• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
5 5

597 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Pfft. Man gets infinite respect for one of my all-time favorite covers....

ppssm85.jpg.7de6e8b594069f25e44de54d662daab2.jpg

I dig that cover. Milgrom was a solid comic book creator who could write, pencil, ink and edit.

I hate to see him and other solid pros denigrated, but it is what it is.

Here's a two-fer. Both are Moderns, and they're both hideous in their own special way. 

This one just looks so amateurish, and I'm not a fan of Storm's new look and codename: Horseface.

RtcvKOi.jpg

Then there's this masterpiece... :whatthe:

BWqmx5m.jpg

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

6 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I dig that cover. Milgrom was a solid comic book creator who could write, pencil, ink and edit.

I hate to see him and other solid pros denigrated, but it is what it is.

That's one of his best covers, by far.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

This one just looks so amateurish, and I'm not a fan of Storm's new look and codename: Horseface.

RtcvKOi.jpg

entertainment-clint-eastwood-is-disguste

I'm not sure that cover can be topped. 

Edited by Lucky Baru

Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan of Steranko.  I'm a fan of his art.  I'm a fan of the man himself.  He's terrific.

That said, Captain America 110 is the only cover of his I've seen that I haven't liked, mostly because of the Hulk.

Why is Hulk 25+ feet tall?  Why are each of his eyes looking in different directions?  Why is his right arm coming from his chest?  Is Hulk a hunchback?

This cover drives me nuts.  So many better examples of this artist's work. 

cap110a.jpg

Edited by Turtle
typo

12 hours ago, Turtle said:

Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan of Steranko.  I'm a fan of his art.  I'm a fan of the man himself.  He's terrific.

That said, Captain America 110 is the only cover of his I've seen that I haven't liked, mostly because of the Hulk.

Why is Hulk 25+ feet tall?  Why are each of his eyes looking in different directions?  Why is his right arm coming from his chest?  Is Hulk a hunchback?

cap110a.jpg

Wow, really? I have a copy of this issue 'cause I love the cover, it's so dynamic and striking. SA art to me is much more about sensationalism than proportionally-correct rendering (although Steranko was much better at it than Kirby) and this piece excels in that sense. 

9 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Wow, really? I have a copy of this issue 'cause I love the cover, it's so dynamic and striking. SA art to me is much more about sensationalism than proportionally-correct rendering (although Steranko was much better at it than Kirby) and this piece excels in that sense. 

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I like the cover. Steranko draws a Hulk that looks very feral and threatening.

I can't disagree.  The cover is striking and dynamic...and the Hulk does look very threatening.  But it doesn't change the fact that he's much larger than he should be, his arm is popping out of his front, and he's got a deformed hump on his back.  Add in the fact that he's got 1 eye on Cap and 1 on Bucky and I just can't take this cover seriously.

@Martin Sinescu may have a point about the sensationalism that dominated the era.  It happened a lot with Fantastic Four covers* as shown below.  But this Cap book doesn't make Hulk as tall as a skyscraper looking down at the city streets.  If they were going for over-the-top sensational, they didn't exaggerate the size enough.  Instead, it just comes off as an unfamiliarity with the character; which I know isn't true.  Steranko's King Size Hulk cover is awesome!  The Cap cover just doesn't do it for me. 

*The Fantastic Four covers are only here as reference.  I don't think they're bad covers...I quite like them.  (thumbsu

670621.jpg

f2930d3c0c13cbe7de292a75bcf0c5f6.jpg

Fantastic_Four_vol_1-247_(1982).png

4 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Why is that? It's a direct homage to Neal Adams' X-Men #56 cover. 

Right, except for that butterface.... ugh. If her expression weren't so goofy, it really would've been a really cool "After Adams" (when did artists start that tip of the cap anyway?). but I can't get over how horribly silly her face is. This is one of those covers that haunted me when I went to the LCS and almost single-handedly kept me away from X-Men for years, along with #185, which I remember seeing on the spinner rack in Kroger...

675307.jpg.e18a43b6cbd97143f6baed8f10fd1087.jpg

I'm not saying this cover is an entry as a horrible work, just saying this added to my overall view of X-Men as a book with unsettling, demented characters.

On ‎2018‎/‎01‎/‎17 at 10:47 AM, Marwood & I said:

It's probably shallow of me, but I've never been able to read a comic with bad art. Bad art kills great story for me. Great art elevates bad story. That's the way it has always been for me. Comics are a visual medium though, so maybe it makes some sense.

I have always detested McFarlane's art. I can see the skill and competence that others laud, but I just hate the end product. Ditto Byrne, although for different reasons. It's personal taste. My brain is hardwired to dislike it. My gut reaction is 'yuck'. I can't help it. It's similar with music, films etc.

So, Mr (ex) Spidey completist here, who has owned 8,000 Spidey books and pretty much had everything ever in his time, has never read a McFarlane run ASM book. Ditto Byrne. 

Being one of lifes 'lucky' types, which is why I probably gravitated to early Parker in the first place, if I entered a pub quiz on Spider-Man it would probably be full of McFarlane and Byrne run questions. So I'd score zero, and all my mates would laugh and say "Completist! You don't know jack sheet about Spider-Man". Except I don't go to pubs. And have no mates.

I'll get me coat. :sorry:

I am the same. No matter how great the story may be I can't get into it if the visual side of it isn't appealing to me.

On ‎2018‎/‎01‎/‎18 at 12:55 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Here's a two-fer. Both are Moderns, and they're both hideous in their own special way. 

RtcvKOi.jpg

BWqmx5m.jpg

these are actual published Marvel comics?????

Wow, just ...awful.

On ‎2018‎/‎01‎/‎18 at 8:15 AM, Turtle said:

cap110a.jpg

terrible proportions and anatomy.

But a very dynamic action packed cover nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

That XMen Gold has to be some homage to the little-kid-drawing-their-favorite-heroes drawings that they probably get in the mail all the time.

That's what I'm thinking.  There's got to be a story behind that cover. 

On 1/17/2018 at 6:09 PM, HarrisonJohn said:

I'm always shocked at how bad this is;

MarvelTeamUp117.jpg

Apparently they're trying to give us perspective, yet the only takeaway I get is that Wolverine has poor circulation on his left arm and leg resulting in serious swelling and that Spider-Man needs to layoff the Cheetos and go to the gym.

Edited by JazzMan

On 1/17/2018 at 11:55 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

RtcvKOi.jpg

I thought you were clowning around with this cover and then I researched it.  How in the world did this actually make it to market?  :whatthe:

On 1/17/2018 at 8:55 PM, Von Cichlid said:

All of that, and I'll bet that Human Torch jacket has lots of pouches.

Ha, I just noticed that one, good eye. Why on earth would the Torch need a jacket. Is there a danger he might get chilly?