• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$3.99 Newsstand: What If Venom Possessed Deadpool?

15 posts in this topic

Just picked up the newsstand of ‘What If Venom Possessed Deadpool?’ and I can’t find any sales history at all.

Anyone seen one sell before?

There’s lots of great research on this issue by Benjamin Nobel but none regarding sales.

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/what-if-venom-possessed-deadpool-what-if-there-was-a-rare-cover-price-variant/

ADDC1F8E-DA30-4FAA-8634-CCF7212E248F.thumb.png.9dc3386111d2037480d6a99661ce0dd8.png

7 on the census so they are out there...

4C568475-0C4D-4AAA-BBCF-B66A1B6589F8.thumb.jpeg.1ac9ebb1417e90e60aa8cc70ef8a35fd.jpeg

Edited by Carl Elvis

8 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Agreed, hopefully it starts to happen more so we can get a sense of print runs. 

Currently these newsstands are about 1.5% of the total 531 graded.

4 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

CGC will recognize any newsie with a different price tag than a DE.

Yes, but how consistent have these been recognized by the graders?  I'm willing to bet that a number of these 524 graded copies are actually Newsstand editions, and that there are much more than just 7 graded.  Unfortunately there's no way to tell, but I know this has happened with a lot of other books too.

48 minutes ago, Carl Elvis said:

Good point, I’m sure we’ll see a few of those pop up over time.

Nobel’s article estimates a print run around 400-900 with a 10% survival rate so it’ll be interesting to see how many actually make it onto the census.

What's this now?

5 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Agreed, hopefully it starts to happen more so we can get a sense of print runs.

You can't. The CGC census is, and will always be, unable to tell us anything about the total numbers.

The only time the census tells us anything about print runs is when there are more copies graded than the number that people toss around as the supposed print run, and even that isn't perfect due to resubs. And that is also less about print runs than it is about people's ignorance and stupidity.

53 minutes ago, Carl Elvis said:

Nobel’s article estimates a print run around 400-900 with a 10% survival rate so it’ll be interesting to see how many actually make it onto the census.

Do you believe the :censored: he writes? If so, why?

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

What's this now?

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/what-if-venom-possessed-deadpool-what-if-there-was-a-rare-cover-price-variant/

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

You can't. The CGC census is, and will always be, unable to tell us anything about the total numbers.

The only time the census tells us anything about print runs is when there are more copies graded than the number that people toss around as the supposed print run, and even that isn't perfect due to resubs. And that is also less about print runs than it is about people's ignorance and stupidity.

Do you believe the :censored: he writes? If so, why?

Well it’s clear he’s dedicated more time to this than I ever could and he’s clear about how he calculates his ranges and how those estimates could be wrong. 

Yes we’ll never know how many copies are out there, but at least there’s *some* sort of official count going on.

Edited by Carl Elvis

5 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Well it’s clear he’s dedicated more time to this than I ever could and he’s clear about how he calculates his ranges and how those estimates could be wrong. 

Yes we’ll never know how many copies are out there, but at least there’s *some* sort of official count going on.

Oh, um...no thank you.

Edited by ygogolak

7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

You definitely have a rare copy that is a tough find.

Never understood why the 4 book set doesn't sell for more.

It shouldn't sell for more than cover price. Yet it does.

Original way to mash up characters?

Hi - Just got a nice newsstand copy myself at a garage sale which i will probably get graded soon. That being said, i cannot find a value on this anywhere. If you have an idea, let me know.

Thanks, Rick

On 1/27/2018 at 12:55 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

Yes, but how consistent have these been recognized by the graders?  I'm willing to bet that a number of these 524 graded copies are actually Newsstand editions, and that there are much more than just 7 graded.  Unfortunately there's no way to tell, but I know this has happened with a lot of other books too.

In addition to the issue of consistent and proper labeling, the question is: when did CGC decide to acknowledge the different editions?

1 hour ago, Rick1014 said:

Hi - Just got a nice newsstand copy myself at a garage sale which i will probably get graded soon. That being said, i cannot find a value on this anywhere. If you have an idea, let me know.

Thanks, Rick

The value is whatever you can convince some sucker to pay for it. Hopefully without misleading them with ridiculous numbers, assumptions, and conclusions.

On 1/27/2018 at 4:48 PM, Carl Elvis said:

Time dedication is not an indication of quality. His estimates are based on nothing but hunches. He literally is pulling numbers out of thin air. YOUR estimates are just as good as his. So are my mom's.