• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free Comic Book Day May 5th
1 1

54 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

World greatest cortoonists  seemed to be the rarer one to get

they went fast.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Free Comic Book day with the grand daughters. Just them and PaPa. They were very excited and got a huge pile. I picked up Bongo, Sponge Bob and Barriers. This is what life is all about guys!

0FE9E65E-E6D8-4356-BB04-14C2EEF953B3.jpeg

14D9F72A-7D73-4CD9-BAA7-89232622D456.jpeg

Things look vivid to children I'm sure this was eye popping.  :luhv:

My personal favorite I saw was at the worst comic shop I was in all day.

$30 for 30 books new books or $100 for 100 books all from the last couple of years.

They were getting decimated I wish I took pictures of what the boxes looked like.

Most shops were offering 50% off back issues and I bought a ton.

Edited by fastballspecial

5 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

My personal favorite I saw was at the worst comic shop I was in all day.

$30 for 30 books new books or $100 for 100 books all from the last couple of years.

They were getting decimated I wish I took pictures of what the boxes looked like.

Most shops were offering 50% off back issues and I bought a ton.

That sounds absurd.  How was the store not completely wiped clean by the end of the day?

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

That sounds absurd.  How was the store not completely wiped clean by the end of the day?

Well the store is pretty poorly organized. The owner I don't know how they stay in business, but they do focus a lot on cards
which seems to be more profitable.

They weren't right off the rack, but issues that were maybe at least 6 months old or older. Guy next to me bought a full long box
of Deadpool

Bit of a dud for me.  Took my 2 little ones to the 2 closest LCS around 1pm and they were pretty much out of all their FREE comics.  When I got up yesterday morning I called ahead to reserve the 1 free comic I really wanted which was the ASM copy.  Troy at Flashback comics was busy unboxing them the moment I called and I could tell he was already working at too feverish a pace multitasking to properly hold a phone conversation but he said I was good.  I got there and they had a minicon setup with some local artists, sponsors, and had some sales but sadly the only comic for my kids they had left was the girly superheroes one which was perfect for my little girl but I had to pick something up extra for my little guy.  No biggie.  I asked for my reserved comic and the staffers gave me a little scare saying they had no idea and didn't see a reserved copy.  Troy still multitasking with customers casually said yeah he has one reserved I put it aside there.  One of the staffers found it and triumphantly brought it to me.  Troy is da MAN!  As I was checking out one of the other staffers handed my son another cool comic for free. 

Went to painted visiions hoping for something else for my little guy and managed to find a couple of other free books along his taste but they were also only down to 3 options and 2 were the not for elementary school kids age.  Those guys did have a sidewalk sale of 50% off trades and $1 long box comics.

Why were they so completely out?  Did anyone else observe a complete clearout of the free comics?  Are people hoarding to resell some of these or did LCS's just not order that many.  Painted visions had a 1 of each cover limit per person.

18 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much FCBD costs for the stores? I just saw a ton of people take the free comics and leave so I was wondering what costs they are eating?

1 of my LCS had 10 mixed FCBD comics pre-selected into either kid's or adult's pack with a free overstocked small toy. 2nd LCS offered your choice of the 1st 4 FCBD issues then any extras were $1 each. Was a bit unusual that they had overstocked kid's square bound graphic novel that retailed $19.95 for $2 blowout. No sale in the 2nd LCS but they did offer overstocked Starslayer #1, Grimjack #1, #2, Dreadstar #1 as part of the 1st 4 freebies or $1 blowout.

My fave was the Jodorowsky 'Dune' comic by Moebius who worked on the storyboards to the unfinished 1st Dune movie:

1f1PpPc.jpg

Perhaps I'm only thinking this through as a back issue buyer, but every year my LCS(es) garner huge crowds on FCBD; they have lines wrapping around the store to get 3 free comics, at least a superhero or two -- or an artist doing sketches -- but never offer any of the priced merchandise at a discount.

As others have said, "free" comics actually cost money to the retailers. So why have a free (to the consumers) day of free comics, free cos-players, and free sketches (a donation to Heroes if you want), but not entice anyone to actually spend money with a discount?