• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a year too long for my book to be delivered from Paradise Comics?
7 7

852 posts in this topic

To be clear, people have their invoice numbers. It's just the fact that it was subbed through Paradise, that technically, the "name" of the account is Paradise, not us. So CGC will not give out any information on status to anyone other than a Paradise rep (even though they're your books).

25 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

To be clear, people have their invoice numbers. It's just the fact that it was subbed through Paradise, that technically, the "name" of the account is Paradise, not us. So CGC will not give out any information on status to anyone other than a Paradise rep (even though they're your books).

I submit through a facilitator for SS periodically, you call cgc say I'd like to look up an invoice, give them the invoice number and they tell you.....

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I submit through a facilitator for SS periodically, you call cgc say I'd like to look up an invoice, give them the invoice number and they tell you.....

I take it back. Are you saying your name is no where on the invoice? that doesn't make sense....

When Paradise Comics gets the books back, how do they know who's they are?

28 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I take it back. Are you saying your name is no where on the invoice? that doesn't make sense....

I think it says Paradise Comics c/o Customer Name, and they include customer's e-mail address so they know how to reach you.

When you submit through a facilitator, to be clear, the facilitator is submitting on your behalf, but the book gets sent directly to you right? If so, I can see why CGC may be more willing to give you the info... But in this situation, like a few others has said, I can see why CGC might be more hesitant to just give out the info given it's under Paradise's account and books are being sent to the store, and then they call the customer.

Anyways, clearly there's something going on with Paradise. I think it's a reasonable concern that they may be having some financial issues post-renovation, and might be tight from a cashflow perspective (and thus, books are being held by CGC, graded or ungraded, until Paradise goes current on payments). However, if Paradise wants to continue doing business with people, they really need to provide more information to their customers on the reason for the delay. Especially if they're posting pictures on social media of new books being sent off for grading!

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is HUGE.  2 customers submit the same book -- how does Paradise know who submitted what when the books come back in??  My experience is bang on with @ADAMANTIUM - facilitator gives you the invoice #, you can call and get full status on books.    The more we hear, the more odd this sounds.  I know I'd have doubts that the book I was being given back (if and when I ever got it back...) was actually the one I submitted in this scenario.  Wow.

4 minutes ago, roach04 said:

This is HUGE.  2 customers submit the same book -- how does Paradise know who submitted what when the books come back in??  My experience is bang on with @ADAMANTIUM - facilitator gives you the invoice #, you can call and get full status on books.    The more we hear, the more odd this sounds.  I know I'd have doubts that the book I was being given back (if and when I ever got it back...) was actually the one I submitted in this scenario.  Wow.

I agree and I had this question before. I think the way they'd do it is based on invoice - when books are returned, they're grouped by invoice so all of your books would be together (ie. not like all the books get intermingled with others). When I've subbed multiple invoices at cons (ie. SS and Blue Label), but had both ship together, the books have always been grouped by invoice (with copy of the invoice slipped into the top book).

Now this does not include risk if the company subs the same book themselves and does a switcheroo for the higher graded version - nothing you can do there but trust it doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, CKinTO said:

I think it says Paradise Comics c/o Customer Name, and they include customer's e-mail address so they know how to reach you.

When you submit through a facilitator, to be clear, the facilitator is submitting on your behalf, but the book gets sent directly to you right? If so, I can see why CGC may be more willing to give you the info... But in this situation, like a few others has said, I can see why CGC might be more hesitant to just give out the info given it's under Paradise's account and books are being sent to the store, and then they call the customer.

Anyways, clearly there's something going on with Paradise. I think it's a reasonable concern that they may be having some financial issues post-renovation, and might be tight from a cashflow perspective (and thus, books are being held by CGC, graded or ungraded, until Paradise goes current on payments). However, if Paradise wants to continue doing business with people, they really need to provide more information to their customers on the reason for the delay. Especially if they're posting pictures on social media of new books being sent off for grading!

Interesting (thumbsu I too submit through a LCS. The owner is pretty good about getting books back, so I've never had to call cgc because of it. He takes my name, phone, and email too. I don't think that I've ever watched him fill out the invoice, bit I've had him look for it by my name...seems you could get your name in it even if it's not sent to your doorstep... just fyi for the future :foryou:

Maybe it would help when calling cgc is what I mean...

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Interesting (thumbsu I too submit through a LCS. The owner is pretty good about getting books back, so I've never had to call cgc because of it. He takes my name, phone, and email too. I don't think that I've ever watched him fill out the invoice, bit I've had him look for it by my name...seems you could get your name in it even if it's not sent to your doorstep... just fyi for the future :foryou:

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Fees are available online. https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/

I can't speak to it personally, but others on here can as to different pricing for dealers.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Fees are available online. https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/

I can't speak to it personally, but others on here can as to different pricing for dealers.

Fees were roughly the same after conversion. I also have to pay for shipping though, $7 CAD each way.

33 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

I agree and I had this question before. I think the way they'd do it is based on invoice - when books are returned, they're grouped by invoice so all of your books would be together (ie. not like all the books get intermingled with others). When I've subbed multiple invoices at cons (ie. SS and Blue Label), but had both ship together, the books have always been grouped by invoice (with copy of the invoice slipped into the top book).

Now this does not include risk if the company subs the same book themselves and does a switcheroo for the higher graded version - nothing you can do there but trust it doesn't happen.

I ensure this doesn't happen by only submitting books that no one else would possibly want.

So I guess the safest thing to do is to join CGC and submit them yourself.

I recently joined the "Premium" tier for $149.

I get $150 credit with CGC, so it is a wash just from that (as long as I submit that much).

Also get free grader notes and 10% off.

So why does anyone risk a 3rd party where you can't even get info about your submissions?

25 minutes ago, icefires said:

So I guess the safest thing to do is to join CGC and submit them yourself.

I recently joined the "Premium" tier for $149.

I get $150 credit with CGC, so it is a wash just from that (as long as I submit that much).

Also get free grader notes and 10% off.

So why does anyone risk a 3rd party where you can't even get info about your submissions?

I think some people initially just want to test it out and send in like 1 or 2 books. And/or they're a bit tepid/unsure so they feel more comfortable initially going with a trusted comic book store.  And then they like it, but have gotten used the process.  Especially in the case of internationals, where you'd rather not think about the international shipping/customs both ways.

So why does anyone risk a 3rd party where you can't even get info about your submissions?”

Its very difficult to submit to CGC signature series at Cons via your own account unless CGC has a booth there.  Paradise can get signatures at the cons they go to since they have witnesses on hand.  That’s why I go through them.  If I was just getting books slabbed I would use my own account.

10 hours ago, CKinTO said:

While I understand the privacy concerns, if it is true as someone said earlier that CGC will withold books from dealers without payment, what the heck is the point of having 'authorized dealers'?  CGC will hold your books because their authorized dealer doesn't pay, but also will not tell you where your books are even though they authorized the dealer?  Paradise is obviously the one who effed up here, but if the above is true about how CGC operates, that is pretty not cool on CGC's part.  Your books are trapped because you chose to send to a dealer CGC authorized to collect from and now they will not only hold them but not tell you? ¬¬

7 hours ago, Zevgoli said:

So why does anyone risk a 3rd party where you can't even get info about your submissions?”

Its very difficult to submit to CGC signature series at Cons via your own account unless CGC has a booth there.  Paradise can get signatures at the cons they go to since they have witnesses on hand.  That’s why I go through them.  If I was just getting books slabbed I would use my own account.

Good point.

Since I do not do signatures, having my own account works best for me.

10 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

While I understand the privacy concerns, if it is true as someone said earlier that CGC will withold books from dealers without payment, what the heck is the point of having 'authorized dealers'?  CGC will hold your books because their authorized dealer doesn't pay, but also will not tell you where your books are even though they authorized the dealer?  Paradise is obviously the one who effed up here, but if the above is true about how CGC operates, that is pretty not cool on CGC's part.  Your books are trapped because you chose to send to a dealer CGC authorized to collect from and now they will not only hold them but not tell you? ¬¬

Exactly my point. I didn’t want to know the grades of the books, all I wanted to know is if they had even been graded yet, given they’ve been there 10 months. Absolutely horrible, horrible customer service..and that was from a supervisor. 

Edited by DonSal1976