• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submit?

24 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, HeemBeam said:

I have a New 52 Superman #40 variant cover by John Romita Jr. Should I submit for grading?

Hello HeemBeam!

If you love entombing your comics in plastic, never to be read again, then yes.

If you like to read them, then no.

If you want to make a bucket of money, then no again.

Capture.thumb.PNG.0932731dc9450a40d405551b968e928a.PNG

Have fun! :headbang:

how much money do you have?  Where do you live?  what's your SSN? what's the number of the Credit card you plan to use?  Are you slabbing for love of the comic or character or artist?  Are you trying to sell it?  These are all VITALLY IMPORTANT. 

But honestly, I hope you can see how ridiculous your question is.

I have a melon, should I eat it? 

- Are you allergic?

-What kind of melon?

- Do you like melons?

-Are you hungry?

-Is it your melon?

-What condition is the melon?

-Is the melon so nice that you should export it to Japan?

-Do you have a lot of melons?

-Are you a melon farmer?

-Are you a melon salesman?

-Are you studying the melon for science?

-Was your sister killed by a melon?  Was it this melon?

-Do you have access to the internet?  Can you do math?

Ok, we've all had a bit of fun teasing the newbie. But here's what I always feel afterwards. A young kid - maybe 12 or younger - trying to join in and not really knowing how to do it, such is the dazzling array of opportunities on the boards in their current state. 

The little rush of happiness extinguished as they log back on to see the replies....

pp.PNG.480086862c56ce478e4270d12a3905a5.PNG

HeemBeam - if this is you, I'm sorry. Tell us more about you book please :)

21 minutes ago, revat said:

how much money do you have?  Where do you live?  what's your SSN? what's the number of the Credit card you plan to use?  Are you slabbing for love of the comic or character or artist?  Are you trying to sell it?  These are all VITALLY IMPORTANT. 

But honestly, I hope you can see how ridiculous your question is.

I have a melon, should I eat it? 

- Are you allergic?

-What kind of melon?

- Do you like melons?

-Are you hungry?

-Is it your melon?

-What condition is the melon?

-Is the melon so nice that you should export it to Japan?

-Do you have a lot of melons?

-Are you a melon farmer?

-Are you a melon salesman?

-Are you studying the melon for science?

-Was your sister killed by a melon?  Was it this melon?

-Do you have access to the internet?  Can you do math?

What do you call a sad dog called Lassie that has fused with a melon?

A melon collie.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Ok, we've all had a bit of fun teasing the newbie. But here's what I always feel afterwards. A young kid - maybe 12 or younger - trying to join in and not really knowing how to do it, such is the dazzling array of opportunities on the boards in their current state. 

The little rush of happiness extinguished as they log back on to see the replies....

pp.PNG.480086862c56ce478e4270d12a3905a5.PNG

HeemBeam - if this is you, I'm sorry. Tell us more about you book please :)

so what you're saying is that I'm helping to create a superhero on par with Spiderman.  In that case, you're welcome.

But more seriously, a mild internet rebuke from strangers will hopefully push people to think through their questions analytically a bit more so as to avoid a stronger more embarrassing rebuke in real life.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

so what you're saying is that I'm helping to create a superhero on par with Spiderman.  In that case, you're welcome.

But more seriously, a mild internet rebuke from strangers will hopefully push people to think through their questions analytically a bit more so as to avoid a stronger more embarrassing rebuke in real life.

Nevermind all that, revat, what about a like for the melon collie joke? :baiting:

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Nevermind all that, revat, what about a like for the melon collie joke? :baiting:

if there was a button for 3/4 of a 'like', I would have pressed it.  The idea is good, but I'm not sure its the best possible execution. 

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, revat said:

if there was a button for 3/4 of a 'like', I would have pressed it.  The idea is good, but I'm not sure its the best possible execution. 

ca9.gif

I am right in the middle of this one. I agree with Revat, that the OP could have taken a minute to check Ebay sold listings or current listings to see that the book isn't all that valuable.

On the other hand, maybe the OP has no idea how much it costs to get a book graded + shipping costs.

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I am right in the middle of this one. I agree with Revat, that the OP could have taken a minute to check Ebay sold listings or current listings to see that the book isn't all that valuable.

On the other hand, maybe the OP has no idea how much it costs to get a book graded + shipping costs.

Maybe he's 8. A poor 8 year old, crying himself to sleep. 

38 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I think that's one of the weird things about some of the 1st time posters (not just this one) who start with random questions.  They understand the internet well enough to find this chat room, make an identity, and start a thread.  But can't or won't go to the company website or ebay to do the slightest bit of research, which would probably take less time and be more trustworthy than brainstorming a bunch of strangers.  Or even think through their thought to ask slightly more reasonable question or try to figure out what the variables might be? Its the sense of entitlement without regard to efficiency of effort that I try to disincentivize (sp?). 

I get not knowing something and asking about it.  I do it all the time.  But if I'm asking for help, I might think "What other info can I provide to make it easier for others to give me an answer?"  Or "what can I do myself easily first?"

Like this question might be "Where I can I go to find out how much this comic sells for?"  or "What factors go into deciding to slab a comic?" where he could actually learn something to help with his decision making, as opposed simply getting what amounts to a free appraisal from strangers. 

I think we can all agree that people these days want too much stuff fed to them without wanting to do the analysis and processing themselves, and it kinda sucks.  :preach:

4 minutes ago, revat said:

I think that's one of the weird things about some of the 1st time posters (not just this one) who start with random questions.  They understand the internet well enough to find this chat room, make an identity, and start a thread.  But can't or won't go to the company website or ebay to do the slightest bit of research, which would probably take less time and be more trustworthy than brainstorming a bunch of strangers.  Or even think through their thought to ask slightly more reasonable question or try to figure out what the variables might be? Its the sense of entitlement without regard to efficiency of effort that I try to disincentivize (sp?). 

I get not knowing something and asking about it.  I do it all the time.  But if I'm asking for help, I might think "What other info can I provide to make it easier for others to give me an answer?"  Or "what can I do myself easily first?"

Like this question might be "Where I can I go to find out how much this comic sells for?"  or "What factors go into deciding to slab a comic?" where he could actually learn something to help with his decision making, as opposed simply getting what amounts to a free appraisal from strangers. 

I think we can all agree that people these days want too much stuff fed to them without wanting to do the analysis and processing themselves, and it kinda sucks.  :preach:

Can you hear that? That's the sound of an 8 year old boy, crying himself to sleep  :grin:

Only kidding. He's 7.

I've answered quite a few first posters questions recently. They never return to see the answer. Seems to be the way. They were good answers too. 

1 minute ago, speedcake said:

This person joined in October and only now made their first post. I'm not sure why I find that interesting. 

Anyway, HeemBeam why would you like to have this book slabbed? Any particular reason?

To stop his tears from knocking it down to a VG