• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to WD #1 value?!?!
3 3

160 posts in this topic

Every issue from the last year is still on the LCS rack for cover price. That wasn't happening 2,3, or 4 years ago, you could hardly get extras of a month old issue at cover once the new one was out.

Shops are ordering more copies and getting stuck with them because nobody is grabbing 5-10 copies of each issue anymore to sit on as an investment. Factor in the current $3.99 cover price and the quality of the stories of late and you have a sinking turd

Sounds like the American way, "build up your heroes, tear them down, build them back up again". I've been with WD since the start, still love the book, and will stick with it till whatever end it deserves. 

I can't stand Rick, and have hoped against hope that they'd kill him and Coral off, as that may be enough to renew my interest in the show. Rick is the worst. Ugh.

BUT, Andrew Lincoln is the face of that show. Can't see this as being anything other than REAAAAAALLY bad for the show's popularity going forward. So, this may be the death knell for the show...but the book will be fine. Maybe not $2500+ in 9.8 fine, but fine all the same.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, Lonzilla said:

Every issue from the last year is still on the LCS rack for cover price. That wasn't happening 2,3, or 4 years ago, you could hardly get extras of a month old issue at cover once the new one was out.

Shops are ordering more copies and getting stuck with them because nobody is grabbing 5-10 copies of each issue anymore to sit on as an investment. Factor in the current $3.99 cover price and the quality of the stories of late and you have a sinking turd

sounds isolated to me. Print runs are extremely high and everyone knows that so there isn't potential in the current issues anyways

What are they on?  The 8th season?  Lots of shows do not make it this far and it's had a good run.  I stopped watching (and buying comics from the bargin bins) last season and it does not sound like I'm missing much.

8 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

What are they on?  The 8th season?  Lots of shows do not make it this far and it's had a good run.  I stopped watching (and buying comics from the bargin bins) last season and it does not sound like I'm missing much.

I agree. Not many shows run that long. The difference is the comic has played out further in writing, which can't be said for hardly any shows. Game of Thrones has suffered from the opposite.

5 hours ago, retrothecollector said:

So with the end of the WD, who's ready to sell me #1 9.8 for $1k? :takeit::baiting:

Better yet, anyone wanting to unload any 9.9 or higher MINT copies of The Walking Dead please feel free to let me know ;) (any issue I need I'm looking for)

#shamelessplug

All jokes aside, I'm worried about this, too...but maybe JDM will take over or Daryl or Michonne (assuming she doesn't leave, too) - any one of those 3 I'd back and watch just as faithfully (heck, I'll watch it to the end, regardless).

So I tried to sell some great nm issues as a lot. 33, 44, 45, 46, And 47. 33 I thought was worth almost the asking price alone of 50 bux. 44-47 probably worth 20 each. So I figured 20x4 is 80 and maybe 30 for 33 so close 75-100 probably.

Got 0 bids and 1 watcher. These books continue to fall. So basically you can’t even get 10 dollars now for each issue I mentioned.

5 hours ago, jason4 said:

So I tried to sell some great nm issues as a lot. 33, 44, 45, 46, And 47. 33 I thought was worth almost the asking price alone of 50 bux. 44-47 probably worth 20 each. So I figured 20x4 is 80 and maybe 30 for 33 so close 75-100 probably.

Got 0 bids and 1 watcher. These books continue to fall. So basically you can’t even get 10 dollars now for each issue I mentioned.

:whatthe: I retract my current offer of $1000 for a #1 9.8, my new offer for anyone selling WD #1 CGC 9.8 (original) is now $500 lol

Edited by retrothecollector
new offer lol

On 6/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, retrothecollector said:

:whatthe: I retract my current offer of $1000 for a #1 9.8, my new offer for anyone selling WD #1 CGC 9.8 (original) is now $500 lol

Black or white label ?

Common issues have been cool for 2 - 3 years now, just like we have seen over the past decade (or longer) with any other long running title. Thanks to TPBs and compendiums, there is no need to build runs now unless the cost is cheaper than the collected edition.