• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 1 - Silver Foil

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, spreads said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

There's a key difference from other types of collectibles... no one ever enjoyed collectible plates. There's no nostalgia.  People don't understand why we would pay $100 or $10,000 for a comic book, but it's because we enjoyed these characters, we always wanted some books, we finally have the chance to get them, they have somehow survived in higher grade, it's a common interest and memories that we share with lots of other people.  Pac-Man machines, Playboys, model cars, Hot Wheels... remember those?  Yep, spent a lot of time with a few of those in the days when I didn't have too many responsibilities.

Collectible plates, Danbury Mint items, who remembers playing with those as a kid?  No one.  So who wants them now?  Same answer.

So to summarize, manufactured collectible?

I don't think so.  Spider-man #1 (1990) was bagged and clearly labeled as a manufactured collectible, plus it has even further level of manufactured collectible status by having a platinum variant.  It has always had value.  Spider-man comics are enjoyable.  Spider-man porcelain cup and saucer... not so much.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Anything made "as a collector's item" almost certainly never will be, Marvel's cover copy aside, because without that connection to the past in some way, no one will ever spend anything worthwhile pursuing them later. Buying them, keeping them in "mint condition", storing them away, and never looking at them again creates no positive memories or experiences. Without that, there's little hope for value in the future.

Whoops, I should have kept reading before I gave the Spider-man #1 (1990) Platinum example above. RMA already excepted the Marvel label for manufactured collectible comics, but doubled-down on the memory and enjoyment aspect, so I'm covered. :bigsmile:

Just now, valiantman said:

Whoops, I should have kept reading before I gave the Spider-man #1 (1990) Platinum example above. RMA already excepted the Marvel label for manufactured collectible comics, but doubled-down on the memory and enjoyment aspect, so I'm covered. :bigsmile:

To be certain, there can be nostalgia and enjoyment linked to manufactured collectibles. I still buy X-Men #1 whenever I find them for 50 cents or less, simply because I fondly remember the fervor surrounding their release. They're not worth even a dime, I'd imagine, but I still enjoy buying them. So they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Just now, F For Fake said:

To be certain, there can be nostalgia and enjoyment linked to manufactured collectibles. I still buy X-Men #1 whenever I find them for 50 cents or less, simply because I fondly remember the fervor surrounding their release. They're not worth even a dime, I'd imagine, but I still enjoy buying them. So they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Right - spreads attempted to summarize my point about enjoyment and nostalgia vs. no enjoyment as "manufactured collectible" but my point is the same as yours... if there was enjoyment of a manufactured collectible, then it can be "worth something" later... but if it was a collectible plate... what an exciting memory. :bigsmile:

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Right - spreads attempted to summarize my point about enjoyment and nostalgia vs. no enjoyment as "manufactured collectible" but my point is the same as yours... if there was enjoyment of a manufactured collectible, then it can be "worth something" later... but if it was a collectible plate... what an exciting memory. :bigsmile:

Ha, indeed!

8 hours ago, spreads said:

So to summarize, manufactured collectible?

IMO, yes.  

It’s the age old adage of “what I collect rocks, what you collect sucks”.  Different strokes for different folks.

18 hours ago, F For Fake said:

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

Spider-man #1, any cover, sells quite readily at about $10. It’s now older than SA books were when I started collecting them back in the mid-80s. For today’s beginning collector it’s an inexpensive way to get a Spider-man #1 with a great cover. Try to sell a #3 or #27 or whatever from the same title and you’re in for a wait. Why? Unless you’re collecting the run you have no draw to it, nostalgia or otherwise. 

It’s exactly the same with X-men #1, I think, though less demanded. Any of the red covers are worth about a buck but the green gatefold is steady at $5. Not huge money but worth picking up cheap. 

Edited by mysterio

34 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Spider-man #1, any cover, sells quite readily at about $10. It’s now older than SA books were when I started collecting them back in the mid-80s. For today’s beginning collector it’s an inexpensive way to get a Spider-man #1 with a great cover. Try to sell a #3 or #27 or whatever from the same title and you’re in for a wait. Why? Unless you’re collecting the run you have no draw to it, nostalgia or otherwise. 

It’s exactly the same with X-men #1, I think, though less demanded. Any of the red covers are worth about a buck but the green gatefold is steady at $5. Not huge money but worth picking up cheap. 

It's true, I was pleasantly surprised to blow out some Spider-Man #'1's just this last week at $10 a pop. I always pick them up if I can find them for, say, $3 or less. There are a blue million of them out there, but people still want 'em.

3 hours ago, mysterio said:

Spider-man #1, any cover, sells quite readily at about $10. It’s now older than SA books were when I started collecting them back in the mid-80s.

I think about that fact on a regular basis. When I bought my first comics...summer of 1989...the oldest silver age book (Showcase #4) was only 33 years old. The Marvel universe as we know it was only 28 years old.

Spiderman #1 is 28 years old in about a month and a half.

On 4/25/2018 at 12:15 PM, valiantman said:

There's a key difference from other types of collectibles... no one ever enjoyed collectible plates.

Well somebody enjoyed them, because they initially sold.  They just don't resell well.   

So how many of these are you buying?  Gem Mint 10's baby! 

action 1.jpg