• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX terminates entire staff?
4 4

127 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Transplant said:

They have/had a staff? :whatthe:

I reached out to Aaron Sasson to ask.  He said he was hired four years ago, and that some others were hired a year before him. It sounded like he was the most recent hire. It seemed to me that he was saying their job was to make everything "legit" and to clean up the mess that happened in the first 10 years of CGG/PGA/PGX.  He was hopeful that they were making things better, but frustrated that so many obvious things (like keeping records of what had been graded) weren't done (or were done once in a while).

4 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Hm so does this mean that PGX is insolvent?  :insane:

I would think it means record keeping was an issue for 15+ years on what would possibly have been a revenue stream of $250,000 per year, which probably matters to... oh, I don't know... some tax-related organization. hm

12 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

So now is not a good time for me to send my books to PGX as to when was it ever?

Right. 

But assuming PGX goes away, those dealers who have spent all their time pretending that PGX was legit are forced to choose between CGC and not-CGC... or to pretend they really knew how to grade all along and try to sell their books as "raw but just as good as slabbed, so pay the full slabbed price" (which will fail because they could have done that the whole time). hm

Another thought...

Since PGX was never fully-legit... but they had customers anyway... perhaps they have truly sold out to one (or more) of their best customers, who will now be able to slab their own books... and also to slab any additional submissions.  Let's face it, PGX has business despite being fraudulent on multiple occasions.  PGX will have continued business even if every other slab is a dealer picking his own grades... because PGX customers literally don't care.  Why continue fighting the "history of fraud" when you could just cash out and fully embrace it without consequence?

Just now, valiantman said:

Another thought...

Since PGX was never fully-legit... but they had customers anyway... perhaps they have truly sold out to one (or more) of their best customers, who will now be able to slab their own books... and also to slab any additional submissions.  Let's face it, PGX has business despite being fraudulent on multiple occasions.  PGX will have continued business even if every other slab is a dealer picking his own grades... because PGX customers literally don't care.  Why continue fighting the "history of fraud" when you could just cash out and fully embrace it without consequence?

Adding to my own thoughts... the best part is... even if it becomes known that PGX is a complete fraud starting mid-2018, collectors will assume pre-2018 books are only "half-fraudulent" since that was PGX for 15 years.  What would the new owners do if the grading date is a show-stopper?  Fake it.  There are no records of what PGX has graded.  There's no reason a book graded today by PGX couldn't say "Graded 05/15"... except for truthfulness... which has never been a problem at PGX anyway. lol

It's so complicated, and because PGX is just an "opinion" anyway... there's a good chance the courts would never figure out exactly what the fraud is... and PGX customers haven't cared for over a decade anyway.

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Instead of pubic hair in the slabs, are we now gonna see pizza grease stains?

Pizza comes in the slab, the book is used as a napkin after you crack it.

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Instead of pubic hair in the slabs, are we now gonna see pizza grease stains?

would that look like a newton ring? :smile:

CGC must be laughin' all the way to the bank.

Not that PGX was ever considered serious competition, but it seems every alternative Grading Company that trys to compete just completely drops the ball.

If Borock can't make it work, who the hell can?