• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm getting priced out of collecting
4 4

132 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Whats "Normal" give an example 

I do think we’re in a comic bubble 

so, I guess I’m referring to pre-bubble market conditions.

For instance, when books that have been around for 60 years are no longer going up in value 250% in  12 months.

...among other things like speculation, variants, etc...

Edited by Michelangelo

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

You want to be careful proclaiming you're a "true collector" when you only buy keys, and don't want to pay market value...

I’m not sure how my collecting focus on keys means I’m not a true collector if that’s what I love acquiring. I collect. I don’t buy based on speculation or buy to flip and make a quick buck.

thanks? I didn’t know I had to collect runs across different genres or publishers to be called a ‘true collector’.. do you need to have 5,000 books or 20,000 books before you can be a true collector? Does your collection have to be worth a minimum amount before it’s a collection?

if I had a dime for every time someone on this forum referred to what their collecting focus was or people who suggest that others change a collecting focus. Do you question them?

as for questioning my status or prowess as a collector for not wanting to pay market value. I think that’s just a silly comment. So, I’m not a true collector because I don’t want to pay more than I think something is worth? Or what I’m willing to pay? Or what I can afford?

3 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

So, I’m not a true collector because I don’t want to pay more than I think something is worth? Or what I’m willing to pay? Or what I can afford?

There are many ways to collect, and there's no best way.  I bristled at you saying you're a true collector when it sounds like everything's too expensive for you, and you're not collecting anything.  There's plenty to buy, you just don't want any of it.  Your loss, my gain.

I originally put together a midgrade raw ASM run by about two years after I graduated college. 

By 2012 I completed a slabbed 1-100 run... 

I don't think I would ever be able to do that now going by what today's prices command. 

I watched the prices that certain books that I want are going for and the prices I am getting for books that I no longer want...  It is definitely a seller's market right now. 

20 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

2 years ago I got married and 6 months later bought a house in a red hot real estate market and it's been a pinch to say the least. Paying down the mortgage, paying back family we borrowed from, making the new house feel like our home, etc.

You might just be where I was 25 years ago.  I graduated from college and got my first career job,  bought my first new car, first house and had the first of three kids (all in 1y time).  At that point I stopped collecting. It had nothing to do with any 'bubble', but I just didn't have the time or money.   Now that I'm back with more $ and time than ever, I've been actively collecting again, but mostly filling up affordable runs - sticking to stuff for some reason is not that desirable to a majority of collectors, but has value to me..  Unfortunately many of my 'grails' such as GL76 have gone from $200 to $3000-5000 in that time period.  If it was my only grail, I'd get it no problem. But I've calculated it would cost me just over $100,000 to get all the ones I want at today's prices. Ain't gonna happen.

One book that I wanted in the HA auction was the Mile High copy of Real Heroes #1.  Not a title that is red hot and I thought I might have a chance.

So here’s an example of a comic book that illustrates what I consider the crazy price trends in the GA market.  GPA shows this book as a 9.2 selling in 2002 $949.  It then resold as a 9.4 at Heritage (I’m assuming after a press) about six months later for $1265.

Looks like someone tried to flip it a year later and HA sold it for $805.  Ouch.  GPA then shows it selling in Oct. 2017 for $1468.  So from its peak price in 2002 to 2017, a span of 15 years, it goes up by $203.

Yesterday, less than a year since its most recent sale, it goes for $3107!  I really thought I put in a strong bid, but I still fell short.

It’s a free market and obviously someone wanted the book more than me, but goodness, a comic that appreciated $200 in 15 years then jumps up over $1600 in 6 months. 

Pricing on books, especially GA non-keys is a tricky thing.   So much is dependent on it being in the right sale (assuming auction sale) and having at least a couple of buyers chasing after it.  Sometimes it falls under the radar, or perhaps people are just focused on other books in the sale and it sells for much less.    If you want to chase after popular books, whether they be keys or cool covers (which seems to be on fire at the moment and only getting hotter for GA books) then you are going to have to pay, in some cases a lot for even a beat up copy.

Price trends don't last forever and there are corrections and shifts up and down in all collectable markets, and sometimes even market collapses.   I think its naïve to think that high demand Key books are going to ever be cheap again.     There may be corrections, but finding that key book for a song within any major buying venue is a thing of the past.  Accept it or move along to collecting another form of comics that you can enjoy.

I love abstract art and paintings and I think Picasso is amazing in the work he has done.   I don't grumble about not being able to afford one (which I cant).   I enjoy other artists work who I can acquire and hang on my wall to enjoy.

