• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are a few bubbles going to be popping soon like IM#55,NM#87 and ASM#300?
3 3

46 posts in this topic

I ask because usually after a key character makes a appearance in a movie the key comic cools off.

Iron Man #55 has been hot for awhile, now Thanos finally gets the starring role in the Avengers movie next month.

Cable finally makes his appearance in the Deadpool movie next month.

Venom finally has his own movie in October.

Could these three key comics be seeing a cooling off period at this time next year?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I think ASM 300 is more iconic than the other two and from a run perspective it IS Spider-man and part of the McFarlane run. The other two not so much. There isn't much love for the IM run in my opinion. I have my original 55 that is 8.5 and have wanted to upgrade for a long while but Marvel is dragging out this Thanos thing forever lol. I want to eventually get a 9.6 white but I can't pay these prices right now. I would be happy for it to go back to the 2016 prices.

NM 87 is currently sitting 15% lower than the high in 2017. Maybe when the movie his it will spike, but the highs are behind us.

As the others have already mentioned, these are all-time iconic characters. Each character relates to a generational collector. The will not "burst" but have a value correction due to industry hype.

I feel like there's a different level of fervor around Thanos.  IM55 has already had a run up, then a cool off period and now with the release of the trailers Thanos has started to gain some serious momentum so the book has seen a little love too.  I've especially noticed this on IG, FB and Twitter.  Even my kids have become huge fans of Thanos.  

Curious to gather the groups thoughts on key issue price run ups and potential drops in regards to first character appearances.   It seems if 1st appearance issues of villains are much more prone to heavy swings up and then down dependent upon movie release dates and market hype (with the exception of a few blue chip villians, ones like, Dr. Doom, Green Goblin, Lex Luthor, Major Batman Villians etc.).   Issues with first appearances of non Villain characters seem to hold their value a bit better even if they are B level characters?    I usually hold my books for a long time, so I don't get overly fussed over fluctuations in value too much but would like to hear the thoughts of other board members on this topic.

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I ask because usually after a key character makes a appearance in a movie the key comic cools off.

Iron Man #55 has been hot for awhile, now Thanos finally gets the starring role in the Avengers movie next month.

Cable finally makes his appearance in the Deadpool movie next month.

Venom finally has his own movie in October.

Could these three key comics be seeing a cooling off period at this time next year?

Can you define what "bubble bursting" means to you first? Are you talking 10-25%? Then sure, it's possible. That kind of variance exists on a daily basis for any book being auctioned off and is not what I would define as a bubble bursting although I'm sure some people here would. Are you talking 50-70% off? That isn't likely. ASM 300 isn't all of a sudden going to start selling for $600 in 9.8 for example. 

36 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

I would also be curious to what you boardies think about NM 98. Has it peaked? I've been debating wether I should sell my NM 98 & 87 or hang onto them.

Peaked? Yes, they have peaked. Will they hold? Maybe. But they won't be going up by any significant margin IMO.

39 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Can you define what "bubble bursting" means to you first? Are you talking 10-25%? Then sure, it's possible. That kind of variance exists on a daily basis for any book being auctioned off and is not what I would define as a bubble bursting although I'm sure some people here would. Are you talking 50-70% off? That isn't likely. ASM 300 isn't all of a sudden going to start selling for $600 in 9.8 for example. 

This,not 50 percent.

20-25 percent is a decent drop. An example is you spend $1000 than a few months later the books are only worth $750 to $800 is not considered a good deal.

I see ASM #300 holding it's own while maybe some others losing steam after their movies appearances debut.

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

I would also be curious to what you boardies think about NM 98. Has it peaked? I've been debating wether I should sell my NM 98 & 87 or hang onto them.

I don't see that book going up again. There are so many high grade copies around. 9.8s are all over the place on ebay. Its like everyone and their uncle owns a copy. Takes away from the "rarity" part of the book.

48 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This,not 50 percent.

20-25 percent is a decent drop. An example is you spend $1000 than a few months later the books are only worth $750 to $800 is not considered a good deal.

I see ASM #300 holding it's own while maybe some others losing steam after their movies appearances debut.

20-25% is not a bubble bursting. Its a correction and while no one ever wants to buy something at the top, it is far from mass hysteria with everyone trying to dump their copy for a fraction of the price. Buying asm300 for $1K and 6 months later you can only get $800 stings but it didn't go to a fraction of the price like what happens when a bubble bursts.

Spawn 1 is a great example of a bubble bursting. Went from $100 book to dollar bin drek for the longest time. That burst. The books mentioned have been hot and at some point could cool off in which case someone likely overpaid, happens in everything that gets hot. Someone always overpays,

59 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This,not 50 percent.

It may not be a "good deal" but it isn't a bubble bursting either. 20% variance on books that don't trade hands every day is normal, depending on many factors and is neither a bubble bursting nor even a correction. It's just a function of how auctions work. For example, take a Daredevil 7 in 9.0 just off the top of my head. Now that I look it up, in 2017 there were 4 sales on GPA $1100, $1200, $1800 and $2000. That is a pretty big variance and actually a greater one than I expected when I picked this as an example. What does it mean? Nothing. The book wasn't a "bubble" book nor did it "correct" from some theoretical high. Some of those 9.0's probably looked better than others, maybe page quality difference or maybe something as innocuous as 2 people really wanted the same copy more in May than they did in March. Variances in sales prices from one book to the next mean relatively little and a 20% variance means nothing as far as I'm concerned.  

If the movies are really good I see all 3 rising about more then coming back to where they're at now and leveling off. 

Doubtful but if movies suck then price drops

6 hours ago, LordRahl said:

It may not be a "good deal" but it isn't a bubble bursting either. 20% variance on books that don't trade hands every day is normal, depending on many factors and is neither a bubble bursting nor even a correction. It's just a function of how auctions work. For example, take a Daredevil 7 in 9.0 just off the top of my head. Now that I look it up, in 2017 there were 4 sales on GPA $1100, $1200, $1800 and $2000. That is a pretty big variance and actually a greater one than I expected when I picked this as an example. What does it mean? Nothing. The book wasn't a "bubble" book nor did it "correct" from some theoretical high. Some of those 9.0's probably looked better than others, maybe page quality difference or maybe something as innocuous as 2 people really wanted the same copy more in May than they did in March. Variances in sales prices from one book to the next mean relatively little and a 20% variance means nothing as far as I'm concerned.  

Off topic but I would love for GPA to offer links to the listings of sold books so we can see what they looked like. Would be glad to pay a little extra per month for that upgrade! Also a break down of newsstand vs UPC sales would greatly help as well.

I would think that there's a good possibility there'll be another venom movie after this one since it revolves around the lethal protector story from what I've heard. Probably a prequel of some kind that would involve Spider-man more. Perhaps that could mitigate any potential drop? 

Anyways I just hope this version of venom is much better than the Spider-man part 3 (2007) version. That version sucked! Who the hell ever heard of a skinny venom?