• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auction Today
4 4

201 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Well I can join the oh my god the one book I wanted went for twice what I thought was my ridiculous bid club with that wings 82.

When the colors typically look this, there's going to be extra interest in a copy like they just auctioned.

https://www.comics.org/issue/5946/cover/4/

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

When the colors typically look this, there's going to be extra interest in a copy like they just auctioned.

Yea, it even makes the (higher graded) Church copy look bland:

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1238566

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/wings-comics-82-fiction-house-1947-cgc-nm-94-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7177-93255.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

1 minute ago, jhm said:

Yeah the mile high is blah... I’ll live anyway.  I’ve got a 7.5 with a decent color strike.  82 is the best of the wings bondage covers imo even if opg doesn’t call it classic.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

So true!  If the Berk collection was worthy of a label notation, I think his collection was as well.  Granted, we're not talking about GA superhero keys here, but this is by far the best collection of this type of material that will ever be assembled.  

Very nice of you to say so, but I think Jon's collection was in a whole other ballpark than mine. People will just have to take a sharpie and write the label notation on the slabs I sold :)

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Steve,

Honestly, in my years in the hobby this is one of great collecting accomplishments, given how tough (impossible!) many of these books are to find in high grade -- or in any grade, for some of them.  The diligence it took to assemble these books is just mind boggling.  

You deserve a bust in the main room of the Comic Collectors Hall of Fame. :foryou:

Thanks! That means a lot to me :foryou::foryou:

38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Steve,

Honestly, in my years in the hobby this is one of great collecting accomplishments, given how tough (impossible!) many of these books are to find in high grade -- or in any grade, for some of them.  The diligence it took to assemble these books is just mind boggling.  

You deserve a bust in the main room of the Comic Collectors Hall of Fame. :foryou:

I do agree, Tony. A unique collecting achievement. :applause:

Steve, you are one of the good guys. I'm really pleased you've done so well out of the auction. Talk about perfect timing - if timing sales could be graded, this auction would be a perfect ten!

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Right, Adam - and it isn't every day you see a high grade FH book with such great colors. So I wouldn't say the hammer price was over the top.

14 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall?

The_voyage_of_the_Pequod.jpg

Exactly?

Looks like a page from Classics Illustrated, or maybe Jungle Comics, from early in the printing run with BRIGHT colors! (:

8 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

I agree 100% with that disable live bidding move.  Watching those auctions in the past has resulted in my picking up books that were not really on my chase list to start with.   I have gotten much more disciplined now with bidding only on books I already have on my interest list and nothing more.    I have become boring in my old age...lol

stick-600x799.jpg

Now that's funny! Tell me that's your cute doggy!

On 2/23/2018 at 1:15 PM, FlyingDonut said:
On 2/23/2018 at 12:47 PM, PopKulture said:

Nothing like 40x the listed Overstreet...

Well, Millie 2 is a ridiculously hard book to find, but still..

Correction......it's not like a piddly 40X Overstreet condition guide, but more like a whopping 51X Overstreet condition listed guide.   :gossip:

Wowza!!!!   :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

That Betty and Veronica 40 went for a lot of $  , almost $4,000

Well, I guess the trick is to snag these before the broader collector base deems them to be classic covers and runs them up in price.

Like what happen with the Archie 50 which I was lucky enough to get for myself several years ago before it was recognized as a classic cover.  :whee:

For example, there's an Archie cover in the 40's that I actually like better than the 50, but it never ever seems to come to market anymore.  hm

3 hours ago, 143ksk said:

Very nice of you to say so, but I think Jon's collection was in a whole other ballpark than mine. People will just have to take a sharpie and write the label notation on the slabs I sold :)

Steve;

Big time congrats on getting some stupendous and well-deserved prices on your wonderful collection.  :golfclap:

From reading that little write in the Heritage catalogue, it sounds as though you have a pretty complete collection for all of the early Archie's.  If this is the case, any idea when the rest of them will be coming out since there's a couple of early Archie's that I have been looking to acquire for several years now, but simply haven't seen them in the marketplace?  :wishluck: