• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever "hoarded"
3 3

112 posts in this topic

For me it was Eternals 1 in 1976.  I bought 6 mint copies of them off the newsstand (the clerk looked at me weirdly).  That set me back a WHOLE $1.50 which was a lot of my spending money back then (I was 14 at the time and had a paper route to make money).

I had seen that Howard the Duck #1 & Xmen 94 were skyrocketing in price as back issues and that gave me my first conscious thought that maybe there was money to be made in comics.  I had only bought 1 issue each of those two comics (remember the boom on Howard the Duck #1 and x94 after they came out?).

WHY WHY didn't I keep pursuing the hobby back then?  I fell out of comics when I got my first girlfriend I think.  I came back to comics for a short time in college, but didn't fully immerse myself again until about the year 2000.

As for the 6 "mint" copies of Eternals 1...... I have NO idea whatsoever where they are or what I did with them.  But if I still had them.... 5 of them were unread.  If slabbed that might have been about $1500 worth of Eternals.

So what was the first comic you ever hoarded?

Moon Knight #55 (1st S. Platt art) My LCS at the time had 10 copies of this issue in the 3/$1 bin--Loved the cover <3:cloud9:--and I purchased them all!

My older brother bought 10 copies of Spectacular Spider-man comic #1 at 30c cover price. Back then, Capt America #100 in vf- was same value as Howard Duck #1 at an aggressive $4 retail! Hey, that was WAY over guide. :flipbait: I bought 10 copies of American Flagg #1 during the Independent Press  hype days.

49 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

For me it was Eternals 1 in 1976.  I bought 6 mint copies of them off the newsstand (the clerk looked at me weirdly).  That set me back a WHOLE $1.50 which was a lot of my spending money back then (I was 14 at the time and had a paper route to make money).

I had seen that Howard the Duck #1 & Xmen 94 were skyrocketing in price as back issues and that gave me my first conscious thought that maybe there was money to be made in comics.  I had only bought 1 issue each of those two comics (remember the boom on Howard the Duck #1 and x94 after they came out?).

WHY WHY didn't I keep pursuing the hobby back then?  I fell out of comics when I got my first girlfriend I think.  I came back to comics for a short time in college, but didn't fully immerse myself again until about the year 2000.

As for the 6 "mint" copies of Eternals 1...... I have NO idea whatsoever where they are or what I did with them.  But if I still had them.... 5 of them were unread.  If slabbed that might have been about $1500 worth of Eternals.

Secret wars 1

Bought multiples copies!

of course i didn't buy multiples of SW 8!

I did pretty much the same thing stopped collecting in the 80s got back in the the early 00's 

imagine what we could have got TOS 39 for in 2000? 

40 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

First multiple copies ever bought off the newsstand... New Teen Titans #1.

Perez jumping to DC was big news back in my day.

Besides, it said 1st Collector's Item Issue on the cover.

Well any comic that says "1st issue Collectors item" will always put your kids thru college

(looks at his 50 copies of NFL superpro) 

7 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Secret wars 1

Bought multiples copies!

of course i didn't buy multiples of SW 8!

I did pretty much the same thing stopped collecting in the 80s got back in the the early 00's 

A 4.0ish 200.00

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

You gotta pray that they make a great movie of the eternals!

I send you comic book karma that will happen!

I have 4 copies of xmen 4 hoping omega red will be worth something!

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

That's how much it cost me in 2000.:foryou:

lucky S#$#^@!!!!!

I am jealous!

did you have enough sense to get the others to go with it?

JIM  83 85

TTA 27 35 44

Avengers 1 2 4 57 

FF 1 4 5 12 etc.......

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

lucky S#$#^@!!!!!

I am jealous!

did you have enough sense to get the others to go with it?

JIM  83 85

TTA 27 35 44

Avengers 1 2 4 57 

FF 1 4 5 12 etc.......

Just check out the sig. line.:cloud9:

33 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Not to mention AF15s.

Not so long ago I bought three AF15s 3.0s for $3000 each.  I don't have any of them now. :cry:  I sold them each for about $4000 and thought I had hit the jackpot.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Shogun warriors 1 for me. 2 copies. I hate to break the news, but it is inlikely, even if you tried, that you would have kept those eternals 1s in 9.8 shape for 40 years.

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

Shogun warriors 1 for me. 2 copies. I hate to break the news, but it is inlikely, even if you tried, that you would have kept those eternals 1s in 9.8 shape for 40 years.

Well for at least 5 years they were unread and well protected in the back of my underwear/sock drawer.  Back in those days I hadn't discovered mylars and backing boards.