• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saga 1 9.8 ripped in CGC case

9 posts in this topic

Long story short, I purchased a Saga 1 9.8 from a fellow boardie 4 few years ago. It arrived with a cracked case during shipping and the seller refunded me a small amount. I stored it in a box ever since until I took it out today to look at it. It looks like the cover page is ripped at the staples. Im unsure if this is due to air escaping or what, but Im super bummed. Does anyone know how bad the grade will be now? :cry: Attached images. 

IMG_3778.thumb.JPG.a7ee3b706ae6fb0cc06e536ec242e91a.JPGIMG_3776.thumb.JPG.183138665917c3167984629140f73ef3.JPGIMG_3777.thumb.JPG.3d85c2cc16a5f38080569256fe78a305.JPGIMG_3780.thumb.JPG.0878328d820c5368f01bef52de62496e.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

Edited by Jo Seph

The seal is in the inner well so the crack wouldn't be responsible for any air escaping.  The damage probably occurred during the blow that caused the crack.  The book's cover sort of acts as arms holding the book up so when it gets slammed toward the outer edge the cover stays in place but the body of the book has a hammer effect that could cause the tear.  I had this happen in a Mylite 4.  Not to the degree your book has but it stressed at the staples.    

If you've ever open a CGC case and removed the book you'll notice there is a bit of static electricity between the cover and the inner well. If you hit the case hard enough the static electricity will keep the cover in place, but the interior pages will move with the force (and take the staples with them if the force is great enough). I've seen this a couple of times with the newer case, but apparently the same mechanism is in the place for the older slab design as well. 

Sadly, this book is now nowhere close to a 9.8 any more. It is in the lower to mid grades with the popped staple. 

Edited by MadGenius

I'm sorry about your book. The posts above accurately reflect what likely happened in this situation. I hope you didn't spend a lot on this book. I suppose you could still crack it out and keep it as a reading copy...   :(

11 hours ago, Jo Seph said:

Now that I think back, its very possible I missed it. Makes me sad. Very sad.

I am sorry this happened to you.  I have learned to sit down with any newly arrived slab and thoroughly inspect the whole book. I'm talking stare at it . Not just the slab but the book inside the slab. What you experienced could happen even without damage to the slab if the book is a little loose inside the inner well. I like it when CGC uses a wedge to hold the book in place. I think it helps. My advice is usually to ask for your money back if the slab has sustained damage. As you discovered, the damage was not isolated to the slab. Returning a 15 dollar Reholder fee does not cut it. I suspect the slab, when originally shipped, had some movement inside the packaging so this is on the seller.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I am sorry this happened to you.  I have learned to sit down with any newly arrived slab and thoroughly inspect the whole book. I'm talking stare at it . Not just the slab but the book inside the slab. What you experienced could happen even without damage to the slab if the book is a little loose inside the inner well. I like it when CGC uses a wedge to hold the book in place. I think it helps. My advice is usually to ask for your money back if the slab has sustained damage. As you discovered, the damage was not isolated to the slab. Returning a 15 dollar Reholder fee does not cut it. I suspect the slab, when originally shipped, had some movement inside the packaging so this is on the seller.

You are correct again, BB! I always inspect the entire holder and the book inside the holder for possible damage. The wedge is designed to keep the book tight inside the inner well---they use it because certain books won't fit snugly inside a conventional well without it. In addition, it's a good idea to double check the entire heat seal on the inner well; I've actually seen rare cases where part of the pages or cover were accidentally sealed into the heat seal itself.    :whatthe:

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

In addition, it's a good idea to double check the entire heat seal on the inner well; I've actually seen rare cases where part of the pages or cover were accidentally sealed into the heat seal itself.    :whatthe:

This happened to me ! Many years ago. It was a Strange Tales 110 inside an original label slab. I had just purchased it and decided to deslab it. On the early inner wells you didn't even need to do any cutting, just sort of peel it away. Upon starting to peel I see it is tearing away at the Front Cover. Thinking at first that I screwed up I soon see the cover was heat sealed all along one side = I never had a chance. I must admit CGC was very good about everything, totally taking responsibility. I got my money back from the seller. The seller was a dealer and big submitter so CGC made him whole with a generous store credit. Good times !!!