• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Feb 22-24 Heritage Auction Thread
4 4

552 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

OK, I'll say it again... All you Friday guys and gals need to go outside tomorrow and get some sunshine, have a boozy brunch, and take a long nap. Leave Saturday to us minnows.

Well I accidentally followed my own advice and slept through today's lots. Well played, me. Well played.

Jusko Vampirella well bought at $4700. Somebody got a really nice painting.

Breyfogle cover was about $500-700 over what I expected, but not too far off the mark. Maybe Anarky gave it a bump?

20 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

The Stevens piece is the only one that screams “bargain”.   

Love the condition note on this one: "It appears that Stevens added a piece of Bristol board to extend the image area down another inch."

6 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Well I accidentally followed my own advice and slept through today's lots. Well played, me. Well played.

Breyfogle cover was about $500-700 over what I expected, but not too far off the mark. Maybe Anarky gave it a bump?

The Jusko Vampi was a commission.  Not a cover - at least from what I recall.  What does he charge for comissions?

You may be able to get a very nice one at a good rate and even if its the same $- you will help the artist make a living. Joe is on CAF if anyone is looking to find him.

15 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

The Jusko Vampi was a commission.  Not a cover - at least from what I recall.  What does he charge for comissions?

You may be able to get a very nice one at a good rate and even if its the same $- you will help the artist make a living. Joe is on CAF if anyone is looking to find him.

Not to derail the thread but I talked to Joe Jusko about a painted commission, maybe two years ago this was. At the time he told me that he was ridiculously behind on paid commissions; hopefully that situation has been resolved.

2 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Last year it was 5K for a painted commission.

2 hours ago, fsumavila said:

I was surprised to see that Dazzler #2 page by JRJR hammer at #2800 - a nice page, but man!

That one surprised me too, until I checked the completed sales and saw that this exact same page sold exactly 6 years ago and went for almost $2k in that sale. 

So I probably shouldn't have been shocked, but I still am. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, comix4fun said:

Are they comps for a Kane Star Wars cover that are anywhere near this? I know Infantino has been healthy in the past but I've never seen a Kane in the same universe as this price. Which means I've probably been looking in the wrong places. 

There's probably no comps like this for a Kane cover that I'm aware.  I just thought the subject matter & published time period would play a bigger factor in pricing over whomever the artist is. 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

That one surprised me too, until I checked the completed sales and saw that this exact same page sold exactly 6 years ago and went for almost $2k in that sale. 

So I probably shouldn't have been shocked, but I still am. 

Maybe a little X-Men movie cameo bump factors in as well...

12 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

The Breyfogle piece ended about where I thought it would maybe a little low.  It is one of the weaker Breyfogle covers but given nothing has popped up for a while, I imagine someone is pretty stoked to have been able to snag any cover.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

The Breyfogle piece ended about where I thought it would maybe a little low.  It is one of the weaker Breyfogle covers but given nothing has popped up for a while, I imagine someone is pretty stoked to have been able to snag any cover.

How'd you fare on the Peanuts? 

17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I bid $22K hammer back in 2013 and was the underbidder.  The winner bid $24K hammer.

Fast forward 5 years and I am no longer collecting Kirby or FF, so my $22K bid is gone.  The winner is gone too, because now he's the seller.   

In many cases, people who were underbidders on pieces often won't be there in the future and are not always replaced by other bidders/buyers even though the overall market has gone up in the interim.  That is apparently what happened with this splash. 

Interesting point. Makes me think about the pieces I buy today and how they will be valued years down the line. Another reason to buy what you love and forget about what its "worth". Value will be constantly changing. 

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

oh man, that salt really burns !

under bidder on four.  I really wanted that Lucy/Charlie Brown Doctor is in so I held off bidding too hard on the earlier ones hoping to pike that one up but I was out after it crossed $30k.

“Behold the Underbidder!”

14124380-E990-4246-AA40-9BA5B4FD6B9A.gif

2 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Interesting point. Makes me think about the pieces I buy today and how they will be valued years down the line. Another reason to buy what you love and forget about what its "worth". Value will be constantly changing. 

Well those are two often contradictory statements; either you buy with a view to the future, or you buy what you love and damn the torpedoes.

I guess I look for the small intersection of those ideas.    The stuff I love that has upside.

Not in the featured auction, but the one that ended today. Thought the price was surprising for it even though it was a nice early issue battle page. Is this in line with early ROM, and have prices really increased that much?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/sal-buscema-rom-4-story-page-3-original-art-marvel-1980-/a/121808-14027.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

22 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I bid $22K hammer back in 2013 and was the underbidder.  The winner bid $24K hammer.

Fast forward 5 years and I am no longer collecting Kirby or FF, so my $22K bid is gone.  The winner is gone too, because now he's the seller.   

A very interesting present day case study of what you have said is to come 20 years in the future.