.  It's one of my Burning House books - one of those you'd run out with or maybe even back in for.

Additionally it has some GREAT art inside.  Which, believe me, is not always the case with romance books.  Steranko once remarked that romance is incredibly hard to draw well.  Some were masters, others merely filling the pages.  I imagine it was not seen as a plum assignment.  Marc Swayze was a Fawcett house guy who worked on Whiz and Wow and moved over to Charlton with the Fawcett inventory.  He only did a handful of covers, but his panel work really shone.  He really came into his own artistically in the mid '50s.  "Outlaw Girl", a 7 page story, is a great example of his fine work.

CowboyLove29fb_zpsu23tesff.jpg

CowboyLove29bb_zpsmlspgw85.jpg

CowboyLove29pg24_zpsqu0xzaui.jpg

cowboylove29pg29_zpsl1kmv7qk.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

First Romance #24 (Fawcett, 10/53).  Fine ish, ding/tear bottom left fc.  Inside covers lightly toned, LT-OW pages, as often with Harvey.  Supple and tight.  $25  SOLD

Love the cover on this book, one of the semi-violent Harvey covers, or maybe the category called "not willing".  Always a buy for this kind of image.  Interior is great, too with stories by Andru and Powell.

FirstRomance24fb_zpsdrnvqdak.jpg        

FirstRomance24pg12_zpsv4tyxsyw.jpg         

FirstRomance24pg28_zpsat13rvtv.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

Cowboy Love #29 (Charlton, 4/55) VG+ Supple and tight  $45

Barely silver, with the big code box that is kinda cool.  Of course for a title like this, going Code didn't really make a whole lot of difference!  Cowboy Love was one of the titles that Charlton acquired from Fawcett as they went down.  Fawcett had it for 11 photocover (Fawcett only did photocovers for romance) issues from '49-'51, then Charlton gave it 4 issues in '55.

The cover here is inspired work by Ted Galindo (pencils) and Ray Osrin (inks).  Osrin is a great inker who did a lot of work with Baker.  Simply and beautifully composed, with a subtle sky color fade into fantastic shading work in the foreground.  It is a peaceful, romantic moment.  When I see it I always think of the James Taylor song, "Sweet Baby James".  I have hunted and have never found even a mid-grade copy over 25 years.  I love it so much I finally got a VG copy that I gave to Matt Nelson to restore to a lovely condition.  It's one of my Burning House books - one of those you'd run out with or maybe even back in for.

Additionally it has some GREAT art inside.  Which, believe me, is not always the case with romance books.  Steranko once remarked that romance is incredibly hard to draw well.  Some were masters, others merely filling the pages.  I imagine it was not seen as a plum assignment.  Marc Swayze was a Fawcett house guy who worked on Whiz and Wow and moved over to Charlton with the Fawcett inventory.  He only did a handful of covers, but his panel work really shone.  He really came into his own artistically in the mid '50s.  "Outlaw Girl", a 7 page story, is a great example of his fine work.

CowboyLove29fb_zpsu23tesff.jpg

CowboyLove29pg24_zpsqu0xzaui.jpg

cowboylove29pg29_zpsl1kmv7qk.jpg

take

Girls' Love #19  (DC, 9-10/52)  Fineish, double cover, supple and tight $100  SOLD

Early DC's are very hard to find in condition, black covers even more so.  Some great interior art, and an unbelievable back inside cover and back cover as well.  The double cover on this copy makes it possible to see the two against each other - it's divine.

GirlsLove19fc100_zpsfp2pigqs.jpg

40844867-ba97-473a-be49-2d1fc58e4185_zps

GirlsLove19bc100_zpsjrnxvi62.jpg

5ae0b277-e903-47d0-aba0-d64ab2962ec7_zps

482243bf-de31-49d9-b393-128ca70490bb_zps

Edited by Dr. Love

Just now, Dr. Love said:

Girls' Love #19  (DC, 9-10/52)  Fineish, double cover, supple and tight $100

Early DC's are very hard to find in condition, black covers even more so.  Some great interior art, and an unbelievable back inside cover and back cover as well.  The double cover on this copy makes it possible to see the two against each other - it's divine.

GirlsLove19fc100_zpsfp2pigqs.jpg

40844867-ba97-473a-be49-2d1fc58e4185_zps

GirlsLove19bc100_zpsjrnxvi62.jpg

5ae0b277-e903-47d0-aba0-d64ab2962ec7_zps

482243bf-de31-49d9-b393-128ca70490bb_zps

take

Great Lover Romances #18 (Toby, 10/54) VF/VF- Supple and tight $75  SOLD

Toby books in any genre are hard to find in condition, romance even more so.  Nice photocover of a movie couple in a faces-pressed-on-each-other clinch.  Richard Egan and Beverly Michaels from a '53 film noir, "Wicked Woman".  The inside cover fronts to a page 1 which is ads, as compared to content - this is unusual and different for the period.  I like it.  Also one of the stories has a great half splash, very Cole-ish.  Very pronounced crying one tear from one eye - very 50's atomic romance!

GreatLoverRomances18f_zpsdmesqiny.jpg

GreatLoverRomances18b_zpssrsd4dv5.jpg

234047e5-4638-4404-a498-7e6d5c79121e_zps

b0bbeac8-ff03-4280-b7fd-886b2a4c4772_zps

GreatLoverRomances18int_zpsrdzwueft.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

Love Tales #50 (Marvel, 1/52)  VG/F Supple and nice and tight (staples just slightly off the spine helps that), lots of shiny gloss ATLAS GLOBE  $125  NOW $85

GA Marvel romance are a buy these days - well, always for me.  I usually don't go for books in this shape, but the Everett stories, especially the signed ones, are a definite niche within the genre.  "When A WOMAN Fights Back!" features a great cat fight, including hair pulling and a classic Everett southpaw haymaker.  For this panel alone, worth buying.

Fantastic Hartley cover - Hartley alone is exploding in teen and his romance covers from this period are always interesting and worth buying.

LoveTales50f_zpslp0aiait.jpg

LoveTales50b_zpswzyw6twn.jpg

These interior shots are downloaded from the Timely-Atlas-Comics site - the page from my book has no ink smudging.

9247%20LOVE%20TALES%2050%20Jan52%20p.1_z

LoveTales50_catfight_zpsllrxlc5s.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

4 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

First Romance #24 (Fawcett, 10/53).  Fine ish, ding/tear bottom left fc.  Inside covers lightly toned, LT-OW pages, as often with Harvey.  Supple and tight.  $25

Love the cover on this book, one of the semi-violent Harvey covers, or maybe the category called "not willing".  Always a buy for this kind of image.  Interior is great, too with stories by Andru and Powell.

FirstRomance24fb_zpsdrnvqdak.jpg        

FirstRomance24pg12_zpsv4tyxsyw.jpg         

FirstRomance24pg28_zpsat13rvtv.jpg

take

Lovers #35 (Marvel, 9/51) G-ish large water stain, transfer stain, signed Maneely cover $25  NOW $15

This book has some issues.  But I bought it, even so, because it is the heads and shoulders best of the only three signed Maneely romance covers.  Being a native New Yorker, Scarsdale is a home town inside baseball reference.  Philandering suburbians!  Also, the three side cover panels are terrific, especially the finger pointing bottom one.  Finger pointing covers (also splashes) are a Dr. Love sanctioned romance sub-genre, very worth going after!

Lovers35f_zpsl6xhplae.jpg

Lovers35b_zpsbehhatkj.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

Romance Diary #2 (Marvel, 3/50 )  VF-  Supple and tight, transfer on covers/inside covers, common for the period  $100

Low issue number Marvel romance, between #1-3, are very collectible.  Matte photocover are the bomb.  "A LOVERS magazine" logo are the ones you most want - grown men fight over them at conventions.  Well, me and Michelle Nolan!  Marvel GA has great bullpen artists, unattributed but constantly good, especially on the half splashes.

I actually have less of a problem with transfer "staining" when it tones the complete text block and leaves the outside edges white white in comparison.  It's a cool look.  At least, that's what I tell myself after a few stiff drinks!

RomanceDiary02f_zpsnj32xtgp.jpg

RomanceDiary02b_zpssucmdblw.jpg

be5478b2-133d-4922-98ec-09a40075c553_zps

IMG_8648_zps6uneanpj.jpg

Romance Tales #9 (Marvel, 4/50) F, supple and tight, transfer on covers/inside covers, little dot of staple juice on top staple, little stain top mid fc  PULLED

Same deal on this one as the one above.  Except this one is a fat 52 pages!  These books in this structural shape never come around.  Trust me - why would I lie? :devil:

RomanceTales09f_zpsezxrmsrr.jpg

RomanceTales09b_zpsvoconvrg.jpg

0fd70e7c-4309-45e3-bd49-33787eb9f520_zps

7c1255aa-a8dc-4da8-958b-ea24212a14ee_zps

Edited by Dr. Love