• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Pantodude said:

HAHA!   I didn't realize!  That is COOOOOOL!   

sure lol it differs, if I'm on my tablet I can zoom into the post count easier than laptop :foryou: no harm no foul :) it's an easy miss...

8 hours ago, drotto said:

It seems reasonable that prices may fall back 10% or even 20%, but I think it is unlikely to be completely erased.

I would definitely agree with you about gains not being completely erased because I have not seen a single example of this to date so far.  (thumbsu

On the other hand, I believe some of the drops from their peaks have been by clearly more than 10% and quite likely by even more than 20%.  MSH 13 being the perfect example and possibly also some of the Guardians of the Galaxy related books.  From a GA point of view, I have also heard of drops for More Fun 73 along with the key Wonder Woman issues.  (shrug)

From a long time collectors point of view though, time tends to heal everything and this definitely includes purchasing mistakes whether they be from over paying for them, over grading, or hidden slight restoration.  hm  :applause:

1 minute ago, drotto said:

My first lesson in collecting was buy only what you can afford, and expect to get stuck with it.

My lesson in collecting comic books is to buy what you like and enjoy as you are most likely going to be stuck holding it, and if it happens to go up in value, that's just an extra bonus.  (thumbsu

And needless to say, the exact reason why I handed that TMNT 1 back to the LCS owner as fast as I could after he said that he could order me a copy direct from the publisher for only $300.  He must have been out of his mind if he thought I was looney enough to pay him $300 for a fugly doggy doo doo looking POS book that I wouldn't even want for $3, let along 300 big ones.  :fear:  doh!   lol

15 minutes ago, makeminemarvel said:

when I go to eBay sold listings, the 6.5 Hulk 181 has 7,999 crossed out and indicates best off accepted.

Tried listing the page source and searching for "TaxEx" to see the accepted price but nothing found.

38 minutes ago, csaag said:

when I go to eBay sold listings, the 6.5 Hulk 181 has 7,999 crossed out and indicates best off accepted.

Tried listing the page source and searching for "TaxEx" to see the accepted price but nothing found.

Make sure you click on "View original listing" first.  If you try the taxEx trick on the summary page, it won't work.

8 hours ago, cujobyte said:

Wow to think i overpaid for my 6.5 plus a copy of FF49 for $2200. 

I also have a 6.5.  I bought it, a 2.5 FF1, and a 7.0 ASM 101 for $8,000 in January of 2019 from a Craigslist purchase.  Met at a local police station to complete the transaction!  They are the only 3 graded comics I own.

Edited by makeminemarvel

31 minutes ago, makeminemarvel said:

I also have a 6.5.  I bought it, a 2.5 FF1, and a 7.0 ASM 101 for $8,000 in January of 2019 from a Craigslist purchase.  Met at a local police station to complete the transaction!  They are the only 3 graded comics I own.

I would say you did pretty good with that one! 

3 hours ago, Bludriver said:

A Hulk 180 graded at 7.0 just sold for $2,300 on ebay in auction. That is just crazy. For that money you could have picked up a 9.4 a few months ago.

I guess both 180 & 181 are red hot now.

In February of ‘19 I bought a 9.4 copy of 180 from Roy for $850 and thought I was over paying at the time, but wanted his very first appearance...I already had a 9.2 181...as usual, from Roy, it is an exceptional copy but would have never guessed it would skyrocket like this...I’ve downsized to just 5 comics from 8 long boxes in the last few months...these are two of my keepers but with these prices I may be tempted to sell...

DD84C67C-3EB0-495C-8A96-923AB3C49026.thumb.jpeg.26f003d8d97d52d9aa130a80dcbb62a7.jpeg