• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

You forgot about the Clink 3% buyer's premium which in this case brings the total here to ~ 7,875 before shipping cost.

Still a little on the low side however but majority of auctions end up on the low side. Too many professional bidders out there. Anyone auctioning this book is taking a bad gamble

Edit: the buyer premium only applies to CC payments. Assuming they paid by check you'd be right

I'm being honest here in saying I'm not sure I follow you. Not the smartest guy around here. I admit that. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I'm being honest here in saying I'm not sure I follow you. Not the smartest guy around here. I admit that. 

It means that there are too many savvy experienced bidders out there and that auctioning off a 181 is an unnecessary gamble when you can put a high but reasonable BIN price and sell it that way with some some patience.

There was an auction of a 9.6 on pedigree comics earlier this year that ended in a disastrous 5k range. That was way way under market value at the time. That's just one example but imo it's just an unnecessary gamble to auction off an IH 181

Check that, the pedigree was an inventory sale not an auction. I think that you'll have a better shot at a high price sale from a bin listing as opposed to an auction

Edited by MGsimba77

31 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

It means that there are too many savvy experienced bidders out there and that auctioning off a 181 is an unnecessary gamble when you can put a high but reasonable BIN price and sell it that way with some some patience.

There was an auction of a 9.6 on pedigree comics earlier this year that ended in a disastrous 5k range. That was way way under market value at the time. That's just one example but imo it's just an unnecessary gamble to auction off an IH 181

thanks. wonder why the disastrous 5k sale happened? I'd think auctioning is the way to find the bidders with cash. What do I know? Not much. 

I miss Grebal if you're out there somewhere. hasn't been the same around here. having kinda a bummer fall and it's prolly gonna be a worse winter.  signing off...

Edited by NoMan

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

thanks. wonder why the disastrous 5k sale happened? I'd think auctioning is the way to find the bidders with cash. What do I know? Not much. 

I miss Grebal if you're out there somewhere. hasn't been the same around here. having kinda a bummer fall and it's prolly gonna be a worse winter. 

No I edited the response. It was an inventory sale of 5k. Not an auction. My preference for bins still applies though. There are some charitable sellers out there from time to time. I just wish I'd come across one at some point

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Did you think Wolverine was a big deal after you finished story? (I assume you read it.)

Nope, back in that summer of '74 Wolvie was just was another dude with some cool powers. He didn't really catch on for me until the new X-Men came about.  They were huge essentially right away.

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Nope, back in that summer of '74 Wolvie was just was another dude with some cool powers. He didn't really catch on for me until the new X-Men came about.  They were huge essentially right away.

Yep, we've talked about this before. I bought two copies off the rack, but not because of Wolvie. I was buying two of every major title at that time, in part because I was living in a college dorm at the time and had to have one reading copy and one stashed copy.  The reading copies often got trashed, but my reading copy was eventually graded 8.0 or 8.5 Q (MVS missing). lol

4 minutes ago, Concorde said:

Sold my CGC 9.6 copy for $2850 in the early 2000's.  Doh!!

Hulk_181.jpg.8463fbdebd5f3b98809f6fb3798f05e8.jpg

Is that my OO copy? We made the deal at the Wells Fargo in Mill Valley? hm

Edited by divad

13 hours ago, 360racer said:

I paid top dollar for my 9.8 which happens to be off-white-white. I didn’t care, I just wanted a copy in 9.8 and that was the only one closest to me. At the time (April this year) it was this years high, until one sold for $31k only recently.

Congrats! If there was a similar white-paged copy available for the same price, would you have purchased it instead?

5 hours ago, drbanner said:

Congrats! If there was a similar white-paged copy available for the same price, would you have purchased it instead?

Honestly speaking, I never cared or knew about preferring white over off white etc. I just wanted a 9.8 and that was it, did what it took just to get my hands on one as they rarely come up. Happy with my purchase and I won’t be changing it to a full white copy, finally made it.

21 hours ago, NoMan said:

Did you think Wolverine was a big deal after you finished story? (I assume you read it.)

19 hours ago, namisgr said:

I remember reading once that Romita thought a wolverine was a "female wolf" when he was asked to design the character back in the day.

Hard to believe but they originally intended to limit the character to thos 3 Hulk issues. Roy Thomas decided to include him in the revamped X-Men only after being cought off guard by how well received he was. Good call

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm a little disappointed in the latest sales. Not so much the 3.0, more that 4.5... 

45 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

happened at 7.0 as well.

Not sure if it means anything, we will have to wait a few more months

Charitable sellers. They do happen. That last 9.4 sale was absurd right after 2 all time highs

On 9/25/2018 at 4:00 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

it's legit! i am the seller. the first sale was a buy it now by some insufficiently_thoughtful_person who then told me he clicked buy it now by accident. this was a real sale and the buyer has paid me by e-check. so i am waiting for it to clear, but i have been in contact with him and as far as i can tell it should go through. if it does not go through i will update you guys here. i already emailed GPA and had them remove the non-sale from last week. if this goes through, this will be a record price for this book in 9.0. hence, the reason i accepted the offer! and it also attests to the significance of white pages to many buyers. there are copies available for a good deal less in the same grade, but without the WP designation. 

just wanted to update everyone, my 9.0 WP ebay $7500 sale has cleared. the e-check took time to go through, but paypal tells me it has cleared, meaning this sale is legit. with the 9.2 ending for barely more than this the other day, i feel fortunate to have gotten this price. i'm looking to put this into other key books that i still need. 

10 hours ago, kimik said:

Prices are going to be all over on this book now through the end of the year due to the seasonality we tend to see with comic sales. 

What is the annual cycle for comics? I’ve noticed some upswing during tax season, but unaware of other trends...holiday season is low?

43 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

What is the annual cycle for comics? I’ve noticed some upswing during tax season, but unaware of other trends...holiday season is low?

There tends to be a dip at the end of the year after con season ends and before Christmas, then again in late January/early February when Christmas cc bills come due. 

That being said, the gains in non-movie fueled books tend to happen once the spring con season starts up and runs through October. You can generally follow the buy in November through end of February and sell in the summer/early fall play for a profit each year.