• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost comic returned, fifty years later.

5 posts in this topic

It's 1965, maybe 1966 and my Mom takes me shoe shopping. There is some sort of promotion going on and I get to choose a free brand new comic book. As most of the comics I've see are well used and often coverless, this is a big deal. While I doubt it was my first comic, it's the one I remember getting new.

There are a couple to choose from, mostly Archies and the like. I pick one that features Jughead but he is somehow a superhero. I start to read the comic in the car but I'd recently gotten car sick so reading was out. We drive some 15 miles to my cousins house and I bring in the comic, possibly my proudest possession. I  go in and leave it on a table. When we are ready to leave, it's nowhere to be found. A quick search and it doesn't turn up. My Aunt says she will find it and return it. She never does. A few months later, as we are walking in to their house, my Dad pulls me aside and tells me not to ask about it, so I don't. 

I was in that house hundreds of times over the years, and always remembered my lost comic. I've thumbed thru dozens of Archie superhero books but never recognized any of the stories.

My Uncle died a few years ago, and my Aunt lived full time on Marco Island but never gave up the house in Flushing. She died last year. 

Evidently, my cousins kids were going through the basement and found a paper bag with my name on it,and a note saying keep for Billy.

My cousin called my Sister and got my number. She couldn't believe I remembered it and was so happy I wanted it back. She is going to get it to my Sister this week