• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats a GA book everyone wants, that means noting to you?
6 6

200 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, catman76 said:

the first ones I thought of were the "log" issue of Gunsmoke or whatever it is and the Archie "beat off" cover. I absolutely hate that those are popular at all and people make a big deal out of them.

The fact that those two covers make you so uncomfortable makes me like them even more. Would you like me to "post" them again?

4 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

Cool thing about this post it has me looking up some of the books and prices and all I can say is god bless the guys who are paying that kind of money for some of the top Romance books ahhhhhhhhhhh why? why?   I know this is politically incorrect ( I am old so I can get away with it sometimes) but to me they will always be girls comics. Could you imagine going with your dad down to the local newstand and asking for the new issue of Sweethearts back in 19 whatever.

I also wonder in this niche market do these books have long term investment growth as some of them bring real money? ( just asking?)

NOTE:   This post is NOT a swipe on anyone or what they like to collect.  Just fun & seriously enjoy what you enjoy collecting.

I never cared for romance comics when I was 12. But I matured. There is so much undiscovered history in the romance genre. So many creators got their start there. So many publishers survived because of the profits from specifically romance. And yes Sharon, some of us do read them. A lot of repetition, but worth it when you find that gem. And those gems are bringing the big bucks. If you really want to learn why? go check out the Rarest Romance thread and read some of Dr. Love's posts. Or go check Craig Yoe's Weird Romance reprint series. There really is some magnificent stuff in the romance books that is better appreciated by grown-ups.:baiting:

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I never cared for romance comics when I was 12. But I matured. There is so much undiscovered history in the romance genre. So many creators got their start there. So many publishers survived because of the profits from specifically romance. And yes Sharon, some of us do read them. A lot of repetition, but worth it when you find that gem. And those gems are bringing the big bucks. If you really want to learn why? go check out the Rarest Romance thread and read some of Dr. Love's posts. Or go check Craig Yoe's Weird Romance reprint series. There really is some magnificent stuff in the romance books that is better appreciated by grown-ups.:baiting:

That's because YOU are a romantic at heart, Richard;) which is sweet....Besides, this is just about what is hot that you don't like;) 

I strongly resented the fact that those were the "girl comics" I was supposed to be reading, lol...I only liked the people who could fly for the most part. My first love was GL, he could fly AND he had jewelry;) 

Don't get me started on Spidey, or I'll get stoned (and not the 60's type of "stoned";) 

4 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Any romance book with a photo cover...

...is fabulous. 

On 2/2/2018 at 6:00 AM, N e r V said:

Detective Comics #62 and #71. 

Detective comics #69 I totally get the price on but those other 2 books just because the Jokers on the cover doesn’t make them great. Neither are bad by any stretch but where as the Joker imposing himself with twin guns works for me the Joker wielding balloons or dropping calendar sheets not so much.

(thumbsu

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Oh please, if any of us had read that dreck at age 12 we would have had our butts handed to us in the schoolyards. There was a pretty good reason we didn’t read romance comics back then. :makepoint:

Today? Yeah I’m really sure everyone over at the Baker thread is reading their books. Just like I’m sure everyone else buying “romance” comics is buying them just to read their stories. :eyeroll:

You’ve convinced yourself that there is some higher road to reason why you are buying “romance” comics. You are no different than the countless saps who claimed they were  actually reading Playboy and others for their articles or artistic merits and not for the “dirty” pictures in it.

You are in denial sir. :facepalm:

You should listen to your inner self and rejoice in the adult perversion of buying those “romance” comics for what they are. 

T&A. 

Boobs in this market are clearly the premium. 

So you can sit there and say all you want to about how great Mr. Matt Baker is as a artist or how well he could draw things when the reality is you are buying a sex driven market and Matt Baker is the king of boob drawing.

But you were right though when you said there are some magnificent boob drawings in the romance books that adults can appreciate...(thumbsu

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

... butts... ... read romance comics... :makepoint:

... buying “romance” comics..buying... :eyeroll:

... buying “romance” comics. ...“dirty” pictures...

... :facepalm:

... the adult perversion...buying“romance” comics ... 

T&A. 

Boobs... 

... sex... boob drawing.

... magnificent boob drawings ....(thumbsu

romantichearts(2nd)9.jpg

4 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Well If you’re into that kind of thing, Mr. Bedrock... O.o

E96F6E57-7ABF-4A7D-873F-3176F57B07A3.thumb.jpeg.b76546bf976fc462a37e04124a6541c0.jpegF9CD5D23-B33F-46D9-B454-DD28809A3C62.thumb.jpeg.cd59b15cc1080ae9b89d305e2a95f577.jpegBCBAFE95-C5BC-4759-91E9-D6E86AC3BA80.jpeg.c56f0ed7911963fbc1c423ae4ffbe5ab.jpeg

Guess I know where you spend your weekends.... :baiting:

Please!

Put stuff like that in a NSFW spoiler tag, so that it doesn't look like I am looking at scantily clad chicks while I AM AT WORK simply because I am viewing a comic book thread!

Edited by Artboy99

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

Please!

Put stuff like that in a NSFW spoiler tag, so that it doesn't look like I am looking at scantily clad chicks while I AM AT WORK simply because I am viewing a comic book thread!

Um, that’s not really scantily clad in So-Cal here...

Just now, Artboy99 said:

I just wish I was looking at something else while I am eating my lunch as my boss walked by.

Just tell them you are looking at the CGC forum for its artistic merits in posting and not for the dirty pictures. :idea:

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

romantichearts(2nd)9.jpg

I’m kind of surprised some eagle eyed comics fanboy hasn’t tried to mention that this is a drug use cover based on the dialogue and how people like to read things into everything...

20 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I never liked Romance books. When I was a kid, if that was all that was left in the store, I'd leave. I liked Blackhawk better than Romance, any I've gotten in lots, I promptly gave away.

There is something about those posed women in tight sweaters that just screamed "PLEASE GO TO SCHOOL" to me;) and the stories..well, I guess  you guys aren't reading many of the stories, so scratch that;) 

@29dukedog will probably say I'm aping John Benson with this remark (and, admittedly, I only started reading the stories after reading Benson's assessment of them), but Dana Dutch's stories for the St John romance books are about as good as any comic books stories in any genre. 

10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I'm with you.  I think I've mentioned before that I honestly can't even remember seeing a romance book on the newsstands in the 1960s and early 1970s, even though they obviously must have been there.  That's how little attention I paid to them.  Until I came to these boards, I had never encountered anyone who collected romance books and I had barely heard of Matt Baker.

As noted in my post above, some pre-code romance books actually have pretty decent (and sometimes indecent!) stories. 

And finally, let's be honest, the vast majority of comic book stories across all genres are somewhere between barely tolerable hack work and unreadable drek.  For the most part, it's the art rather than the stories that attract us and, in these days of slabbed books, it's mainly the cover art.  Was there a better cover artist in any genre in the early 1950s than Matt Baker? You could argue for, say, Frazetta's Buck Rogers Famous Funnies covers, but Frazetta's comic book output was pretty low.  I would take Baker over Feldstein, Wood, or the other EC artists.  

In the mid-to-late 1950s, I would take Colletta's Atlas romance covers over anything that the other Atlas artists or the DC artists were doing in any genre. 

Edited by Sqeggs