• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is happening to WD #1 value?!?!
3 3

160 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

The comic never skyrocketed because of the show. The average WD viewer doesn't even know it's based on a comic. The show BOOSTED sales and made it the grail it is today. 

That will never change. Ever

Umm.........you are kidding here, right? The prices definitely were impacted by the TV show. Without the show it would never have popped, as is shown by GPA prices. The TV show debuted in 2010. Was it trending positively prior to that due to comic collector demand? Yes, but prior to the TV show it was a $300 - $500 book, just like Saga #1........

Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8

gpaforcomics_data2_chart.asp?theSerialNumber=NDY22x1136OC0xb4x4Z31C0xLTIwb4x4Z31Db4x4Z31tb4x4Z31S0xLTx12c33ctb4x4Z31y0w&caid=NDY22x1136OC0xb4x4Z31C0xLTIwb4x4Z31Db4x4Z31tb4x4Z31S0xLTx12c33ctb4x4Z31y0w&ShowHighLows=off

Saga #1 CGC 9.8

gpaforcomics_data2_chart.asp?theSerialNumber=b4x42x1136Z31TE5b4x4Z31zQtb4x4Z31Tx12c33ctb4x4Z31S0yb4x4Z31DEyLTEtb4x4Z31S0wLTb4x4Z31tb4x4Z31x12c33c==&caid=b4x42x1136Z31TE5b4x4Z31zQtb4x4Z31Tx12c33ctb4x4Z31S0yb4x4Z31DEyLTEtb4x4Z31S0wLTb4x4Z31tb4x4Z31x12c33c==&ShowHighLows=off

11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

The comic never skyrocketed because of the show. The average WD viewer doesn't even know it's based on a comic. The show BOOSTED sales and made it the grail it is today. 

Disagree.. The show had huge impact on values and exposure

Furthermore, yes walking dead is a great story.. But that's it..  Its not an original IP, just an original take on a zombie apocalypse with characters we cared  about  but I don't think many will feel pangs of nostalgia for like a superman or wolverine  when they disappeared from public view for a while. 

WD #1 will remain significant for being a major part of this era and the cultural influence it had which will give out value,  but I doubt it will ever be a true long term high demand  grail  like a hulk 181 etc. 

11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Disagree.. The show had huge impact on values and exposure

Furthermore, yes walking dead is a great story.. But that's it..  Its not an original IP, just an original take on a zombie apocalypse with characters we cared  about  but I don't think many will feel pangs of nostalgia for like a superman or wolverine  when they disappeared from public view for a while. 

WD #1 will remain significant for being a major part of this era and the cultural influence it had which will give it good sought after value,  but I doubt it will ever be a true long term high demand highly priced   grail  like a hulk 181 etc. 

On 4/24/2023 at 2:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

dang lol and I traded quite a bit ($950 -1150 worth of stuff) to obtain a lowly 9.2 lol 

I hear there's a movie supposedly coming out so that might be the time to offload some WD books.  About what I have no idea as I bailed on the TV series when they

Spoiler

killed off Carl

and on the books when they

Spoiler

defeat Negan but decide to keep him alive and save him.

I should have quit both the show and the books when most everyone else did when they

Spoiler

killed off Glen.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:37 AM, Ecranu said:

Best thing I ever did was unload my TWD1s, just before Glenn was killed on the show!

Haha…SCORE

On 4/27/2023 at 6:25 PM, newshane said:

Eh. Who cares what it’s worth? Do you love it enough to buy and hold or not? 

I'm not sure who you're asking due to no quote, but I didn't buy to sell, no.

I couldn't buy to replace, but losing money is what I was insinuating. The cost I traded is now about what a 9.2 goes for, it's a natural reaction. It was priced at $1,100 and I traded $950 cost. Other than admiring I in person lol

There is not much else but to comment on the boards, although I'm not sure if it has stayed the same, gone down, or upping the game? It wasn't clear, so I commented  :)

On 4/27/2023 at 7:36 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not sure who you're asking due to no quote, but I didn't buy to sell, no.

I couldn't buy to replace, but losing money is what I was insinuating. The cost I traded is now about what a 9.2 goes for, it's a natural reaction. It was priced at $1,100 and I traded $950 cost. Other than admiring I in person lol

There is not much else but to comment on the boards, although I'm not sure if it has stayed the same, gone down, or upping the game? It wasn't clear, so I commented  :)

Asking the OP. 

I can understand people being sore about losing money. My question was rhetorical in a sense. More about making the point "collect what you love" instead of approaching the hobby like an investment instrument. 

I'd say one thing the WD1 has going for it is the RELATIVE scarcity of it. 

The show ended up in such a bad place that it's hard to remember when it ruled the world. 

I haven't kept up with the value at all, but I still think it's a blue-chip "ultra-modern." 

On 4/27/2023 at 7:47 PM, newshane said:

Asking the OP. 

I can understand people being sore about losing money. My question was rhetorical in a sense. More about making the point "collect what you love" instead of approaching the hobby like an investment instrument. 

I'd say one thing the WD1 has going for it is the RELATIVE scarcity of it. 

The show ended up in such a bad place that it's hard to remember when it ruled the world. 

I haven't kept up with the value at all, but I still think it's a blue-chip "ultra-modern." 

I agree, and it's why I traded doubles for it. I wasn't aware of any news when I traded, so in a way I though I might have got it it on a low end so to speak. I agree in its importance and impact. Time would be on its side. :)

On 4/27/2023 at 7:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree, and it's why I traded doubles for it. I wasn't aware of any news when I traded, so in a way I though I might have got it it on a low end so to speak. I agree in its importance and impact. Time would be on its side. :)

Much like any other investment, it's often best to go in for the long haul. 

But I've always looked at the hobby as a passion rather than an investment. 

On 4/27/2023 at 7:59 PM, newshane said:

Much like any other investment, it's often best to go in for the long haul. 

But I've always looked at the hobby as a passion rather than an investment. 

Amen to that! 

I have been rewatching the show while I work out, and I like it 10x as much as I did in first run.  It probably helps that the super slow parts aren’t as painful when watches back to back instead of a week or a few months apart.  The same problems that made me stop watching are still there (plot armor, normally competent characters becoming deaf and blind in order to get attacked, teleporting zombies, poor resource management, and so on).  I stopped watching last time when the gang had Negan in their sights but instead shot out a bunch of windows, but I’ll power through this time.

I think some viewers try and view the show (zombies aside) as a realistic type show where everything (zombies aside) should make sense.

Its based on a comic book so thats how I watch it.

Z Nation took it to a whole other level but I still love that show too.

I forgive a lot of the problems TWD has and try and focus on the things that made it great.

Ive watched the series around 15 times now and I still enjoy it.

Some scenes still make my eyes tear up.

Nothing good happens to/for anyone on TWD.

Its a beautiful tragedy.