• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink 2018 Show 'em if you got 'em
13 13

897 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, october said:

Yeah, it all depends on what books you are looking at. I collect higher grade Atomic Age horror, classic covers, etc. To say ANY of that stuff is a "buyer's market" is laughable. Prices have exploded over the last two years, with plenty off books doubling in a matter of months. 8.0-9.4 later silver and bronze run books draw limited interest, but what else is new? The hobby is pretty segmented, with some pieces in a seemingly endless bear market and with other areas stagnating for years with no end in sight. 

But when a book sells for 30-40% under GPA you have to wonder if its the auction format.  GPA is theoretically comprised of sales of the exact same grade that sold over the last 3 months.  If you have 4 BIN sales of a run 9.4 that average to $90 and then the auction sells for $50 you have to scratch your head why 4 copies sold so much higher or why put books up for auction.

12 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But when a book sells for 30-40% under GPA you have to wonder if its the auction format.  GPA is theoretically comprised of sales of the exact same grade that sold over the last 3 months.  If you have 4 BIN sales of a run 9.4 that average to $90 and then the auction sells for $50 you have to scratch your head why 4 copies sold so much higher or why put books up for auction.

Prices can be volatile.  Unlike shares of a company stock, which trade thousands of times every business day, comics sell infrequently.  There are many fewer potential buyers.  And not every book has equivalent value, owing to differences in eye appeal, page quality, etc.  Finally, only a subset of prospective buyers is aware that a particular copy is being offered for sale.  That's why GPA data are a guide rather than an expectation, and for books with relatively few people looking to buy it in a given grade the final price realized at auction can vary quite a bit.

Edited by namisgr

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I feel like we are talking about completely different stuff though. You are talking about something like a 9.0 Amazing Spider-Man 135 and I am talking about a 9.0 Chamber of Chills 19. They are both comics, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends market-wise. For scarce, desirable, supply<demand keys or golden age stuff auction is the way to go because it's tough to gauge interest and price correctly. For more readily available, less sought after, silver/bronze/copper run or minor keys (which is basically everything at the price point you mentioned) favor BIN prices and waiting rather than dumping at auction. A lot of guys (myself included) consign less desirable things in the $50-500 price range because they don't want the hassle of listing, waiting, shipping, etc. That works to the advantage of people who have the time and/or desire to list and wait. I'd rather just get rid of a lot of that stuff, even at a 20% GPA haircut, than list and ship it all myself. 

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

This is just flat out incorrect. You are making a very broad statement that just doesn't apply to most of the desirable stuff. The majority of high grade early Silver and anything even remotely key that I track is constantly crushing GPA and setting new records. Yes, your FF 91 in 9.4 is going to go for next to nothing but then again, that is nothing new and has nothing to do with "the volume depressing prices". That kind of stuff just isn't being collected by a lot of people and never really was, which is why it's always been cheap. 

That is why I was referring to stuff in "most focused auctions". Of course the keys and rare stuff will sell high. I wasn't talking about keys, or scarce GA, or pre-code horror. But the SA-BA-CA run books, which is most of the stuff that will go in a focused auction (not the upper crust featured auctions) are going to fall more along the lines of the FF #91 in 9.4 you referenced. Those books can often be had fairly cheaply because each damned focused auction has one. If not a lot of people were collecting them, then who is buying them? You made a very broad statement that just didn't apply to the point I was trying to make.

Edited by mysterio

30 minutes ago, mysterio said:

That is why I was referring to stuff in "most focused auctions". Of course the keys and rare stuff will sell high. I wasn't talking about keys, or scarce GA, or pre-code horror. But the SA-BA-CA run books, which is most of the stuff that will go in a focused auction (not the upper crust featured auctions) are going to fall more along the lines of the FF #91 in 9.4 you referenced. Those books can often be had fairly cheaply because each damned focused auction has one. If not a lot of people were collecting them, then who is buying them? You made a very broad statement that just didn't apply to the point I was trying to make.

The point you were trying to make (I think) is that it is a buyers market in focused auctions. Focused auctions have a lot of key/classic cover/desirable books. Those don't just go into the featured auctions. So yes, the common drek that most people don't care about goes cheap. That is not the same thing as "it's a buyers market in focused auctions" because all of the desirable stuff in the focused auctions (and there is a bunch of it) is most definitely not going for "buyers market prices". Common drek going for cheap is not a function of frequency of auctions, it's a function of it being common drek. Your broad statement was that it's a buyers market in focused auctions, which is not true. What broad statement did I make again that did not relate to that?

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

The point you were trying to make (I think) is that it is a buyers market in focused auctions. Focused auctions have a lot of key/classic cover/desirable books. Those don't just go into the featured auctions. So yes, the common drek that most people don't care about goes cheap. That is not the same thing as "it's a buyers market in focused auctions" because all of the desirable stuff in the focused auctions (and there is a bunch of it) is most definitely not going for "buyers market prices". Common drek going for cheap is not a function of frequency of auctions, it's a function of it being common drek. Your broad statement was that it's a buyers market in focused auctions, which is not true. What broad statement did I make again that did not relate to that?

You're right, I may have overgeneralized my point. But it has been my perception that beyond the early SA in higher grade many of the books in focused auctions will sell relatively cheap. I've had too much success bottom feeding on non-keys in focused auctions to think that there is sustained activity at market values for many books in those auctions. If one is persistent it is quite possible to fill runs for nice prices.

41 minutes ago, mysterio said:

You're right, I may have overgeneralized my point. But it has been my perception that beyond the early SA in higher grade many of the books in focused auctions will sell relatively cheap. I've had too much success bottom feeding on non-keys in focused auctions to think that there is sustained activity at market values for many books in those auctions. If one is persistent it is quite possible to fill runs for nice prices.

It does appear that many non-keys are not moving up as quickly (in terms of %) as their key counterparts.

1 hour ago, Hudson said:
2 hours ago, mysterio said:

It does appear that many non-keys are not moving up as quickly (in terms of %) as their key counterparts.

chumley.jpg

9 minutes ago, Greenlake said:

I bought this thinking it has mostly good color, and I could try to work my way up the grades over time.

Only to get it in today:IMG_8926.thumb.jpg.083d7f94943bac85bc7fa2e859565be4.jpg

Ugh.

I think my ff 48 looks the same. I was a noob, but to someone it may be desirable :foryou: or try not to feel too bad!

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think my ff 48 looks the same. I was a noob, but to someone it may be desirable :foryou: or try not to feel too bad!

Thanks. It's mostly not knowing about it when I was bidding. I might've still taken it, just not at the same price. The front does still have good color in person.

Am I over-thinking it to guess that someone pressed it out that way to make it look better from the front? There's that vertical color break running all the way down the front.

Edited by Greenlake

3 minutes ago, Greenlake said:

Thanks. It's mostly not knowing about it when I was bidding. I might've still taken it, just not at the same price. It still does have good color in person.

Am I over-thinking it to guess that someone pressed it out that way to make it look better from the front? The staples are centered on the spine, and there's that vertical color break running all the way down the front.

A little, but it could have happened...mine wasn't pressed but has the typical 3.5 spine stresses that look bad, but again I'd prefer your kind of 3.5...

Also @Greenlake

I have a 3.5 TOD #10 that I got for cheap way back, and it has the color breaking crease going down the middle of the front cover. :(

So other than the fanning and depending on price paid, it could be worse...

53 minutes ago, Greenlake said:

Thanks. It's mostly not knowing about it when I was bidding. I might've still taken it, just not at the same price. The front does still have good color in person.

Am I over-thinking it to guess that someone pressed it out that way to make it look better from the front? There's that vertical color break running all the way down the front.

Doubt it was pressed as the staples are aligned properly. Bad cut at time of printing would be my guess. The crease you see is simply a readers crease as whoever owned it early on folded the cover over and creased it while reading the book.

12 hours ago, Greenlake said:

I bought this thinking it has mostly good color, and I could try to work my way up the grades over time.

Only to get it in today:IMG_8926.thumb.jpg.083d7f94943bac85bc7fa2e859565be4.jpg

Ugh.

Sorry to see this.  Even as I look at the photo, I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what is going on there.  From the back it looks like the interior pages are separated from the cover and sticking out, but if that were true they'd be visible from the front.  It also looks like a miswrap of some kind, but again the front cover would show that.  The amount of margin around the ad, especially on the left, seems to rule out that the back cover was cut or trimmed.

I've simply never seen this kind of defect -- what do you think is the explanation?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

38 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sorry to see this.  Even as I look at the photo, I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what is going on there.  From the back it looks like the interior pages are separated from the cover and sticking out, but if that were true they'd be visible from the front.  It also looks like a miswrap of some kind, but again the front cover would show that.  The amount of margin around the ad, especially on the left, seems to rule out that the back cover was cut or trimmed.

I've simply never seen this kind of defect -- what do you think is the explanation?

I don’t get it either. hm Regardless of why, I would be pissed.