I was looking at GPA for some of the books I own and it looks crazy to me.  The last sale for an FF48 in CGC 7.5 is $2000.

That is just nutty.  I think I bought the book about 10 years ago for $350 or so.  

It a cool book, and a major key, but there are probably 10s of thousands of copies out there. It’s not hard to find in grade.  Who is buying all of these books at these levels?

I rarely go thru the effort to actually sell any of the books I buy, but I think I need to get off my butt and cash in on some of these.

There is an oversupply of money. Thats why you see record prices like in the Rockefellert Art collection auction. The people who have this luxury problem try to save their money in investing in all sorts of commodities. Art is is great for this purpose. Small, transportable and you can put millions in one painting. I think at least in the high end of comics the money also trickles in that market.

1 hour ago, Hamlet said:

I was looking at GPA for some of the books I own and it looks crazy to me.  The last sale for an FF48 in CGC 7.5 is $2000.

That is just nutty.  I think I bought the book about 10 years ago for $350 or so.  

It a cool book, and a major key, but there are probably 10s of thousands of copies out there. It’s not hard to find in grade.  Who is buying all of these books at these levels?

I rarely go thru the effort to actually sell any of the books I buy, but I think I need to get off my butt and cash in on some of these.

Yes there are alot of FF 48s out there but in 7.5 I'm not sure if there are 10s of thousands. (you probably mean all copies)

Thar said, eBay shows less the 10 sales in the past 3 months graded CGC 7.5

Currently to date there are 4633 total graded by CGC, only 314 are in 7.5

I'm not saying this book is rare but it is certainly not as common as dirt.

What boogles my mind is how low end raw copies in the 1.0-4.0 are selling for 250-600$ and risings.

I have always felt that this book was under valued but how high is it going to go?

If Mr.Radd becomes a part of the MCU get ready to see some really nutty prices.

23 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

I like buying keys Silver/Bronze/Copper key books and then enjoy reading digital or omnibuses of a series for the stories

This bit is why I gave the original post a like.

Sounds more a comics fan to me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, grayzr said:

Yes there are alot of FF 48s out there but in 7.5 I'm not sure if there are 10s of thousands. (you probably mean all copies)

Thar said, eBay shows less the 10 sales in the past 3 months graded CGC 7.5

Currently to date there are 4633 total graded by CGC, only 314 are in 7.5

What boogles my mind is how low end raw copies in the 1.0-4.0 are selling for 250-600$ and risings.

I have always felt that this book was under valued but how high is it going to go?

If Mr.Radd becomes a part of the MCU get ready to see some really nutty prices.

Yes, I meant all copies.

There are about 1250 CGC copies certified in 7.5 or higher, which seems like a decent number of copies.

Yes, the low end copies are just as nutty ( or worse, given how super common this book is in low grade ), but at least those dollar amounts can be managed by the bulk of people as entertainment expenses.

I felt the book was undervalued when I bought it.  I don’t now.  Now I’m thinking that I’d rather have the money than the book, and I’m feeling that way about more and more of my collection.  

1 hour ago, grayzr said:

I'm pretty this book IS common as dirt - relatively speaking. Cases of FF #48's were found along with other books - such as DD 6, FF 54, 59, Thor 142 & 156, Avengers 24, ASM 45, Iron Man 2 Captain Marvel 3, I think Chuck had 10,000 copies of FF 48. More info can be found here:

8 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

I'm pretty this book IS common as dirt - relatively speaking. Cases of FF #48's were found along with other books - such as DD 6, FF 54, 59, Thor 142 & 156, Avengers 24, ASM 45, Iron Man 2 Captain Marvel 3, I think Chuck had 10,000 copies of FF 48. More info can be found here:

That doesn't mean all of them are available for sale relative to demand though :shy: I seldom see it in LCS and if it is there it has a raw sig etc....

1 minute ago, Kramerica said:

That's very true. But FF #48 could be costing everyone a LOT more if not for the MH & other warehouse finds. 

+1

I think as time moves on and silver age gets as old as golden once was, the demand will finally meet supply and cause some sort of value change. Among other reasons. I think the thought of over supply caused it to lay low for longer, but the thought of a finite supply to those who don't  own it will plague collectors. 

On 5/9/2018 at 11:02 PM, batman_fan said:

Electrical rock the engineering world, just saying :whistle:

You can't spell "geek" without "EE". (: