• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Arguing with people on Craigslist (or Kijiji)
3 3

35 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2018 at 7:53 AM, Artboy99 said:

I did recently talk to a guy who listed his entire collection for sale on Kijiji. His listing had a picture of a Hulk 181, not disclosing the MVS is missing of course. The entire valuation was what the Hulk 181 would be priced at if it had the stamp. The pictures were of longboxes with some books pulled up slightly so you can see what is there. Some keys, Xmen 266, Xmen 244, etc.

The price was $2.95 per book take it all. It was about 10 longs.

Once I contacted him I quickly learned the Hulk 181 was no longer part of the deal as he had promised it to someone else. The price of $2.95 per book still stands. I started to explained to him that without the Hulk 181 his valuation is to high as Deathmate isn't a $2.95 book. He got very hostile, accused me of being a dealer and he said he has no interest in doing business with any dealers who are just going to rip him off. I told him that if the Hulk 181 is no longer part of the deal he needs to remove the pictures he prominently displayed as he is misleading his potential buyers. He responded with more hostility so I just said "ok, good luck" and said goodbye. No need to waste time.

Who does he expect to buy 10 longboxes of random comics if not dealers? No casual reader needs 10 longboxes of random stuff, half of which they probably don't have an interest in.

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Who does he expect to buy 10 longboxes of random comics if not dealers? No casual reader needs 10 longboxes of random stuff, half of which they probably don't have an interest in.

He expects a wealthy industrialist named Pennypacker will come to his home and purchase his comics for copious volumes of cash and take them away lovingly.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎16 at 6:27 PM, Artboy99 said:

He expects a wealthy industrialist named Pennypacker will come to his home and purchase his comics for copious volumes of cash and take them away lovingly.

There is an individual (Fine collector might be referring to him) that has a collection of 24 comic longs for 5k (he came way down off his 10k+ ask) that thinks someone will buy it for their family to read.....ya, because families typically spend 5k on books for their family to read :p

The ad (and correspondence I had with him) is quite funny to read, it definitely takes the cake for best interaction I've had with someone.  

Always an interesting assortment of stuff for sale on CL and other similar sites.  Most of it overpriced, but you can find the occaisional key for a reasonable price.   My best purchases have been from posting wanted adds for comics.   95% of the calls are for modern filler that the buyer wants a lot for.    Another annoyance is someone sending an email like "I have this book, what would you give me for it?" No photos, no details on grade, nothing.  Every once in a while you get a decent collection of bronze or silver books, that the seller accepts a fair offer for and you still have some room for sale of said items if you choose to do that.

Its a lot of work though, and you realize quickly that selling off non keys in mid grade or lower is not a task for the faint of heart.  Like most money making ventures, it is not exclusive of hard work and patience.

I've not been on Craiglist in a long time and its good to see things have not changed based on a quick local search for comic books.  There is 2x more people with ads looking for collections and the rest are all 90s books that have no value.  I tried to make a purchase awhile back but you literally have to see the ad within minutes of it being posted to have a chance at the killer finds. 

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I've not been on Craiglist in a long time and its good to see things have not changed based on a quick local search for comic books.  There is 2x more people with ads looking for collections and the rest are all 90s books that have no value.  I tried to make a purchase awhile back but you literally have to see the ad within minutes of it being posted to have a chance at the killer finds. 

+1

The last good buy I made was an ad I saw just as I finished work, 2 hours after the lot was posted.  Someone was selling a stack of Treasuries at $5 each, including a Superman vs. Spider-Man.  I figured I was out of luck, but emailed to say I'd pay full price and pick up right away.  He replied and told me where to meet.  Says he got a few responses, but everyone wanted a discount, and was holding off for someone to pay full price.  They weren't Mint, but they were mid-grade or better, right in my wheelhouse.  At $5 each, it was a steal, and he knew it.

Why bother arguing... the price is the price and the seller does not want to negotiate. 

I just take my money and go elsewhere.

On the flip side, I have been told my prices for things I sell are on the higher end of the spectrum.  I simply reply that at the moment in time I am comfortable with the price point that I have set for this particular item.  Then that is that.  If it sells then it sells, if not then it stays. 

Edited by Buzzetta

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Why bother arguing... the price is the price and the seller does not want to negotiate. 

On the flip side, I have been told my prices for things I sell are on the higher end of the spectrum.  I simply reply that at the moment in time I am comfortable with the price point that I have set for this particular item.  Then that is that.  If it sells then it sells, if not then it stays

You must have a lot of staying power.

4 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

You must have a lot of staying power.

Insert crude, "That's what she said." meme here.

For the most part everything I have ever listed has sold.  Eventually the market catches up to what I want for an item or someone realizes that I am the only guy that has something and will meet my price.  

For example, people thought I was insane with what I was asking for my 9.4 copy of ASM 300.  I refused to budge.  Eventually the market reached a point where someone met my ask price.

2nd example, someone wrote me non stop about an Animaniacs watch that no one on eBay had.  My copy had a dead battery and replaced wristband.  I wanted $30 for it.  This guy sent me two messages a month offering me $10 for it.  I refused.  He then went to $15.  I refused.  It wasn't taking up any space and wasn't going to make or break me.  Eventually someone else bought it for the $30 + shipping ask. 

Woman on Saturday night wanted a piece of jewelry i was offering.  I had discounted it from $95 to $87.40. (8% eBay sale across the board)  She wrote me and offered me $79.  Here is a screen shot of my response.  She bought it after this message. 

Point is... those are the prices... enough sells that it justifies my leaving everything else up there and doing this.  This is not counted as a source of income.  I have a full time job.  This is more of a side hobby or thing for me.  It is a way to free up some space and cash so I can chase other things.  When the items sell... they sell.   

In fact as I write this I know for a fact that I have pointed people toward other listings because I knew I would not meet the price.  I have a book for $300.  Someone offers to buy it $250.  I decline but point them in the direction to someone that DOES have the book for $250.  That guy is the only guy that has it less than me.  That book is sold.  Now if someone wants a copy they can either wait for that book to appear or they will pay my ask.  

You can ask anything else you want.  I will not be offended. After all, I have sold my old shoes on eBay

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 12.54.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 12.54.13 AM.png

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

For the most part everything I have ever listed has sold.  Eventually the market catches up to what I want for an item or someone realizes that I am the only guy that has something and will meet my price.  

For example, people thought I was insane with what I was asking for my 9.4 copy of ASM 300.  I refused to budge.  Eventually the market reached a point where someone met my ask price.

2nd example, someone wrote me non stop about an Animaniacs watch that no one on eBay had.  My copy had a dead battery and replaced wristband.  I wanted $30 for it.  This guy sent me two messages a month offering me $10 for it.  I refused.  He then went to $15.  I refused.  It wasn't taking up any space and wasn't going to make or break me.  Eventually someone else bought it for the $30 + shipping ask. 

Woman on Saturday night wanted a piece of jewelry i was offering.  I had discounted it from $95 to $87.40. (8% eBay sale across the board)  She wrote me and offered me $79.  Here is a screen shot of my response.  She bought it after this message. 

Point is... those are the prices... enough sells that it justifies my leaving everything else up there and doing this.  This is not counted as a source of income.  I have a full time job.  This is more of a side hobby or thing for me.  It is a way to free up some space and cash so I can chase other things.  When the items sell... they sell.   

In fact as I write this I know for a fact that I have pointed people toward other listings because I knew I would not meet the price.  I have a book for $300.  Someone offers to buy it $250.  I decline but point them in the direction to someone that DOES have the book for $250.  That guy is the only guy that has it less than me.  That book is sold.  Now if someone wants a copy they can either wait for that book to appear or they will pay my ask.  

You can ask anything else you want.  I will not be offended. After all, I have sold my old shoes on eBay. 

Great insight, thanks.  I wouldn't be selling my old shoes on ebay, however, lol.

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

You can ask anything else you want.  I will not be offended. After all, I have sold my old shoes on eBay. 

Of course I was joking. I totally agree that it is the seller's right to ask for as much as they want. However, a distinction should be made for eBay vs Craigslist. Craigslist is mainly local. It does not have the reach of eBay. On eBay you have a much wider market and potentially more people willing to pay more than what you might get in a local listing. Another thing--you talk about fairly priced or justifiable and most of the Craigslist listings we're discussing are absurdly high and unreasonable.

On 2/16/2018 at 6:27 PM, Artboy99 said:

hulu0b069d08b-ffb1-426e-8dd2-24b1f74eae8

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

On the flip side, I have been told my prices for things I sell are on the higher end of the spectrum.  I simply reply that at the moment in time I am comfortable with the price point that I have set for this particular item.  Then that is that.  If it sells then it sells, if not then it stays. 

Yeah, I don't see the need to argue about a price, or to "educate" people either. It's a waste of time. They can ask whatever they want, if it's crazy money, I just laugh and move on. If it's close enough to reality, sometimes it's worth making an offer. Craigslist is 99% loons, but I've still had enough successful (some very successful) deals on there that it's at least worth visiting the site once a day and browsing the collectibles. You never know if you don't look.