• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #797 Mike Mayhew Variant
1 1

91 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I went with the 796 variant that had his 1st app on the cover.

I like the copy, but I am staying away from printed ratio books now. Too many people involved now.

This particular book though isn't a publisher ratio it is a store(s) "exclusive".  

Agreed that there are very few variants that take people by surprise in this hyper speculative market though.  I can maybe think of two or three from the last couple yeas that kinda did.  

-J.

I got the alert, looked at the cover and went back about my day. It may be selling for a premium at the moment, but that cover looks like trash. Coincidentally that is why I didn't buy it. I can't even understand how this is hot. :facepalm:

13 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

This particular book though isn't a publisher ratio it is a store(s) "exclusive".  

Agreed that there are very few variants that take people by surprise in this hyper speculative market though.  I can maybe think of two or three from the last couple yeas that kinda did.  

-J.

I agree I should have phrased it better. I prefer variants that are cheaper with a chance at appreciation.  The  market that produces limited exclusives just seems to be a train wreck waiting to happen and is ripe with possibility of corruption. 

I actually like the cover.  I guess the throwback homage cover and the memory of buying ASM #238 made me gravitate to it.

Sure it's not very stylized but it is what it is.  Too each their own.

I was a fan of Del Otto but now his stuff to me is churned out quantity and not very appealing.

Edited by Red_Hood

5 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

I actually like the cover.  I guess the throwback homage cover and the memory of buying ASM #238 made me gravitate to it.

Sure it's not very stylized but it is what it is.  Too each their own.

I was a fan of Del Otto but now his stuff to me is churned out quantity and not very appealing.

How much do you have invested in this variant?

Sounds normal to me but what do I know. Some books that come out on LCSD or FCBD or Halloween comic fest day or what have you sometimes also offer low print run for some popular issues.

Does this mean they are also ordering more than possibly destroying the remaining copies because of defects, to make the limited release or etc?

I hear of frequent small prints across the industry. Guess I just don’t truly understand the system for making comics.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage