• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I remember Jaymole.

Never heard of him.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Thanks for all the love and support - the boards are a great place and I’m very lucky to have made so many friendships over the years :foryou:

Even though I have only met about a dozen boardies, messaging really can create cherished friendships, especially during this mess.

Brief recap just in case anyone doesn’t have all the facts lol

This whole ordeal started when I replied to a want ad that was looking for ASMs up to issue 150 in 6.0 or better (raw).

I PMed the poster as he was buying them for a “friend”. I told him that I have 38 issues from 100 to 150. I pulled them all out and graded them. I even sent him about 6 scans - he did not ask for any - so that he could see what he was getting and to see that’s I’m a good grader. He saw the scans and I assume he sent them to his friend also. A few of the books were under 6.0 but I said I will toss them in so he can have a few more books.

After some back and forth we agreed on $675.00 shipped. I would ship the books to him and he would pay for them and then work it out for his buddy. I sent the books to him because his buddy has a wife who wouldn’t be cool with this. Since at least one of them saw the scans, I assumed there wouldn’t be an issue later on and some of the blame lies on me since I never mentioned returns and he never asked about it either - but big lesson learned by me.

Books get delivered on Saturday and I received a PM saying we have a problem - his buddy won’t take the books, his wife found out and threw a fit. I tell him to try and work it out with his buddy and he agrees as I said I don’t want to take the books back. He acknowledges that it’s his responsibility and that he will see if he can work it out. He couldn’t get it worked out and he needed the refund for his rent and then offered to keep the books if I took another $100.00 off the sale price and that he would hold a sales thread or put them on eBay.  Needless to say it didn’t work out so we tried to work out what to do with the books.

At this point, Randall PMed me an offered to take the books to a local con in June and try and sell them for me. I thought it was an extremely generous offer and accepted. I told Randall that I would split the proceeds with him 50/50 and I told this to the boardie - that I would rather lose money on this deal than give him another $100.00 off. I asked him to send the books to Randall. Him sending the books to Randall would be much cheaper than him returning them to me in Canada so I thought I was being nice to help and try and save him more money since he was in a tight spot money wise. He then got nervous that if he sent them to Randall that I would stiff him on the refund and wanted to return them to me or he would file a PayPal claim.

At this point I went to look at his Kudos thread and looked to see who he had dealt with. Lucky enough he had dealt twice with Crassus - Robert - so I contacted Robert to see if he would PM the boardie to tell him that I’m legit. Robert and I live in the same city and we have gotten together a few times and I figured he will vouch for me. The boardie agreed and Robert convinced him that I wasn’t a risk lol and that I would refund him when Randall safety received the books. Next issue was shipping costs and this was a big hurdle. I felt because this is clearly a case of buyer’s remorse that it would fair if the boardie and his buddy would cover my shipping costs to him and the costs to Randall. Turned out we couldn’t agree - or had a signals crossed as we both thought we had reached a deal on shipping. He refused to cover my shipping costs to him - technically he doesn’t have to because normally the buyer just pays return shipping but I felt that I had gone above and beyond to try and be reasonable with this. He said again he would file a PayPal claim.

My shipping cost to him was about $45.00 and his cost to Randall was about $33.00 so we have a $12.00 difference and that is all is willing to “pay” for my shipping costs to him, so he expects a refund of 665.00 out of the original $675.00. In the meantime he said his buddy is going to pay him $20.00 for HIS headache. I still haven’t decided yet how much to refund him regarding the shipping costs. Many have PMed me that they would buy the books but I came up with a better solution - well not better for me financially lol - but something that will help someone in need. Randall will hold a sales thread with the 38 books in the near future and 50% of the proceeds will go to Brittany to help her with her costly rehab. Randall and I will split the remaining 50%. Yes I will end up taking a bath but as I told the boardie it’s not about the money at this point, it’s about doing the right thing. Money is great but my principles and board reputation mean more to me.

He could have been a good guy and manned up and said yes it’s on me since I started the want thread but unfortunately  that didn’t happen. Maybe I was unrealistic to ask for both shipping costs but it’s better than him not getting refunded the remaining $600.00 if he had to keep the books. Robert has read all of my messages with the boardie so if I messed anything up hopefully he will step in. I’m not sure if this is solid enough for a PL nomination but I will think about it and probably post in the PL discussion thread to see if I’m on solid or shaky ground with this. I will also PM Jaymole1 (Jaymole - he account hasn’t been merged) to see once again if he do the right thing. I’m not hopeful.

Remember to break up large posts into bite size nuggets as I have demonstrated here!!!  man what a train wreck this deal turned into!

Edited by kav

I think there's some important lessons here.

Don't broker a deal or be the middleman in the deal unless you're willing to accept the books if the third party backs out.
Pick your friends wisely, if you vouch for them you're putting your reputation on the line.
Don't be a total schmuck and try to extort an extra hundred bucks when you've already let someone down.

I'm glad you got your books back, Jeff.  I too was hoping that this was a boardie I had never heard of, but that's not the case.  It's been a couple of years now, but Jaymole used to have fairly regular sales threads and I bought a lot of books from him.  I personally never had any issues with him, but since he has now demonstrated his true character, I will never deal with him again.  Reputations mean a lot, and as far as I'm concerned, Jaymole's is shot.  As far as the shipping charges go, I would contact Paypal, explain the situation and ask for their opinion on how to handle it.  If they say that they would refund the shipping charges to him if he filed a claim, then I would just refund them to him and be done with it.  If, however, they say that he is not entitled to a refund on the shipping charges and that they would side with you if he files a claim, then I would not refund the shipping to him.  If he threatens to file a claim with Paypal, let him go ahead since you would already know how it will be handled by Paypal.  Also, the gall that Jaymole has to tell you that his friend is going to pay him $20.00 for HIS trouble would pizz me off to no end, and I would tell him to take a long walk off a short plank.  I have a very small list of boardies whom I will have nothing to do with, and Jaymole is the newest addition.

30 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Don't be a total schmuck and try to extort an extra hundred bucks when you've already let someone down.

That was the last nail in the coffin.

2 hours ago, comicquant said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I've made quite a few purchases from jaymole, and had some extensive pm conversations about the boards, life, finances and stuff. 

The Voldy of character recommendations :baiting:

Not really funny, jackwagon.

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
24 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Not really funny, jackwagon.

Yeah, it kinda is.

And what shady business deal have I engaged in here?  

Refusing to sell to you?

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Refusing to sell to you?

It was about as funny as you calling me a thief the other day.

You can dish it out, how come you can't take it?

Just now, Logan510 said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Refusing to sell to you?

It was about as funny as you calling me a thief the other day.

You can dish it out, how come you can't take it?

Uh...., because of your underlying lack of character?

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Uh...., because of your underlying lack of character?

Yeah, that's what it is...not your thin skin :)

Nor yours.