• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do very small spine creases affect grading of a comic?

14 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Most definitely Yes, the spine creases will knock the grade down  Curious as to why would you think otherwise ? Worse yet, they break color, with the crease in the middle of the spine being the worst.

The crease is about 3 mm,  located off the spine, on the front cover as shown in the first close up pic. Fortunately, the spine is unaffected. I was just wondering if I should bother submitting it for grading. Other that that, the comic has sharp corners, white pages, clean back. 

49 minutes ago, Warflower said:

The crease is about 3 mm,  located off the spine, on the front cover as shown in the first close up pic. Fortunately, the spine is unaffected. I was just wondering if I should bother submitting it for grading. Other that that, the comic has sharp corners, white pages, clean back. 

•  

Welcome to the boards Warflower.

Every defect affects the grade.  I wouldn't call those creases big but I wouldn't call them small either.   It also looks like the book  has a vertical ridge running near the spine probably caused by storage.  Good news is that it's a Canadian newsstand copy.  I don't think I'd bother getting this graded.

57 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Welcome to the boards Warflower.

Every defect affects the grade.  I wouldn't call those creases big but I wouldn't call them small either.   It also looks like the book  has a vertical ridge running near the spine probably caused by storage.  Good news is that it's a Canadian newsstand copy.  I don't think I'd bother getting this graded.

What is the vertical ridge you see running near the spine? I'm new to grading comics, and want to learn. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Warflower said:

What is the vertical ridge you see running near the spine? I'm new to grading comics, and want to learn. Thanks!

Book appears to have a slight ridge about 1/2 inch from the spine, running parallel to the spine.  Often it's storage damage where the book was pressing slightly off center against other books in a box.  If you take it out of the bag and board and run your hand down the spine you should be able to feel a uneven surface running down vertically near the spine. 

There's a free grading contest running here in March called the March Madness Grading Contest.  You should enter, it's fun and you'll get to grade a lot of books and learn.

12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Book appears to have a slight ridge about 1/2 inch from the spine, running parallel to the spine.  Often it's storage damage where the book was pressing slightly off center against other books in a box.  If you take it out of the bag and board and run your hand down the spine you should be able to feel a uneven surface running down vertically near the spine. 

There's a free grading contest running here in March called the March Madness Grading Contest.  You should enter, it's fun and you'll get to grade a lot of books and learn.

So, it should be flat?

20180216_102834.jpg

On 2/15/2018 at 3:13 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Most definitely Yes, the spine creases will knock the grade down  Curious as to why would you think otherwise ? Worse yet, they break color, with the crease in the middle of the spine being the worst.

Do these color bars at the top of the page also take away from the grade?

Screenshot_20180216-161818.png

On 2/16/2018 at 12:21 AM, thehumantorch said:

Every defect affects the grade.

Yup.

I wouldn't call those creases big but I wouldn't call them small either.

Yup.

It also looks like the book  has a vertical ridge running near the spine probably caused by storage.

Maybe. It doesn't quite look flat.

Good news is that it's a Canadian newsstand copy.

Nope, just a boring regular Newsstand edition.

I don't think I'd bother getting this graded.

Probably not.

A press would help it a bit.  Won't help the color breaks though.  The color bar shouldn't affect the grade at all.  Not worth the cost to grade it though, IMO.  I wouldn't pay for slabbing on an SW8 unless I thought it was 9.8 quality.   This book isn't there.  

10 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

A press would help it a bit.  Won't help the color breaks though.  The color bar shouldn't affect the grade at all.  Not worth the cost to grade it though, IMO.  I wouldn't pay for slabbing on an SW8 unless I thought it was 9.8 quality.   This book isn't there.  

Great, if he didn't know a crease hurts the grade, I'm sure he knows nothing about pressing. Get ready for the questions about pressing. :baiting: