• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reattachment of detached centerfold
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere.  If it has, I can't find it.  But . . .

I have recently heard from a prominent dealer that there are methods of reattaching detached centerfolds while maintaining a blue label.  This would be huge for me, and I imagine for everybody.  CGC grades down heavily for detached centerfolds, and goes crazy over detached 2 center wraps.  I have books I think would otherwise grade out at 8.0s except for these issues.

Does CGC themselves offer reattachment as a service?  If so, I couldn't find it advertised in their website;  just pressing is all I saw.

Does anyone know?  Thanks!

Cap 37 7.0 Front.jpg

Cap37 5.0 Front.jpg

MMC 40 Front.jpg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost
optional completeness

Really nice books.  I don't know the answer to your question but I would really like to.  I have married some covers to interiors, (just by placing the interior in the cover like a folder)  and have wondered if it would be worth it to have a professional attach them with vintage staples.  I don't even know if that is just a note on a blue label, conserved, or restored.  Honestly it doesn't seem all that reliable as I see restored books with only tear seals noted but I was pretty sure that was considered conserved.  

Anyway can't wait to hear what some more knowledgeable collectors than me have to say.(thumbsu

On 3/30/2018 at 2:33 PM, ender said:

Really nice books.  I don't know the answer to your question but I would really like to.  I have married some covers to interiors, (just by placing the interior in the cover like a folder)  and have wondered if it would be worth it to have a professional attach them with vintage staples.  I don't even know if that is just a note on a blue label, conserved, or restored.  Honestly it doesn't seem all that reliable as I see restored books with only tear seals noted but I was pretty sure that was considered conserved.  

Anyway can't wait to hear what some more knowledgeable collectors than me have to say.(thumbsu

I sent a query to CGC, asking about it, and asking about if that would turn a green label blue.  Here is the response I got:

"Thank you for your email. Our sister company CCS can potentially re-attached a centerfold, but it would be difficult to determine what label the book would receive without a specific scenario and without the book in hand. Please give us a call if you have a specific example in mind."

I've send them scans of the above cgc books.  I imagine their notes will be insufficient, and they will tell me they have to personally look at the books.  I'll let you know.

Thanks I have paid for a restoration removal querry and been pretty dissatisfied. Not with what they said, but just the lackofsaying much. Flat NO, without any explanation. Hopefully I just got someone on a bad day and you will do better?

There is no doubt, in order for CCS to make an evaluation, they will need the book in hand, cracked open to actually see the centerfold. Most often, the problem is the paper by the staple is torn. Before CGC changed their stance on tape (3 years ago?), you probably could have used tape to reattach the centerfold and received a higher grade. It was an obvious loophole that does not work anymore.

If the staple holes line up and the cf is not torn out, it can probably be done by Matt and submitted. If not, it probably becomes resto and comes back purple. Does any one know the highest grade you can receive with a neatly detached cf? I have a couple of nice books that probably grade 7.0 or 8.0 with neatly detached cfs. How bad would they get hit if I submitted them as is?

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

If the staple holes line up and the cf is not torn out, it can probably be done by Matt and submitted. If not, it probably becomes resto and comes back purple. Does any one know the highest grade you can receive with a neatly detached cf? I have a couple of nice books that probably grade 7.0 or 8.0 with neatly detached cfs. How bad would they get hit if I submitted them as is?

I don't understand how a centerfold can be detached without the paper at the staple area being torn ? If the paper is not torn, it must mean it was never stapled in the first place. 

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't understand how a centerfold can be detached without the paper at the staple area being torn ? If the paper is not torn, it must mean it was never stapled in the first place. 

The staples were not pushed all the way down in. The cf holes are very slightly torn but not much missing like as if it were torn out. Either that or the book was opened up but the holes line up perfectly and paper quality is the same so it doesn't look like a marriage. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Wouldn't that come back as Green, as a married Cover or CF that has been attached does? I've seen multiple books with married covers that are attached, so they must pull the staples attach and reuse the staples. 

50 minutes ago, WereWaiting said:

Re-attaching a centerfold (or cover) is much different than marrying a centerfold (or cover) tho, right? Not in technique, but what you're working with. Steve Borock said many years ago that dissassembling and reassembling a comic is fine if you do it right, Blue label. He also said taking a centerfold (or cover) from one book and attaching it to a different book ("marrying") is not acceptable and could net you a PLOD or GLOD.

It will get a Green label for a married cover or CF not a purlpe.

2 minutes ago, WereWaiting said:

Married pages/cover alone yes, but I never specified that and I said "could" not "will". You  should've asked for clarification if you're confused. You can always find a PLOD that says "married cover" on it.

Your all over the place and not making any sense. :insane: The question was reattaching a cover or CF that's it.